Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cheap linuxcnc on the raspberry pi?

Posted by mung 
cheap linuxcnc on the raspberry pi?
October 08, 2014 09:28PM
I just realised its 2am, I started trying to create an indiegogo project at 8pm, very long process and I think the project still needs some editing.

I have just finalized the indiegogo project to fund linuxcnc driver development and final testing for the gpio input system (gpio output already works).

I will probably try to edit the project information again tomorrow as I have got rather numb by the late hour and think I was starting to ramble.
Please no one fund it for a few days in case I have made a mistake, any comments, advice, or corrections gratefully received.

If anyone is interested check the web site: [www.indiegogo.com]

I feel it is unlikely the project will be funded, but I gave it a try anyways, I will try another funding after this one fails.
Re: cheap linuxcnc on the raspberry pi?
October 09, 2014 12:48AM
$1,600,000 GOAL!!!

Seems high

you stated Total cost £16800 in the description.
you prices seem inflated. you could get all that for $3000 tops.

never use the words 'Drop Ship'

dont use words like 'Chinese' or 'China' or 'Cheap'

find another supplier if you only get price breaks after 10'000 pieces,
most are happy with orders of 100 to get discount prices they cost about $5 each if you buy 100 units,
if it 10'000 units, you may as well start a factory.

30 suppliers, wow, alot can go wrong with a large spectrum supply chain.

dont say you are going to have to buy a laptop, or things you should already have.
you should already have most of that, to warrant auctually offering the product.

the video was boring, enough that i did not watch after 10 seconds.
after 10 seconds, i know if i want to finish.

what you offer as the perk only cost between $50 and you are trying to get $160
I could sell you this kit for $50 no problem.

you have defeated yourself in your description.

good luck in the future mate.
October 09, 2014 01:12AM
you state the following
Mung Via Indiegoo
I do not want to start a business and this project is only here to fund the cost of my expenses

Lower you expenses, and ask for a realistic amount. and make a better video.

List of items required for development and testing of drivers:

high quality storage oscilloscope x2 £4000 (you should only need to pay £200 each =£400 [www.ebay.co.uk])
1080p camera £500 (why? you dont have a smartphone? how do you justify it? =£0)
quality microphone and sound card mixer £300 (what for? =£0)
8 cheap Chinese lathe/mill for cnc conversion £1600 (you are probably right on price, but why do you need? you should get spindles =$1600)
general metalwork and hardware parts etc £1000 (you are wayyy off, this project should budget £500)
16 raspberry pi (A,A+,B,B+) £500 (£250 from aliexpress for 16 units)
New monitors £2000 (second hand shops, electronics stores £200 each for good quality)
16 more parts kits, £1600 (how is this justified?)
other electronic parts general slush fund (resistors, capacitors, breadboards, pcb, etc.....) £1000 (how is this justified? should be about £300 and order what you might need all at on time)
Laser printer for pcb design £150 (this price would get you up to 10 printed board from most sources)
new laptop £1000 (how is this justified? you should already have an operational computer)
signal/function generator (may need two) £2000 ( £ 75 for functional)
High quality multi output power supply £500 (£125 [www.ebay.co.uk] )
Coffee £150 (you are totally justified, but should you be asking?)
Various small hand tools £500 (probably right, but what will you be buying?)
I will take $10 an hour for development time and handling the perks and dealing with suppliers. (you could justify this if you have a product to show, and you should incorparate this into your selling price)

this come up to £3600

you can get it cheaper from shopping better,
Ebay, Aliexpress, Electrical surplus stores etc, etc...

Best Regards
October 09, 2014 06:02AM
I did controller development already and needed neither function generators nor multiple RaspPis. And Eight milling machines to develop one driver? A cheapo WolfStrap is entirely sufficient.

Seriously, this sounds much more like a christmas wishlist than actual requirement.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 09, 2014 09:36AM
Traumflug
Seriously, this sounds much more like a christmas wishlist than actual requirement.
It doesn't just SOUND like it, it IS like that.

That being said, I'd like to announce my indiegogo project. I'm raising funds to develop a 32-bit ARM-based cold fusion extruder. Now I know what you're thinking...what experience does cdru have at developing a 32-bit ARM-based cold fusion extruder? Well, I have absolutely none. But I'm determined to get this done or take everyone's money trying. Once it's complete, people will have a extruder that is guaranteed to work as long as they don't actually try to use it. Now I can't ensure that even if I don't just run off with the money that a cold fusion extruder is even feasible, let alone a 32-bit one, as I haven't done any actual calculations, but I have spent the last 3 years thinking about extruders so that should be good enough.

I have made some wild ass guesses and illogical assumptions and all I need is $500k to reach my very realistic goal for production. Obviously I'll need a new house, and car, and a kick ass home theater. And food. Lots and lots of food. Delivery pizza is expensive and a key component of my development efforts. Plus since I want to do this full time I've already quit my job but I need to support my family so I decided I'll work for a low salary of $100k/year. This amount should fund me for at least a year. Maybe a year and a half before I'll have to come back and ask for more.

