Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prometheus Hot End now on Indiegogo!

Posted by RP Iron Man 
Prometheus Hot End now on Indiegogo!
March 31, 2014 04:02PM
This is the Indiegogo Campaign thread for the Prometheus Hot End project

The Indiegogo Campaign just went up so check it out! I really appreciate your support smiling smiley

----------------

Some basic info about the perks:

- Worldwide shipping is included in the price of each perk! I managed to find a cheap worldwide shipping option so don't worry about extra shipping costs if you live on the other side of the world smiling smiley

- There are a limited number of Early Bird perks available so act now! The Early Bird perks are discounted and ship earlier than the standard perks. The Early Bird perks are just 74 USD! (worldwide shipping included) eye popping smiley

- Standard perks are 79 USD (worldwide shipping included). After the campaign, the Prometheus Hot End kits will be available on my website (going up soon!) for a slightly higher price (likely 79 USD not including shipping fees) so you are still getting a discount even if you miss the Early Bird perks! Also, all of the perks will ship in the order they are received so earlier supporters are rewarded with faster delivery.

- You can select the 1.75mm version or 3mm version.

- All hot end kits ship with a 0.4mm nozzle orifice. I am going to start testing other nozzle orifice diameters soon!

- Please note that the Prometheus Hot End is currently designed for direct drive extruders and I don't have an integrated bowden version available yet. However, you can easily design a plastic bowden coupling adapter to use Prometheus with your bowden extruder. Weighing just 30g, the Prometheus Hot End is ideal for high speed printing on a bowden 3d printer!

- You can also select a laser-cut acrylic groove mount plate as an add-on for easy integration with your groove mount extruder.

----------------

That's a short overview. Be sure to check out the campaign page and back this project.

**Intuitive MULTI-FILAMENT 3D Printing** -- Successfully Funded on Kickstarter!

I designed the Prometheus V2 Customizable All-Metal Hot End. Buy online
Prometheus Hot End discussion thread
Re: Prometheus Hot End now on Indiegogo!
April 03, 2014 12:03AM
Hey guys,

First of all, thank you to those who have contributed! Your support is very much appreciated smiling smiley

While this has definitely been a slow start I am now working on several things to increase exposure. Admittedly, the marketing of this project has been a bit of a stumbling block for me. However, I have received lots of great advice from people on the forums and I am now working to get this campaign noticed!

I have contacted publications including 3ders, 3D Printer World, and Hack-A-Day so they should be able to bring some press exposure to this campaign. I have also contacted RichRap (Richard Horne) about doing an objective review of the Prometheus Hot End. RichRap is a RepRap core developer and is well respected throughout the 3D printer community. A RichRap review of the Prometheus Hot End will show everyone how well this hot end performs and also help people understand why it performs so well and what sets it apart from other hot ends.

Within the next two weeks I am going to go ahead and order the Early Bird production batch of parts from my suppliers using a combination of private funds and Indiegogo contributions. I have realized that the key here is just getting my hot end out there ASAP so that people can see how well it performs. At this point the campaign will be carried out to completion regardless of the funding success so don't be afraid to contribute!

Once I make the Early Bird production order and receive all of the components, I will start shipping the kits out to people who have backed this project. I expect to begin shipping Early Bird perks before the projected June shipping date smiling smiley This project is going to happen no matter how successful the campaign is, so there is nothing stopping you from grabbing your Prometheus Hot End Early Bird perk right now!

Also, remember to spread the word to everyone you know so that we can put this funding goal behind us!

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the support and advice.

Happy printing!

April 06, 2014 03:51PM
Hey guys,

Thanks to all the newest contributors for supporting this project. I really appreciate the support.

I just recently got some great press on 3D Hacker and 3D Printer World. Check out those articles! I am now reaching out to several more 3D printing publications to spread the word and get this campaign rolling.

I also started a Twitter account so follow me to see all of my ongoing updates. I am now updating my Google Plus account so you can also follow me there for future developments.

I am also in contact with "Sublime" on the RepRap Forum (Brad M, Designer of Tantillus 3D printer) and he is going to do a review of Prometheus in the next week so stay tuned for that!

I am now working on putting together a video to help explain a bit more about me and my hot end. I'll try to get this up within the next week as well.

Lots of stuff on the go so be sure to check back here for updates. Remember to share this with all of your 3D printer buddies so we can get this campaign funded!

I'll keep you all informed.

Happy printing grinning smiley

April 09, 2014 03:09PM
Hey guys,

We're almost half way there! Thanks to all of the contributors.

