Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lost Our School 3D Printer....

Posted by agentspyname 
Lost Our School 3D Printer....
March 06, 2016 10:18PM
Dear RepRap Community,

My name is Alex, and I am a student who attends a Brampton,Ontario,Canada Middle School. In the last few months, a couple of teachers and the school got money and parts together to try and put together a RepRap kit; however, one of the teachers feels that he is entitled to his original parts. The kit was never built as several parts were missing from it as his friend gave it to him. The school had paid money to get a few parts, including aMendel Hot End for it. As you know, we can't use a Mendel Hot End without a Mendel Machine, and those are not readily available these days. The school sadly had to grant him his initial donation back. While the 3D Printer will be built by other students at the school, it will not be able for students to use to build and create things as I initially planned. This one teacher holds full control over what happens to it, including taking it back. This 3D Printer was supposed to be a free machine, something all students could learn how to use, and eventually learn how to build RepRaps themselves.

Keeping the machine in the Public School Domain is very important to me, as I feel that all students should have access to amazing technology such as this, and by having the 3D Printer owned by one teacher, it can never be truly used by all students. This is why I am asking you, the community for your support in this. The school does not have enough money left to purchase back I'm thinking of starting up a GoFundMe page to recoup the money to buy a new kit. I am desperate to have our 3D Printer up and running and to better educate the entire school about 3D Printing and Making.

I was just curious the support on the forums, I didn't want to get anything setup prematurely. Let me know if you guys would be interested in helping us out!

Thanks For Your Advance Support,
Alex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 10:19PM by agentspyname.
Re: Lost Our School 3D Printer....
March 14, 2016 06:40PM
Seems like something that you should first try to solicit from your local community. What you are doing is commendable. I am also trying to get a 3D printer for a makerspace at our local library and I amconsidering a GoFundMe or something similar and reaching out to the community that would use it. While I like your idea I would rather put money in my own community and I bet you should advertie your GoFundMe locally within your school community.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Celia
April 26, 2016 09:19AM
Seems good to me, All the best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 09:20AM by dmocn.
September 20, 2016 07:57AM
Yes you can use a Mendel hotend without a Mendel machine. Duh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login