To help raise funds, I'll be selling $.02 resistors for $100 a piece. Now yes that does sound a lot, but I'll only need to sell 5000 kits instead of 10,000 which is a much more reasonable expectation. If people purchase more than one resistor, I'll give them the option of picking the value for an additional one time fee of $50 per resistor.

If anyone is interested, please send me your credit card number, or your paypal credentials, or just your bank account and routing number. I'll handle the rest for you and get back to you someday, maybe.
October 09, 2014 12:11PM
LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi? Already done: [www.raspberrypi.org] or [code.google.com] or [wiki.linuxcnc.org]
And that's just three of the first four links, when I google: [lmgtfy.com]
Also, there's a better implementation on the BeagleBone Black ( [blog.machinekit.io] ), which actually has the capacity to run the stepper drivers in realtime through it's PRUs, unlike a Raspberry Pi.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
October 09, 2014 03:04PM
Do not worry if this fails, I will try another funding format only trying to raise about $25,000 to cover expenses, I also doubt that will succeed but I will try it anyway. I am not really that bothered what happens as I have many other projects I am working on. This project is partly selfish as I like Linuxcnc and want to see it developed further and hope that by encouraging others to use it will help improve the system and lower costs for everyone.

That bit I found particularly insulting.

Ben
October 09, 2014 05:56PM
pushthatbolder
$1,600,000 GOAL!!!

Seems high

you stated Total cost £16800 in the description.
you prices seem inflated. you could get all that for $3000 tops.

never use the words 'Drop Ship'

dont use words like 'Chinese' or 'China' or 'Cheap'

find another supplier if you only get price breaks after 10'000 pieces,
most are happy with orders of 100 to get discount prices they cost about $5 each if you buy 100 units,
if it 10'000 units, you may as well start a factory.

30 suppliers, wow, alot can go wrong with a large spectrum supply chain.

dont say you are going to have to buy a laptop, or things you should already have.
you should already have most of that, to warrant auctually offering the product.

the video was boring, enough that i did not watch after 10 seconds.
after 10 seconds, i know if i want to finish.

what you offer as the perk only cost between $50 and you are trying to get $160
I could sell you this kit for $50 no problem.

you have defeated yourself in your description.

good luck in the future mate.

I think you gave some good advice and I will definitely review the project and rewrite the blurb.

I said it myself in my project outline, I think the project if doomed to fail due to price as I obviously cannot get the good prices compared with those within the control systems cartels. From comparisons with ebay prices the package is about the same price as buying items seperately as individual items from the cheapest ebay suppliers.

I am hoping I can take you up on your offer to supply the package of items required for $50, and we could workout a crowd funding project together. I seriously think if we could get a price point of $60 we could probably shift 5,000 and that would cover development costs and you could have the same just as sales commission.

I will private message you and we can workout a deal ready for when my indiegogo project ends.

Thanks for the input pushthatboulder. smileys with beer
October 09, 2014 06:14PM
pushthatbolder
you state the following
Mung Via Indiegoo
I do not want to start a business and this project is only here to fund the cost of my expenses

Lower you expenses, and ask for a realistic amount. and make a better video.

List of items required for development and testing of drivers:

high quality storage oscilloscope x2 £4000 (you should only need to pay £200 each =£400 [www.ebay.co.uk])
1080p camera £500 (why? you dont have a smartphone? how do you justify it? =£0)
quality microphone and sound card mixer £300 (what for? =£0)
8 cheap Chinese lathe/mill for cnc conversion £1600 (you are probably right on price, but why do you need? you should get spindles =$1600)
general metalwork and hardware parts etc £1000 (you are wayyy off, this project should budget £500)
16 raspberry pi (A,A+,B,B+) £500 (£250 from aliexpress for 16 units)
New monitors £2000 (second hand shops, electronics stores £200 each for good quality)
16 more parts kits, £1600 (how is this justified?)
other electronic parts general slush fund (resistors, capacitors, breadboards, pcb, etc.....) £1000 (how is this justified? should be about £300 and order what you might need all at on time)
Laser printer for pcb design £150 (this price would get you up to 10 printed board from most sources)
new laptop £1000 (how is this justified? you should already have an operational computer)
signal/function generator (may need two) £2000 ( £ 75 for functional)
High quality multi output power supply £500 (£125 [www.ebay.co.uk] )
Coffee £150 (you are totally justified, but should you be asking?)
Various small hand tools £500 (probably right, but what will you be buying?)
I will take $10 an hour for development time and handling the perks and dealing with suppliers. (you could justify this if you have a product to show, and you should incorparate this into your selling price)

this come up to £3600

you can get it cheaper from shopping better,
Ebay, Aliexpress, Electrical surplus stores etc, etc...