I just sent out a prototype to RepRap Core Developer "Sublime" (Brad M, Designer of Tantillus 3D printer) so he is going to do a review in the next few days. I am working on getting a prototype out to Richard Horne as well so stay tuned!
I am also getting together the prepayment to begin production for the Early Bird Prometheus Kits. The production should begin on Monday next week so I can realistically expect to start shipping out kits by mid May.

So what are you waiting for! Jump on board and contribute to this campaign and you will receive your hot end before June. A new Prometheus Hot End will make your printer very happy.

Keep on sharing this campaign so we can get this project fully funded!

Keep on printing :-)

April 11, 2014 04:23PM
Hey guys,

The campaign is now 60% funded! Thanks to the latest contributors.

I have a few updates for everyone. I recently sent out a prototype to RepRap Core Developer "Sublime" (Brad M, Designer of Tantillus 3D printer) and yesterday I sent out another prototype to Michael Zenner (aka "ZennmasterM") from 3D Hacker for a review. Michael Zenner has done many reviews on hot ends so stay tuned for his review of the Prometheus Hot End prototype!

These reviews should be up in the next week. I am also still trying to get in contact with Richard Horne "RichRap" about doing a review of Prometheus.

In other news, Prometheus Early Bird production has commenced! I sent the prepayment for production to my manufacturer and they are preparing to start machining the parts. I expect to be shipping by mid May so grab your Early Bird kit today!

There is a lot going on so I am going to try to keep everyone informed. Spread the word so we can put this funding goal behind us!

Happy printing!

April 15, 2014 05:28PM
Hello Everyone,

The campaign is almost fully funded with over $2500 in contributions! Thanks to the latest contributors.

A few updates for you all. RepRap Core Developer Brad aka "Sublime" is working on a review and Michael "ZennmasterM" Zenner will receive his prototype for testing in the next few days! We will likely be seeing the reviews in the next week. I also managed to get in contact with Richard Horne. He is currently tied up with work but he happily agreed to do a review sometime in the next few weeks!

Recently I have been working on getting my website up and running. It should be up in the next few days so I will keep you guys informed when it goes up.

The components are starting to arrive! Earlier today I received the bulk order for the thermistors and resistor heaters for Prometheus. Most of the components are already on order so I am just waiting for them to arrive. The production run for the machined parts is well under way and going smoothly as planned.

Let's keep this campaign going!

Happy printing :-)

April 17, 2014 06:47PM
Great News!

Thanks to all of the supporters! Prometheus is now fully funded!

I really appreciate all of the support from everyone in the 3D printing community. This hot end has great potential and thanks to you guys it will soon become a reality!

Now that the funding goal is behind us I am thinking about possible stretch goals to keep things rolling. Many people were asking about different nozzle sizes so I think that would make an appropriate stretch goal. I will need more funds to do a production run of a different nozzle size, so having more funds available would allow me to get started on this sooner.

I was debating between a smaller 0.25mm nozzle or a larger 0.6mm nozzle. A 0.25mm nozzle would be ideal for very detailed printing, while a 0.6mm nozzle would be great for faster printing and would also allow Prometheus to print Taulman T-Glase.

Let me know which optional nozzle size you guys would prefer in the comments!

Thanks again for all of the support!

Happy Printing smiling smiley

April 21, 2014 06:18PM
Hey Guys,

We are now well past the funding goal. Thanks so much to all of the supporters!

I have received a lot of input about possible stretch goals and I am currently weighing all of my options. Just so you guys know, I plan on offering BOTH 0.25mm and 0.6mm nozzles in the future, but I am just trying to get an idea of what people are more interested in.

I have also been asked about offering a bowden integrated heat sink. I realized that this is an important feature that many people would appreciate so I am working on a solution for this. I will likely offer an option of bowden or standard heat sink for all supporters before I start shipping. The bowden hot ends may ship a few weeks later than the standard hot ends. Anyway, I will be sure to let everyone know once I have all of the details sorted.

Let's keep this campaign going!

April 29, 2014 04:35PM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all of the ongoing support. The campaign is now over 140% funded!

A few updates for you all. I have slowly been receiving more of the parts for the Prometheus Kits. The small cooling fans and metric hardware just arrived and there are other parts on the way!

I have also been sorting out the stretch goals. I really want to offer both the 0.6mm and 0.25mm nozzle sizes, but in order to do so I need to have enough demand. For now I think it is better to offer the 0.6mm nozzle size as the first stretch goal. I understand that many of you were more interested in the 0.25mm nozzle size. However, the 0.25mm nozzle will require more testing due to the higher extrusion force so I think it is a better idea to start with a more user friendly nozzle size. A 0.6mm nozzle size will also allow you guys to print with Taulman T-Glase!

