Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Improving the email notifications of forum updates

Posted by garyhodgson 
Improving the email notifications of forum updates
April 29, 2011 04:25AM
Hi,

Is there anyway to make the email notification of forum posts a little more useful? I appreciate being told that there is an update to a thread i'm following, but it seems a bit antiquated, and inefficient, that the content of the update is not in the email, and instead we have to click through to the forum each time.

I phorum.org site is currently down due to the storms over in the US so I can't look myself if there is a setting or plugin that could improve things, but perhaps the admins know of a way?

Cheers,
Gary
Re: Improving the email notifications of forum updates
May 02, 2011 02:48AM
Now that the Phorum site is back I had a look for a possible solution and it seems that the template for the notification email can have the following tags:

- %full_body% The full body of the message including all HTML/BBCode tags, use with care!
- %plain_body% The body of the message which is stripped from all HTML/BBCode tags.

(I found this whilst reading: [trac.phorum.org])

It sounds like this could be a solution, if the admins agree that it's a worthwhile improvement.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
May 09, 2011 08:00PM
I don't know about the admins, but I definitely agree it'd be a great improvement!
June 15, 2011 03:15AM
Is there an Admin reading these forums who can perhaps answer if the suggestion above is feasible? Adding the %plain_body% tag to the outgoing email format seems like an easy and useful thing to do.

Thanks,
Gary

October 10, 2011 08:49AM
It feels like i'm beating a dead horse here, and I hate "bumping" theads, but is there an admin of the forums who could at least have the courtesy to say whether the above suggestion is possible?

Having to navigate from my mail client to the browser just to see an update to a thread is getting really old, particularly from an android device. The suggestion above is one change to a template. I will happily help implement it if it is too much work for the admin team smiling smiley

December 30, 2013 07:48AM
Hello again Admins,

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when an email from the RepRap forum arrived and the actual message of the post was contained within! I was then sadly disappointed to find that this has only been turned on for the German forum.

Would you please consider also implementing it for the remaining forums?

Best regards,
Gary

December 30, 2013 06:00PM
Good suggestion, done!

Bill
December 30, 2013 06:18PM
Many thanks Bill!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login