Best Regards

I am sorry to say I did not try to shop around for the test equipment as I wanted high quality items and wanted them straight away so I was going to order from cpc
[cpc.farnell.com]
[cpc.farnell.com]

And I was going to buy two of each units so I could test 8 gpio channels simultaneously

With regards to the 1080p camera and audio recording equipment I was hoping to create high quality videos with good sound quality for the tutorials, I feel a phone camera is not really suitable as people have commented on the poor quality of the videos I have produced previously.

The other stuff also is maybe slightly above the minimum possible, but I decided to budget for worst case, as finding out I need some other materials that I cannot afford after promissing to produce something is not a good situation.

I am not sure what you mean with regards to the chinese mill/lathes when you say 'buy spindles', the idea of buying a selection of the cheap products it to analyse how to add cnc controls to the different models that are available on ebay, how good value for money they are, and which is best/easiest/cheapest for given tasks.

I suppose you are partially right saying its possible to get everything cheaper, but as I said on the project listing I budgeted for worst case with some overage cashback possible to funders if there are no unforseen problems.
October 09, 2014 06:23PM
Traumflug
I did controller development already and needed neither function generators nor multiple RaspPis. And Eight milling machines to develop one driver? A cheapo WolfStrap is entirely sufficient.

Hell yeah its a christmas wishlist, I am not doing this for nothing. thumbs up

But all parts are necessary for a no fail completion of the project, the eight milling machines are so I can test and document cnc converting all the different models that are available on ebay.

As far as not needing function generators or oscilloscopes or multiple models of the development board, if you did not have that how did you actually properly test and document how your controller functioned with different inputs and outputs on different models and what the controllers operation parameters were?
October 09, 2014 06:42PM
cdru
Traumflug
It doesn't just SOUND like it, it IS like that.

That being said, I'd like to announce my indiegogo project. I'm raising funds to develop a 32-bit ARM-based cold fusion extruder. Now I know what you're thinking...what experience does cdru have at developing a 32-bit ARM-based cold fusion extruder? Well, I have absolutely none. But I'm determined to get this done or take everyone's money trying. Once it's complete, people will have a extruder that is guaranteed to work as long as they don't actually try to use it. Now I can't ensure that even if I don't just run off with the money that a cold fusion extruder is even feasible, let alone a 32-bit one, as I haven't done any actual calculations, but I have spent the last 3 years thinking about extruders so that should be good enough.

I have made some wild ass guesses and illogical assumptions and all I need is $500k to reach my very realistic goal for production. Obviously I'll need a new house, and car, and a kick ass home theater. And food. Lots and lots of food. Delivery pizza is expensive and a key component of my development efforts. Plus since I want to do this full time I've already quit my job but I need to support my family so I decided I'll work for a low salary of $100k/year. This amount should fund me for at least a year. Maybe a year and a half before I'll have to come back and ask for more.

To help raise funds, I'll be selling $.02 resistors for $100 a piece. Now yes that does sound a lot, but I'll only need to sell 5000 kits instead of 10,000 which is a much more reasonable expectation. If people purchase more than one resistor, I'll give them the option of picking the value for an additional one time fee of $50 per resistor.

If anyone is interested, please send me your credit card number, or your paypal credentials, or just your bank account and routing number. I'll handle the rest for you and get back to you someday, maybe.

Lol spinning smiley sticking its tongue out, you may think that, but everything has been agreed with manufacturers and wholesalers for the items that are offered as perks, and I believe the perks are not expensive or worse quality than anything that is offered by every other reprap and 3d printer supplier that sells stepper motors, driver boards and power supplies.

The perks provide funders the hardware at marginally above cost that I have agreed with suppliers, and the project will give people a step by step video guide on how to assemble and run a 5axis stepper motor kit and run it with linuxcnc on the raspberry pi.

The test equipment and materials will all be used for making sure the gpio input driver works correctly and has a verified latency and specification. Other parts will be used in making videos showing how to use the motors with cheaply available lathe/mills from ebay.

Your cold fusion comment spurred a stream of consciousness of my very early youth when that cold fusion thing happened in my city, I could digress further on the subject but do not have time to waste, maybe I will let you know another time.

Do you have anything constructive to reply?
October 09, 2014 06:58PM
droftarts
LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi? Already done: [www.raspberrypi.org] or [code.google.com] or [wiki.linuxcnc.org]
And that's just three of the first four links, when I google: [lmgtfy.com]
Also, there's a better implementation on the BeagleBone Black ( [blog.machinekit.io] ), which actually has the capacity to run the stepper drivers in realtime through it's PRUs, unlike a Raspberry Pi.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Do you have a deep understanding of the systems you are talking about?

I do not want to tell you you are wrong, but there are subtletys in everything.

I think I was possibly the first person to ever get linuxcnc running on an ARM based system (miniemc was the only thing running prior as far as I was able to find).

There are pros and cons of all the systems available, my project will just add another option that will have its own pros and cons.

Essentially the funding will help me finish some very low level driver development that will allow running stepper motors direct from gpio and add input that will allow endstops and other slow input to be handled and possibly allow slower servos to be run in an etchservo type configuration.