I am setting the stretch goal for the 0.6mm nozzle at $8000. We are half way through the campaign with $4300 funded so I think this is doable. I understand that this stretch goal is still a bit high, but this is the funding that I would require to be able to offer the 0.6mm nozzle in this campaign. Even if we don't meet this stretch goal I will still be offering BOTH the 0.6mm nozzle and the 0.25mm nozzle sizes soon after the campaign, so don't worry! Meeting this stretch goal will simply allow me to offer these extra nozzle sizes sooner :-)

Let's keep this campaign going so we can meet the stretch goal. Remember to spread the word as far as you can!

Happy printing!

May 12, 2014 05:29PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much to everyone for the continued support. The campaign is now 180% funded!

Just a few updates. It looks like the Early bird perks are running out with just two Prometheus 1.75mm Early Bird perks remaining!

Many people were asking about bowden integration and I have been working on a solution for this. At this point, I need a bit of info from all of you about your bowden needs! I am asking that you please take a few moments to post your preference of "bowden" or "standard" hot end in the comments. For the bowden hot end you will need a specific pneumatic coupler that fits into the heat sink. I am using the same modified John Guest couplers that E3D uses so if you already have a few then you are good to go. Later on I will add these couplers as add-on perks that will ship with your hot end. I will need to know if you need just one coupler for the heat sink, or if you want to order a pair of them. I also need to know if you need PTFE bowden tubing with your order. I will add these as optional add-on perks later but I just want an idea of what everyone needs now.

TL/DR: You need to post a comment on the campaign page: indicate whether you ordered "1.75mm" version or "3mm" version and post "bowden" or "standard". If "bowden": post "one coupler", "two couplers", or any required number of couplers, etc... If you need bowden tubing: post "750mm bowden tubing", "1000mm bowden tubing", or any required length, etc...

Thanks everyone! Let's keep this campaign moving!

May 20, 2014 02:57PM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all of your feedback and support. The campaign is now over 200% Funded!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I have finished sorting out the details for bowden integration. Since I do not have the quantity demand to make two different versions I decided to make all of the Prometheus Hot Ends bowden compatible. I made some minor changes to the heat sink design that allows Prometheus to be used in both standard and bowden configurations. I also managed to adjust a few other dimensions to eliminate mounting issues with some printers.

- Robo3d Users: Don't worry about printing a modified x-carriage if you own a Robo 3D printer! I adjusted the mounting dimensions so that Prometheus will be a drop in replacement for your old hot end.

- Bowden Users: If you want to use Prometheus in a bowden configuration then simply add your required bowden couplers/tube length to your contribution. I added extra perks for these add-ons so please visit the campaign page and select the perks that you require. Please do this as soon as you can as the campaign ends in 11 days!

- Shipping Date: Due to these design changes the shipping date will be a little later than initially expected. The revised Prometheus Hot Ends are now in production and should be complete by mid-June. I can realistically expect to start shipping by late June so you guys will start receiving your perks by early July. I apologize for this delay but I hope you guys can understand. I am trying to satisfy everyone's needs with these last minute mods!

*Remember to select your required bowden coupler/tubing add-on perks before the end of the campaign!

We only have 11 days left so let's keep this campaign moving!

May 29, 2014 09:32PM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much to all who have supported this campaign!

Tomorrow is the last day of the campaign and I have now raised $7000. I am very thankful for the incredible support I have received from the community and I am really excited to bring Prometheus into existence!

I am confident that Prometheus will make many printers very happy and I can't wait to start shipping! The production is well under way and I will be sure to keep you all informed of the progress right up until delivery.

If you are interested in using Prometheus in a bowden configuration remember to select your required couplers and tubing add-on perks before the end of the campaign! There is only 1 day left so please add your couplers and tubing as soon as you can!

Once again, thanks so much to everyone for all of the support. This project was made possible by your contributions so you are all responsible for making Prometheus a reality!

Prometheus will be available for pre-order on my website after the campaign but you can contribute to this campaign now (If you haven't done so already) to take advantage of the free shipping!

I keep you all updated!

May 30, 2014 08:04PM
Hey Everyone,

There are only a few hours left in the campaign!

If you are interested in using Prometheus in a bowden configuration please select your required couplers and tubing add-on perks before the end of the campaign!

Thanks,
Eric

June 07, 2014 07:18PM
Hey Everyone,

Just a quick update. My online store is now up and running! You can check it out at [www.dta-labs.com]. If there is anyone who did not get a chance to contribute during the campaign, you can now pre-order the Prometheus Hot End through my website.

