Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Link to Spare Parts Please

Posted by KimBrown 
Link to Spare Parts Please
January 19, 2014 04:51PM
Hi, I've looked around but can't see the Ormerods Extruder gears, or parts.
Please could someone post a link for me to click on.
I'd like to print out a spare set of gears early on if I can, just encase.
Thanks,
Kim..
Re: Link to Spare Parts Please
January 19, 2014 05:18PM
You may have already downloaded them; they're part of the Ormerod repository, in Ormerod/stl/individual parts/. Specifically, here: [github.com]
Also, see [www.reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 05:18PM by droftarts.
January 19, 2014 05:29PM
Thanks Ian. I looked in there, and couldn't see the gears listed....
Which one would it be please...

BTW are the gears supplied PLA or ABS? They look like PLA to me...
I have a reel of ABS waiting for me in the shore side store I hope..... When, if we get along side our berth....
Really have enjoyed building the kit.
Kim
January 19, 2014 05:48PM
Just remembered I had some Amberkleen FE10 in my electrical locker...
Not such a nice smell as the aftershave I was using, but that should clean the table.

Do we have to use the Kapton tape on the glass? I've heard some people use Extra hold hair spray...
January 19, 2014 05:59PM
z-gear and z-gear-driven for the z-gears, large-gear and small-gear for the extruder. All printed parts are PLA. We use Kapton because it's reusable. Hairspray is sticky, will create a mess, you should spray the glass away from the printer (unless you like all the dust everywhere sticking to it), you have to do it every print, and it's mainly useful for ABS. We print on Kapton, print around 22 hours a day, 6 days a week, and replace the Kapton around once every 4 months.

If you're going to print a lot of ABS, see victors thread. You'll want to replace the printed parts with ABS versions that are over the heated bed, like the x-carriage, extruder drive block, ducts, nozzle mount.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 19, 2014 06:11PM
> Do we have to use the Kapton tape on the glass?

I have been using blue "Tesa 4435" (outdoor UV resistant painter's tape) -- it sticks so well to PLA print that I pull off pieces of the tape half the time when heated to 60-65 degrees. I haven't had time to test without heating yet, but letting the print cool first helps a bit.

This tape can be placed on the bed extremely easy compared to kapton -- easier to place due to the colour and less stickiness, and it seems to let air through, so no trouble getting bubbles out; just drag the tape roll over the newly placed piece and it's flat -- and no harsh chemicals required; it sticks to the glass regardless of finger prints, and I have a feeling that even an accidental finger print on the tape doesn't harm the stickiness! thumbs up

One thing that might be a downside: I still have a single strip of kapton with white PVC tape below it at the edges; haven't been printing so long that I've had time to test how the blue works on the Z-sensor. And, as you can tell from the above, it can't be reused for as long as Kapton. I started using it after the kapton had to be replaced (time-consuming and relatively frustrating imho) a few times in a row after being torn by the hotend. Auto levelling seemingly isn't as exact as it should be yet, at least with firmware 053...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 06:16PM by ZeAllan.
January 19, 2014 07:21PM
eye rolling smiley

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! I'm at that pulling my hair out moment.
I can see the gear wheel in my browser, it spins I can move it around....
How the heck do I get the STL file for it....
My bald patch is getting bigger, and I'm feeling even more daft than I was...
January 19, 2014 07:54PM
Download the WHOLE Ormerod repository, by clicking 'Download ZIP' on the right hand side of this page: [github.com]

If you REALLY just want to download one part, right click on the 'RAW' button, and select 'Save target as..' (or however your browser comes up with it). You have to save the RAW version of ALL files on github, or you get an html page, rather than the actual file you want.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 19, 2014 08:00PM
Thank you...

Better than Perfect....
(Well it has been along day....I think the brain cell gave up two hours ago)
January 19, 2014 10:56PM
Hi Kim ,

Take a rest , get yourself a cup of hot coffee, and back to your computer later. I was looking for z-driven gear stl and can't find it yesterday until I take a good rest . :-)
January 20, 2014 04:18AM
droftarts
We use Kapton because it's reusable. Hairspray is sticky, will create a mess, you should spray the glass away from the printer (unless you like all the dust everywhere sticking to it), you have to do it every print, and it's mainly useful for ABS. We print on Kapton, print around 22 hours a day, 6 days a week, and replace the Kapton around once every 4 months.

I am with Ian on this and I am wondering whether some are creating problems for themselves. That also include the issue? of fan backdraft.

I print on Kapton that I clean each time with acetone and kitchen towel (takes approximately 20sec). I print around 15hrs a day 7 days a week and have now used a little over 3kg of PLA with my Ormerod. The environment temperature is poorly regulated (cold/damp utility room that will fluctuate from 13deg to 20deg during overnight prints). I have no deflector on fan either. I changed Kapton once because I had ripped some while scrapping the bed and have only had 2 parts fail (in 3kg of printing) which I attribute to a poor filament quality (black "natural" from RRK).

Cannot comment on printing ABS, have not tried and don't intend to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login