Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Categories and sub categories

Posted by robsbots 
Categories and sub categories
June 30, 2011 06:44PM
Hi all.

I have had a quick look at the MediaWiki help wiki and it say's you can have categories and sub categories. You can also have a page beloning to more than one category. I would like to propose organising the Reprap wiki into categories and sub categories.

Each machine could have a category. The Medel, Prusa, Huxley etc.
This would be further split into print head, electronics etc. These could have more than one category and so link to more than one machine design for the "current print head" say.

You would also have a category for general interest. But not connected to a specific design.

An administration/organisation category.

A user category. This would contain all user input and be kept seperate from the main machine categories until a specific design was adopted by the "trunk" and then reclassified to the correct category.
All pages created by normal users would automaticly be placed in the user category. The forums could be used to call peoples attention to anything a user might be doing so this information would not be lost in the background. It would also mean the forum wad used for disscusion and the wiki for publication of information.

"Normal" users would not be able to create categories and would need to request a new category as needed.

These are just my thoughts on the subject confused smiley. There would need to be discussion on what categories where initially needed but the system should stay quite tidy when done. It should also be faily simple to maintain and navigate.

I am more than happy to have a crack at doing it smiling bouncing smiley, but may need a little guidance from those in the know. I havn't been here long and havn't covered a quater of the site yet, but I keep finding gems of information in little back ally's and would love to shine some light on them and get them found more easily.

There seems to be loads of categories, most of which are under used or of little use at the present.

Let me know what you think. What categories we need and any thoughts on how to arrange them.

Regards

Rob
robsbots
Re: Categories and sub categories
July 06, 2011 01:35AM
So you basically haven't noticed that dozens of categories already exist in the Reprap-wiki and that you are free to create your own ...

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
July 06, 2011 02:41AM
Hi all

Yes I have seen the categorys, but there seem to be lots, some are copies of others with slight name changes, some are under used. I was thinking that if category creation was mininalized and standardised the wiki would become more managable and would almost take care of its self.

A standard list of top categories would be required, then these could branch out to sub categories, but at the moment there seems to be to much "noise".

The top categories would need disscusion but once sorted it would be easier to categorize the uncategosied pages and easier to navigate the wiki and find all the juicy stuff.

I keep looking at the uncatogorized pages but where do you put them. Theres so many places they could go.

I would love to hit that list and sort everything but not really sure what goes where. There are just to many categories most of which could be culled but I feel a structure needs to be agreed before I go off half cocked and start moving stuff.

Just my thoughts.

Please agree, dissagree, flame etc below spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 06, 2011 03:00AM
Good that you are volunteering!
i wish you good luck to get this done.
Especially the "would need disscusion" - part.

* Blog
* Google+
July 06, 2011 03:20AM
Thats the bit that I think needs to come first but I don't have enough experiance of the project to offer a valid opinion yet. I'm still working on getting the kit together for my first build.

If that can happen the rest should be simple, but until there is a structure in place its difficult to structure the data in any meanigful way

I'm hoping to get busy soon with hardware but at the moment I'm at a loose end and want to get in there. Just need a prod in the right direction

Rob
robsbots
July 06, 2011 03:26AM
No one has.
It took me a while to learn that there is no "RepRap project" but just a lot of people each building and improving their own printers and from time to time looking left and right to whatch the others are doing.
Most of the talking you find is just general small talk and wild ideas instead of focused issue solving in a group where everyone has their own expertise and findings are gathered, analysed, documented and decided uppon.

* Blog
* Google+
July 06, 2011 03:39AM
This is exactly what I'm finding. I have been on the IRC recently and have found boundless information on there. I keep pinching the useful links and adding them to my own page.

If the wiki could be structured in such a way that say all the main stream Prusa info was under a Prusa category and improvments that make it to main stream use are then added but until they are main stream and still in dev they are confined to user dev category's.

I'm currently just collecting info for my own use, such as UK specific retailers and Mendel/Prusa stuff so its not much use to the general population as yet.

I have loads of windows open currenlty for hot end design cause I fancy a crack at that, but until I have something that works and has been tested I feel any info I put up about that should be confined to my page or a user/dev caategory. May be not that easy to find but I can alert people here or on the IRC if they want to check it out. Then if it works and is usable it could later be moved to mainstream under a Prusa category or more likely a hot end/extruder category.

Until its in general use keep it out the way and keep the background noise down so main stream stuff is easy to find.

Regards

Rob
robsbots
August 06, 2011 04:03PM
With the time I started to contribute more regularly to the wiki, and that helped me in the edition of our recent fablab's wiki.
Today I even reorganized the whole thing, adding categories and sub-categories (ok, only for 70ish pages here :p )

But since I like to keep things well organized, I may also participate at these efforts smiling smiley
November 26, 2011 08:35PM
The wiki has now been thoroughly categorized - but more categorization is definitely needed.

Also - someone just need to squeeze the articles out of category:twiki to other categories.

If you are curious, then start looking here:
[reprap.org]
November 27, 2011 03:30AM
Thanks a lot for all the work, Glenn.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login