Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder slipping off X-axis bearing

Posted by dmould 
Extruder slipping off X-axis bearing
January 08, 2014 05:54AM
I had this happen a couple of times. Possibly a bit of machine oil I used on the shaft got between the bearing and the slip-on printed part and made it easier to slide off. The bearing slides very easily along the shaft, so it's not that. A bit of hot-glue over the carriage & bearing has been a temporary fix.

I've just ordered some circlips that hopefully will fit into the grooves at each end of the bearing and stop the carriage slipping off. The supplier had a minimum order of £15 and they cost 5 pence each, which meant that I had to order 300 circlips, so I'll have a few left over if anyone else wants some!
Re: Extruder slipping off X-axis bearing
January 08, 2014 09:59AM
great idea - I used a dab of superglue when it happened on mine (what caused mine to slide was repeatedly ramming into the electronics box when it was trying to home)- the vibration in the belt made it creep out, and eventually it lost its grip.
January 08, 2014 10:28AM
rayhicks
great idea - I used a dab of superglue when it happened on mine (what caused mine to slide was repeatedly ramming into the electronics box when it was trying to home)- the vibration in the belt made it creep out, and eventually it lost its grip.

What is ramming into the electronics box? Surely nothing should be able to.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 08, 2014 10:40AM
A wrap of Kapton tape around the bearing can give it a tighter hold, too.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 10, 2014 09:32PM
dc42
What is ramming into the electronics box? Surely nothing should be able to.

ah , back in the day when the instructions weren't so good, there was no specification for where the Z pillar went, naively I put it in the centre of the Y extrusion, and that meant that the x carriage couldn't home (since it hit the electronics case before it got to the tab). - this was mid-December, I did use "was ramming" not "is ramming"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login