The Indiegogo Campaign production run is well underway and I have already received all of the bowden couplers and PTFE tubing. I am now working on getting all of the orders organized. If there is anyone who contributed during the campaign but forgot to add their bowden coupler and tubing requirements, please let me know! I would like to sort this out asap.

Once again, thanks so much to everyone who supported this project!

Eric

July 08, 2014 06:02PM
Hey Everyone,

I am really sorry about the lack of updates these past few weeks! I have been really busy but things have been coming along.

Most of the machined parts are finished, but the 1-Piece Stainless Steel Nozzles are still in production. These parts are taking longer than expected because they require some really tricky machining. At this point, the Nozzles are approaching completion and I am preparing the orders.

I am really excited to start shipping these hot ends to all you guys. Since the Nozzles are taking longer than expected, it looks like shipping will be pushed back a few weeks. I will try to be realistic and say that I will likely start shipping by the end of July. I would really like to send out these hot ends as soon as possible, but I want to make sure all of the parts are properly machined and inspected before they are sent out. I hope you all can understand this.

Since we are getting closer to shipping, I want to remind anyone who has yet to specify their bowden coupler/tubing needs. If there is anyone who contributed during the campaign but forgot to add their bowden coupler and tubing requirements, please let me know! I would like to sort this out before I start shipping.

Just a reminder, my online store is now up and running! You can check it out at [www.dta-labs.com]. If there is anyone who did not get a chance to contribute during the campaign, you can now pre-order the Prometheus Hot End through my website.

Once again, thanks so much to everyone who supported this project! I am going to try to update more frequently so that we are all on the same page. I really appreciate your help in making my idea a reality and I can't wait to release Prometheus!

Thanks.
July 27, 2014 01:27AM
Hey Guys,

I am really sorry about the delayed update. A lot has been happening and I just haven't had the time to post. I hope you all can understand!

It's been a long road but everything is finally coming together! Last week I received a few samples of the production hot ends and they look and work great. The quality of the machining and overall finish is exactly what I was hoping for.

Prometheus in all its glory grinning smiley

The complete production batch of parts will arrive on Monday. I have all of the other components sorted so I am just waiting on the rest of the machined parts.

Bags of kit components:

Tomorrow I am going to try to put together a set of step-by-step instructions for assembly.

In addition to this startup business, I work as an Industrial CNC Router Operator so unfortunately I can't spend all of my time on shipping, but I am going to be working on shipping out these hot ends as fast as I can!

I will likely start shipping on Tuesday next week. I will be shipping the orders in the order I received them and I realistically should have ALL orders (including the orders made after the campaign) shipped within the next 2 weeks.

I can't wait to release Prometheus into the wild! I hope you guys are half as excited as I am about this grinning smiley I am confident that Prometheus will make many happy printers.

If you have any questions, comments, or last minute changes to your shipping address, just let me know.

Finally, I would like to extend my utmost gratitude to all of those who supported my campaign. Thank you so much for believing in Prometheus, and also for believing in me! Creating the Prometheus Hot End has been my dream and now it is finally coming together thanks to all of your support smiling smiley I now have my own 3D Printing startup: DisTech Automation (http://www.dta-labs.com/) running and I have several ideas that I plan to bring to the 3D Printing community in the future. I hope I will be able to give back to the community by sharing the Prometheus Hot End and all of my future innovations!

Thanks, guys.

Happy Printing :-)

Eric

September 06, 2014 12:03PM
Hey Everyone,

I am so sorry about the late update.

As of about 2 weeks ago I finished shipping all of the Indiegogo hot ends. There are only a couple of hot ends that have yet to be shipped. If you have not received an email about this then your hot end has already been shipped. If you have not yet received it then it is likely still on its way.

The second production batch is almost ready so I expect to be shipping pre-orders within 2 weeks. I am going to be shipping orders as they were received so don't hesitate to grab your Prometheus Hot End early!

If you have any questions about anything really feel free to get in touch via the contact form on my website:

[www.dta-labs.com]

Thanks so much for all of your support!

Happy Printing grinning smiley

Eric

October 14, 2014 08:08PM
Hey Everyone,

I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving weekend!

I received the second batch of machined parts about a week ago and they look great! I just finished packing and shipping all of the remaining orders this past weekend.

Now that all of the pre-orders are out the door I am shipping all new orders within 3 days. Don't hesitate to grab your Prometheus Hot End and be sure to get in touch through my website (http://www.dta-labs.com/) if you have any questions.

Thanks so much for all of your support!

Happy Printing grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login