Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baby3D miniature 3D printer Kickstarter

Posted by patrickrio 
Baby3D miniature 3D printer Kickstarter
November 03, 2015 02:08PM
Miniature printer based on the PrintrBot Simple design. $253 for kit. Printer weight is just 2.5 pounds. very small.

Baby3D Kickstarter

The builder, James, is a good friend of mine now and has helped many New York City newbies get their first printers built: including me.

I am sure James would love some support!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 07:37AM by patrickrio.
Re: Baby3D miniature 3D printer Kickstarter
November 04, 2015 04:17AM
Oh boy...
November 04, 2015 08:25AM
Yeah, pretty cool little printer, right? James recently carried two of these in his backpack to our local 3D printer night. It is really much more convenient for demonstrations and small parts than my printer is.

James Carpino is a university professor but volunteers to teach 3D printing to local youth groups. At a recent presentation he was VERY surprised at how interested the young girls were in the "Baby" printer. In the past, his "Ultimaker" always got the attention of the boys, but the girls were not as interested. With this small and "cute" printer, both boys and girls seemed to engage better. James is a STEM professor who has encouraged STEM participation by women at the uni level, but is very encouraged when he can spark earlier interest.

Professor Carpino is the local 3D printing "Pied Piper" and has taught many adults and children about 3D printing in the past several years. He selflessly has helped countless people build their own printers at the local hackerspace 3D printer night (including me). He does demonstrations at youth groups and schools... all for free. He is a wonderful example of what the Rep Rap community can be.

If anyone has suggestions on how to help him get the word out for this printer, I am sure he would appreciate it.

He is going to have a few of us over to test build his kit soon... I am excited!!!!!
November 07, 2015 02:49AM
I wonder, how long it prints without heatsink?
November 08, 2015 08:09AM
It uses Teflon tubing and a miniature PEEK insulator in the heatbreak.

I asked James, and so far, after about 200 prints on the first prototype it has not jammed even once. The next few prototypes have only been running for a few weeks, and have about 100 prints between them, and have also not jammed a single time.

I use the basic heat break design on my printer also - but with Volcano style heat block. The heat break has not ever jammed for me either.

The disadvantage of the design, of course, is that you can't print the higher temperature plastic filament. I will be changing designs on my printer for that reason, but the Baby 3D is really designed for PLA, ABS and PET only since it has an unheated bed (small bed works with ABS with a a bit of warping only)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 08:19AM by patrickrio.
March 21, 2016 12:37PM
Any update here? The size is attractive. Will you try another campaign?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login