The project will also provide all the hardware for a 5axis cnc motor system for under £100 to every project contributor, and create a much larger linuxcnc user community.

The driver currently works with a step rate or around 12kHz and very stable latency (errors in step timing should be below 1us).

The pro of the project over the picnc system you mention is it requires less hardware (pic32mx board is probably around £25).

I don't think there is any con to the project.
October 09, 2014 07:23PM
plexer
Do not worry if this fails, I will try another funding format only trying to raise about $25,000 to cover expenses, I also doubt that will succeed but I will try it anyway. I am not really that bothered what happens as I have many other projects I am working on. This project is partly selfish as I like Linuxcnc and want to see it developed further and hope that by encouraging others to use it will help improve the system and lower costs for everyone.

That bit I found particularly insulting.

Ben

What exactly do you find insulting about that bit?

I am perfectly willing to change what I wrote and try to explain myself better, I think I said at the begining of this post that I was getting rather tired and rambling after spending 6 hours creating the indiegogo project (it was 2am when I finally could go no longer).

I just checked the dictionary:

insulting ɪnˈsʌltɪŋ/ adjective adjective: insulting disrespectful or scornfully abusive. "insulting remarks"
'insulting
ɪnˈsʌltɪŋ/
adjective
adjective: insulting

disrespectful or scornfully abusive.
"insulting remarks"'

Have I insulted you personally by what I wrote, I am not at all sure how I am being disrespectful or scornfully abusive?

I am saying I will try again, is that disrespectful?
I am saying if my idea fails it is not a great loss to myself, is my admission that if no one supports my ideas I will move on with something else an insult to you or other people?
Stating my reasons for wanting to develop linuxcnc further to enlarge the user base and encourage others to improve and help the system become better as being selfish, does it insults people how?

Is open source not made so that users can use and improve upon others work?

If I cannot afford to improve the system as I think it should be is asking for funding insulting?
Is trying to encourage as many others as possible to use the system an insult?

If you have a better turn of phrase please help me improve what I want to say please make some suggestion, but I really do not understand what you find insulting(possibly due to mild aspergers?)

You have worried me by your use of the word insulting, either I have no command of the english language or there is something wrong with your or my perspective of the world, or maybe I am still tired from the late night I had yesterday.

Anyways, a little more explanation would be very helpful.
October 09, 2014 08:08PM
cdru

Will you take cash through the mail? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

In all seriousness, your parody covers every base for why I don't even read Kickstarter and those other begging for money sites..... thumbs up
October 10, 2014 08:45AM
vreihen
cdru

Will you take cash through the mail? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

In all seriousness, your parody covers every base for why I don't even read Kickstarter and those other begging for money sites..... thumbs up

I actually think the parody was rather simplistic and lacking in coverage of all crowdfunding subtltys it also had insufficient puns and misquotations, I am sure I could have done something better if I had tried, but I am attempting to avoid wasting time on such things thesedays.

I think the idea of crowd funding should be a very good one that will allow greater efficiency in knowing how much should be expended on production and what quantities are required. Trust is an issue and also knowing if a project is actually deliverable is another factor, buying into a project where you know that everything has actually been manufactured already and you know what you are getting should be a no brainer if it offers a lower price due to economies of scale buying power.

Funding research and development is always a risk and I hoped to share this risk amoung a large number of people and also offer the bulk buying power on direct sourced components to make it such that investors would get products that would be at a lower cost than available elsewhere and they would also be helping to fund development of open sourced software that would work with the hardware.

Others have stated they can get the hardware for less than a third of the prices I have negotiated, I don't know if this is really possible or is just lies, as I have not had any response from those people I cannot say. Unfortunately this site is really only an educational venture and I do understand the way university and government work with these matters and cannot allow anyone to profit from education other than students or those in the ivory towers.

I also know that almost everyone that regularly contributes to this forum has a vested interest in some way. There are many people here that work selling parts for 3d printer hobbiests and do not want any competition, there are people that want to stop others developing things that may compete with their own ideas, there are people that want to steal ideas and profit from the work of others, and there are even some young fanatics that just want to shout and support their own choices in buying given products and pretend they know best because they can repeat what others have told them even thought they have not thought deeply on the subject.

It is often very hard to judge what a persons motivations and abilities are as this takes some communication and building of trust, unfortunately I have never found anyone on this forum that I would trust very much, there are often a few interesting comments but most seem incorrect or lacking depth of thought, my guess is there are probably only a handful of really knowledgable people on this site and they are often closed and confrontational when anything new challenge their ideas.

I am being totally honest with my crowd funding project, I do not expect it to succeed, but I thought I would give it a try as a form of market research to get an idea of how many people are interested in cnc and having a low cost motion control system. I am thinking

I am not trying to create a 'race to the bottom' though I wonder if that is what some here are trying for, I am trying to protect the bottom line, in the words of Michael Mates, "Don't let the buggers get you down".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2014 08:48AM by mung.
October 10, 2014 11:30AM
mung
Sure. Simply, you're nuts.

