Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Request for funds: BOB Simpson

Posted by nicholas.seward 
Request for funds: BOB Simpson
December 09, 2013 02:53PM
I have been considering building the ultimate RepRap machine. The machine would use nothing but PLA for the whole robot with the exception of string, limit switches, steppers, controller board, and the hot end. I am dubbing the concept BOB Simpson (BOltless and Bearingless).

I have the basics all mapped out. (Lashed geared double lamina compliant joints, proportional gear drive joints, gear bearings for pulleys, etc.) There is still a lot of work to do. How do you make a solid stepper mount without bolts? How do we tension the string without any vitamins? I want to print everything in small sections (To avoid a heated bed) directly on existing surfaces so we can avoid the need for a none-PLA build platform.

Time is tight and this isn't high on my list right now so I thought I would give the bounty system a try. I set the goal pretty high at $5000. I asked myself how much money would I need to get it to be on the top of my list.

This is an experiment in how the bounty system will work for something like this. Let's find out.

BOUNTY LINK

For this to work, you need to pledge if you want this to happen AND you have to use your contacts to solicit more support. I would imagine that if only the people that see this post pledge then this won't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 10:50PM by MattMoses.
Re: BOB Simpson
December 10, 2013 12:10PM
One way to avoid bolts and nuts are to use the practice of "Mortise and Tenon Joints" from woodworking long time ago. But some glue might be needed in some situations. ABS might be better than PLA for clicks and insertions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 12:10PM by gzmask.
Re: BOB Simpson
December 10, 2013 12:56PM
@gzmask: It is too early to say but I am planning on testing a whole slew of fastenerless plastic joinery. I will use as many different techniques as I can come up. (Including what you listed.)

I already use printed threads for GUS and Wally. It would be reasonable to use them to join plates.
Re: Request for funds: BOB Simpson
December 29, 2013 08:26PM
Just noticed this .. jumping on the bandwagon.

I think for bounties to really work, you need them prominently in a sidebar of the site, or even a way to see the list within the slicing app itself.
January 02, 2014 05:09PM
Hi Jason,

I agree that the bounties are going to need a lot of publicity in order to take off (or "achieve critical mass" as I sometimes say). Bounties are already featured prominently in the forums - a sticky at the top of the general page, and this dedicated subforum also near the top of the page. I don't think we can make them any more visible in the forums without making things look unpleasantly strange.

Maybe we can put a link to this subforum from the Wiki sidebar, underneath the "Donation Page" link. And maybe we can get an announcement on the RepRap Blog.

By the way, you mention "a way to see the list within the slicing app itself". Can you elaborate on this? Are you talking about software bounties for a particular slicing application? (Like this one for slic3r?)
January 27, 2014 11:44AM
MattMoses
Hi Jason,

I agree that the bounties are going to need a lot of publicity in order to take off (or "achieve critical mass" as I sometimes say). Bounties are already featured prominently in the forums - a sticky at the top of the general page, and this dedicated subforum also near the top of the page. I don't think we can make them any more visible in the forums without making things look unpleasantly strange.

Maybe we can put a link to this subforum from the Wiki sidebar, underneath the "Donation Page" link. And maybe we can get an announcement on the RepRap Blog.

By the way, you mention "a way to see the list within the slicing app itself". Can you elaborate on this? Are you talking about software bounties for a particular slicing application? (Like this one for slic3r?)

My understanding of the comment was to add in-line advertising into the popular user interface software programs, that way all users that fetch the new versions will have a small reminder (once) about the existence of the bounty system and perhaps a menu option that has a bit more detail on the proposal and a link to a useful landing site in the forum or wiki.

Kalle
--
Lahti, Finland
The only stable form of government is Open Source Government. - Kalle Pihlajasaari 2013
February 19, 2014 10:11PM
Take a look at my initial work on an all-printed 3d-printer on thingiverse: [www.thingiverse.com]
February 20, 2014 07:39PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login