Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder tongue loose fit.

Posted by tim_h 
Extruder tongue loose fit.
January 06, 2014 06:21PM
The bowden tube retaining tongue is very loose on my printer, to the point that during retractions it moves up and down, and the brass end on on the bowden tube is moving too.
I have made sure it is the right way up ( tried both ways) and it's in as far as it can go.
I have printed a new one to ensure it's not a defect of the the tongue, but the replacement is the same.
My concern is that it will fall out during a print, ruining it.

What is supposed to keep the tongue tight? Is it supposed to grip the sides of the brass end, or is it supposed to be a friction fit into the extruder body?
Do I need a new extruder body?

RS Ormerod #472
Re: Extruder tongue loose fit.
January 06, 2014 06:42PM
It may not be in very far. To check, pull the tongue out, pull the Bowden tube out of the extruder (with a bit of filament), and put the tongue back in. Look through the top of the extruder, and see how far the tongue is going through. It should go far enough so you can see the round end of the slot. Pull it out, put the Bowden tube back in making sure you can see the slot in the brass end, and replace the tongue to the same depth. The hot end assembly instructions have some pictures of this at the end.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 07, 2014 03:20AM
I agree the tongue is quite loose on my machine too.
It also fails to hold the brass tube firmly in position. I can move it vertically about 1mm, which surely has implications when trying to extract the filament
Greg
January 07, 2014 04:29AM
Ian, I've tried your suggestion and with the bowden tube removed it slots in very loosely. I can see it is going in far enough, and have I marked the depth on the tongue. When I put the bowden tube back, the tongue still goes in deep enough, there is just nothing to grip it in place and like greg says it can move up and down quite freely.

What is supposed to hold it there?

RS Ormerod #472
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login