Being a little more detailed... Your campaign is completely unrealistic, overly pessimistic, and absolutely unsubstantiated with your capabilities.

I found every item on your shopping list except the USB cable which there wasn't enough specificity to determine what type and how long it was. In most cases, I'm reasonably confident it's the same item due to particular spelling and punctuation. For example for the mini pro your listing shows it as "Arduino pro min atmega328p board(with free Pin Header)" with mini missing the last i and no spaces after board and before the opening parenthesis. You asking to manage $1.6m dollars but you can't do basic proofreading or even not copy/pasting what some ebay ad wrote.

You can see a spreadsheet here. Total cost: 123.94 shipped to my door. That's with ordering a quantity of ONE for each line item. That doesn't factor in quantity discount and economy of scale savings if you ordered 10,000 kits. So with your estimate that you'll be "making" $3 on each kit sold, that leaves $33.06 in completely unnecessary overhead as all the items could be dropped shipped straight to the supporter, not to mention none of your individual components appear to be particularly premium quality items. It would be far easier for you, quicker for every would-be supporter, and better all around if people just spent the $126.94 to get the stuff directly and sent you the $33.06 as a donation. It would take less than 1/10 the number supporters to go that route and reach your goal and save you a ton of time and money handling 10k motors and all the other items. I also question if you could even handle the logistics of repackaging 10k kits in a reasonable period of time.

Imagine if you were going to a bank to ask for a car loan or home mortgage. Would you say things like "I think there is little possibility I could make the payments"? No. So why would you say things like "I think there is little possibility I can find enough people to fund [me]"? If YOU already realize the extremely unrealistic goals of selling 10k kits, and you set the project up so that you MUST reach that goal, then it's all but guaranteed that it is going to fail and it's a waste of everyone's time. Adding in "the more I have looked at this project the less I feel like it will work" and "Then there have been some problems with communication with Chinese suppliers" just reinforces the negativity and pessimism. If you're asking people to give you $1.6m dollars, you better ooze excitement and positivity that it can be done (even if in your head you don't think so). Your "If this project does not get funded" and "Finally" sections are a complete turnoff of any interest someone might have.

Finally, no where do you indicate any of your qualifications to know how to develop what you're developing. You don't state your education, your skills, your experience. I've seen previous posts (for example) where you said "I really don't know anything about electronical machines" and you didn't know what input, tolerant, and ttl meant. Now granted that was a year ago and you could be a really fast learner, but those aren't comments about someone who is already very skilled in doing what you are proposing to do. Those are comments from someone who has maybe a very limited working knowledge of digital circuitry and who can probably put together a circuit, but designing a completely new circuit to run in real time on a device that...really wasn't meant to run realtime...no.

Not to chit on your parade, but I have a feeling that the number of supporters isn't going to increase much over what it's at now. More power to you if you can, I just don't think you will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2014 02:16PM by cdru.
October 10, 2014 11:51AM
You want 1.6 million? Holy shit!!

I didn't read the campaign, but have you done any development thus far apart from think about it?

Typically a successful campaign asks only for the money to cover production. IE. They have used thir own funds to get to the production phase and have a final prototype that is working and ready to go.

From what I can tell just from reading this thread you don't have anything other than an idea, which is great, but you should not be asking for every single dime of the development funds. Sadly that is what a lot of people do with crowdfunding. Putting your own funds into the project shows commitment and dedication.

Just my 0.02 cents. I've never done any major electrical development but I'd imagine it can be done for waayyyyy cheaper.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
October 13, 2014 04:58PM
cdru
mung
Sure. Simply, you're nuts.

Being a little more detailed... Your campaign is completely unrealistic, overly pessimistic, and absolutely unsubstantiated with your capabilities.

I found every item on your shopping list except the USB cable which there wasn't enough specificity to determine what type and how long it was. In most cases, I'm reasonably confident it's the same item due to particular spelling and punctuation. For example for the mini pro your listing shows it as "Arduino pro min atmega328p board(with free Pin Header)" with mini missing the last i and no spaces after board and before the opening parenthesis. You asking to manage $1.6m dollars but you can't do basic proofreading or even not copy/pasting what some ebay ad wrote.

You can see a spreadsheet here. Total cost: 123.94 shipped to my door. That's with ordering a quantity of ONE for each line item. That doesn't factor in quantity discount and economy of scale savings if you ordered 10,000 kits. So with your estimate that you'll be "making" $3 on each kit sold, that leaves $33.06 in completely unnecessary overhead as all the items could be dropped shipped straight to the supporter, not to mention none of your individual components appear to be particularly premium quality items. It would be far easier for you, quicker for every would-be supporter, and better all around if people just spent the $126.94 to get the stuff directly and sent you the $33.06 as a donation. It would take less than 1/10 the number supporters to go that route and reach your goal and save you a ton of time and money handling 10k motors and all the other items. I also question if you could even handle the logistics of repackaging 10k kits in a reasonable period of time.

Imagine if you were going to a bank to ask for a car loan or home mortgage. Would you say things like "I think there is little possibility I could make the payments"? No. So why would you say things like "I think there is little possibility I can find enough people to fund [me]"? If YOU already realize the extremely unrealistic goals of selling 10k kits, and you set the project up so that you MUST reach that goal, then it's all but guaranteed that it is going to fail and it's a waste of everyone's time. Adding in "the more I have looked at this project the less I feel like it will work" and "Then there have been some problems with communication with Chinese suppliers" just reinforces the negativity and pessimism. If you're asking people to give you $1.6m dollars, you better ooze excitement and positivity that it can be done (even if in your head you don't think so). Your "If this project does not get funded" and "Finally" sections are a complete turnoff of any interest someone might have.

Finally, no where do you indicate any of your qualifications to know how to develop what you're developing. You don't state your education, your skills, your experience. I've seen previous posts (for example) where you said "I really don't know anything about electronical machines" and you didn't know what input, tolerant, and ttl meant. Now granted that was a year ago and you could be a really fast learner, but those aren't comments about someone who is already very skilled in doing what you are proposing to do. Those are comments from someone who has maybe a very limited working knowledge of digital circuitry and who can probably put together a circuit, but designing a completely new circuit to run in real time on a device that...really wasn't meant to run realtime...no.

Not to chit on your parade, but I have a feeling that the number of supporters isn't going to increase much over what it's at now. More power to you if you can, I just don't think you will.

Lol spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Being a little more detailed... I think you spend a lot of time being completely unsympathetic, overly negative, absolutely unsubstantiated with your capabilities.

I know you dislike competition, and maybe you think attack is the best form of defence, but you make yourself look bad by attacking everyone with very poorly thought out arguements and personal attacks rather than focussing on the actual facts.

In any project there are many interlinked dependencies, exclusions, costs, doing part of a project cheaper may cause a knock on increase in price in some other area, this can make costing very hard.

I have stated some things in the project outline already, the two most important statements I feel are:

1) I cannot guarantee to get all items at the lowest possible price, therefore there is a higher price with a possible cashback
2) I do not think the project will be successfully funded

Because of number 1 number 2 is almost sure to follow, therefore this project really became a market research exercise for me.

I am not going to risk more than a few hundred hours and pounds on any project without the possibility of getting some return, all projects start out as interesting hobbies for me, but when they start to cost beyond a certain amount I make a decision on how much enjoyment I get and how much cost there is.

I can give you a run down of why the project is so expensive ($33.06 more than you can find parts for).

1) I have got samples from suppliers using a number of postage methods, because some are very slow this could cause major problems with complaints and possible paypal refund claims nightmares, therefore I chose to use DHL which is about $13 - $26 more expensive on the shiiping of the motors than the methods shown on your listings(I have actually tried shipping by china post and it took over 40 days).
2) The motors are special manufacture, this is why the large volume order required, dual shaft motors are more expensive and if you asked your suppllier to produce dual shaft motors I am sure you would have at least $7.50 more to pay on 5 motors for dual shaft and machining of flats
3) Volumes required, try and get all of your suppliers to guarantee to supply 10,000 of those items, and what happens if a supplier breaches contract and I need to source elsewhere of make legal proceedings?
4) Tax, imports into the UK of goods valued at over £17.50 incur VAT and customs charge handling fee and import duty HMRC FA 1994 S21 and S23 and also possibly 2013 GAAR (If I raise postage costs and have items ship in smaller value consignments), I have made allowance for all possible requirements and costs of getting an accountant to submit the costings to HMRC.
5) I do actually need to buy some test equipment and would like to get paid for the things that I do not enjoy doing.
6) I do not want to under price and be unable to to supply what I have said I will supply or make a huge loss to my own pocket.

Now you state I have not corrected what suppliers adverts say, and you may think this stupid but there are legal and contractual reasons for doing this, maybe it would look better if I edited suppliers specifications, but who is then responsible if a funding backer does not get what they expect?

Saying I will supply something different than a supplier has specified they can supply would be exceptionally stupid wouldn't it?

You 'also question if you could even handle the logistics of repackaging 10k kits in a reasonable period of time', yet I nowhere claim to package anything, I state in the project outline all products are 'drop shipped' (If you do not know what that is google is helpful).

You imagine going into a bank and lying about realistic goals and projected accounts?, you sound like the sort of people that caused the current financial crisis!

I base my projections on my own perspective of reality, I am not a liar, you say I am 'nuts' but I think you sound more like a nutcase, or at least a sociopath that is trying to encourage me to use under hand tactics, telling people untruths and having a view that is not based on reality is what you suggest?

In your reference to my previous post you missed out 'snarkiness' , and I am not sure you know what that means (have you found out what input, tolerant, and ttl mean yet?), but I think there is a strategy in most of my correspondence and maybe you do not see it (maybe everyone always says everything they know and spends many hours of their time explaining to others at every possible opportunity)?

I could explain the subtle way in which to handle possible trolls and how to gauge abilities and backgrounds of those that you interact with without allowing too much hostility inflation, but I am not going to, as its a waste of my time and yours with no profit for either of us(being too obtuse is not good).

You seem to me to be like a number of trolls that hang around this forum, or maybe you are just playing devils advocate, either way you are either having to handle 1000 posts a day and give a reply to all or you are somewhat shortsighted and lacking knowledge about how to best use your time. If you were given the indiegogo project outline as a test in english comprehension you would probably fail, but then again I would probably also fail english GCSE for writing that project outline, but in my defense I did write it from memory in one non stop session of 2-3 hours, and still have the intention of going back and proofreading it and making some corrections.

I said the indiegogo project is to fund the development of the linuxcnc drivers for raspberry pi, and I have reasons for thinking the rpi will be better for some purposes than the beaglebone, csi/dsi/gpu/ power performance etc etc (don't have time to give a full run down of a very complex comparison). I also think linuxcnc is very important piece of software for the future as it will allow people to design on standard software that will run on many different computing platforms and not lock robot developers into a single hardware platform and require relearning of low level platform programming.

I feel it was always a hard thing to fund as no one would give $3 for development without expecting a working driver with their hardware, then I would receive bad feelings from the hundreds of people expecting support on how to get things working with their rare and idiosyncratic hardware that they want to interface and cannot get working. The other way trying to give everyone the same hardware that is guaranteed to work requires a very large amount of negotiation and logistics and possible tax implications that make it hard for an individual such as myself to get certainty of actually not losing money.

Anyways thanks for the reply you have actually given me some useful input and thoughts for consideration, whilst at the same time making yourself look like a bit of an asshole (just my opinion, maybe I am being a bit thin skinned, but you do seem to be attacking me moreso than offering reasoned impartial advice).

Like I said it is more market research and I think the drivers are going back on the shelf and I will look at other things until I see another possibility for funding.
October 13, 2014 05:17PM
gmh39

I didn't read the campaign, but have you done any development thus far apart from think about it?

Typically a successful campaign asks only for the money to cover production. IE. They have used thir own funds to get to the production phase and have a final prototype that is working and ready to go.

From what I can tell just from reading this thread you don't have anything other than an idea, which is great, but you should not be asking for every single dime of the development funds. Sadly that is what a lot of people do with crowdfunding. Putting your own funds into the project shows commitment and dedication.

Just my 0.02 cents. I've never done any major electrical development but I'd imagine it can be done for waayyyyy cheaper.

I think when luke skywalker said 'i don't believe it' yoda said 'and that is why you fail', I really don't believe there are 10,000 people that want 5 stepper motors that run from a raspberry pi.

The campaign is to fund development and testing of the gpio input drivers. The output drivers are already working though not fully and exhaustively tested I feel fairly certain they work correctly.

Linuxcnc will run stepper motors direct from the gpio pins at 10kHz step speed and funders of the project will recieve all hardware required to make a working set of motors if the goal is reached. The hardware package along with some videos I will make are what I feel to be an educational/hobbiest package that will show how to solder everything up and configure the system to run.
October 14, 2014 05:46AM
mung
gmh39

I think when luke skywalker said 'i don't believe it' yoda said 'and that is why you fail', I really don't believe there are 10,000 people that want 5 stepper motors that run from a raspberry pi.

The campaign is to fund development and testing of the gpio input drivers. The output drivers are already working though not fully and exhaustively tested I feel fairly certain they work correctly.

Linuxcnc will run stepper motors direct from the gpio pins at 10kHz step speed and funders of the project will recieve all hardware required to make a working set of motors if the goal is reached. The hardware package along with some videos I will make are what I feel to be an educational/hobbiest package that will show how to solder everything up and configure the system to run.

is 10khz the maximum?, we have arduino based firmware now pushing a few times faster than that now, and arm based firmware hitting rates 10 times that and more,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

October 15, 2014 11:11AM
I had a much longer post, but you were right and that bickering about things isn't productive to the end goal. And yes, I am an asshole, but everyone needs one whether they want it or not, otherwise they're just full of crap.

mung
I feel it was always a hard thing to fund as no one would give $3 for development without expecting a working driver with their hardware, then I would receive bad feelings from the hundreds of people expecting support on how to get things working with their rare and idiosyncratic hardware that they want to interface and cannot get working. The other way trying to give everyone the same hardware that is guaranteed to work requires a very large amount of negotiation and logistics and possible tax implications that make it hard for an individual such as myself to get certainty of actually not losing money.

No one can give $3 because it's either $160 or nothing. If someone won't give $3 to help support it, they aren't not going to give $3 along with another $157 for stuff that they can already get cheaper and better. If you had a $5 or $10 that came with a "I'll post your name as a thank you", then I think you'd at least get something. But asking for an unrealistic goal to be met and you get nothing if it doesn't just ends up being a waste of everyone's time in the end.

Plus, irregardless of all the issues with the fulfillment of the kits and pricing, you've still not indicated any skills that you have why you are able to accomplish your intended goal. If you want people to help support you and invest in you, then you need to make them believe you can be successful. If Traumflug was seeking funding, we could look at his work developing Generation 7 electronics. Or nophead we could look at him developing the Mendel90 design. But we know nothing about you and your skills and you're blindly asking for people to fund something we have no indications that you can even do. So why do you think you can do it?
October 15, 2014 11:57AM
thejollygrimreaper

is 10khz the maximum?, we have arduino based firmware now pushing a few times faster than that now, and arm based firmware hitting rates 10 times that and more,

The whole point of using the raspberry pi is to get some things that the arduino cannot do at a reasonable price (3D CAD design software, network connectivity, cheap display and preview plot, computer vision and analysis). On a stock rpi 12Mhz is possible but makes running python plugins for linuxcnc very sluggish, I think the max I got running axis gui was 48kHz if I overclocked the rpi to 900MHz and trimmed all the X desktop to a minimum, but that did cause a system lockup when I did a week long burn in test.

If you start only thinking about maximum stepper speed for unknown unnecessary reasons then you have to forego some of the other useful parts of the system.

Theoretically gpio step rates upto 58MHz are possible from the rpi if you try baremetal assembly programming and only run a gcode interpreter and trajectory planner, but I have no idea what the use case would be(with 1 micron resolution that would be 58meters per second which is apparently the speed of sound in ABS and rubber so I do not know what effect that speed would have)?

How high a resolution does your filament print at?, what acceleration can the melted plastic withstand?

Everyone has their own areas of expertise and it seems pointless to explain in detail the entire theory of stepper motors, if you have a specific well defined application then you should tell everyone so they can try and help you.

If you can tell me full spec of system requirements motors torque/speed curves and drivers, maybe I would be able to give you a full answer, 10kHz covers 90% of most current use cases for machining and 3d printing. I am not really an expert in stepper motor design or control, I have a little knowledge about such things and maybe do not have your expertise about such reprap requirements.

If you send me a shibboleth maybe we can chat further, but not being a site admin I would not know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 12:03PM by mung.
October 15, 2014 12:26PM
cdru
I had a much longer post, but you were right and that bickering about things isn't productive to the end goal. And yes, I am an asshole, but everyone needs one whether they want it or not, otherwise they're just full of crap.

No one can give $3 because it's either $160 or nothing. If someone won't give $3 to help support it, they aren't not going to give $3 along with another $157 for stuff that they can already get cheaper and better. If you had a $5 or $10 that came with a "I'll post your name as a thank you", then I think you'd at least get something. But asking for an unrealistic goal to be met and you get nothing if it doesn't just ends up being a waste of everyone's time in the end.

Plus, irregardless of all the issues with the fulfillment of the kits and pricing, you've still not indicated any skills that you have why you are able to accomplish your intended goal. If you want people to help support you and invest in you, then you need to make them believe you can be successful. If Traumflug was seeking funding, we could look at his work developing Generation 7 electronics. Or nophead we could look at him developing the Mendel90 design. But we know nothing about you and your skills and you're blindly asking for people to fund something we have no indications that you can even do. So why do you think you can do it?

My point is that I would rather see people have a system that is guaranteed to work supplied to them, I would not want to have partial funding and then receive lots of support issues when people use their own untested hardware.

When you say can get cheaper and better I think you are wrong, DHL postage is far better than the shopping cart options you showed, also the motors are special dual shaft versions, and finally most people will probably end up paying import tax on top the prices you showed (in the UK that would be about 28% plus a customs handling charge extra).

I think I have enough skills to enable fulfilling the project otherwise I would not have created the project unless I were dishonest or very very stupid.

The gpio output driver is essentially complete already and runs motors quite well, the only problem is synchronisation of gpio input signals at high speed using dma and testing to find out what maximum delays and errors in the driver may be.

Do you not think showing the gpio drivers running motors is enough proof that it can be done?

I have some qualifications in related fields, but I don't think that would really prove anything.
October 18, 2014 06:50AM
cdru

I would like to read your longer post and have a reply from you to the points I have rasised in my other replies to this thread, I am not sure what you mean by bickering. You admit you are an asshole, do you also admit you are a sociopath?

I have been honest in my replies and I like to give everyone a reasoned response, but it seems in most of your posts you just want be negative and hostile, when I give you a reasoned response and justification you ignore it.

I do not think I should have to explain every tiny concept of design and factor involved putting together a project and costing it, that would take an exceptionally long time and most people would not read it, the indiegogo project information already seems far too long for anyone to fully read and understand it without a great deal of effort (it seems you have not taken any effort).

Also I forgot to mention that the indiegogo project perk includes a 9% addition that goes to pay indiegogo for listing on their site and handling payments.

Can you tell me what your problem with the project is and why you are attacking me personally?

I just thought I would try and get a reasonable reply from you before I consider how to update the indiegogo project listing which I hope to be editing this weekend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login