Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

M105 SD card NOT being read on start up

Posted by 88Zombies 
M105 SD card NOT being read on start up
February 11, 2014 06:37PM
After initally adding the SD-image files to the SD card and inserting it didn't work. I pressed the 'RESET' button and it worked a treat, M115 displayed the correct info too.

Each time I plugged in the USB I would have to press 'RESET' before it would work!! seemed a bit strange but carried on building hoping the issue would resolve it's self.

I tried to change the IP address in the 'config' foulder info to allow connection via web interface, this brought back the error of the SDcard not being read except this time pressing 'RESET' doesn't solve the problem. I replaced the 3 SD-Image files, *Hey-presto!* it worked again...

I've just tried to change the 'config' foulder again, this time to set the Z-axis origin. Now the SD card isnt being read on start up again..
I've repleaced the files as i did before and... nothing...
I've pressed 'RESET' multiple times in a variety of orders.... nothing.
I've redownloaded the zip file and copied over the files again.... nothing.
I've formatted the SD card to fat32 as specified.... nothing.

I believe the SD card is working as my PC reads it fine with no issues what so ever & i assume the USB cable is ok as Arduino lets me know that the firmware is found each time i connect.

any help would be much appreciated!!!!!
Re: M105 SD card NOT being read on start up
February 11, 2014 06:48PM
88Zombies, the SD card not working problem (with symptoms just like yours I think - I definitely had the same working after reset that you describe) is something many of us have experienced - the first thing to do is to buy a branded one from a local shop and destroy the one in the kit... I understand that reprappro are now shipping a Kingston branded SD card after so many of us had this problem with the original card, does yours carry the kingston brand? The one I bought was a TDK (I think) from my local supermarket - if you search for "SD card" in the Ormerod forum you'll see how common this problem has been, it's a shame that some threads aren't made "sticky" here,
[edit one reason for asking if your card is Kingston, is that if so it should work, and it could be that you've hit a production problem with the card itself - some people have experienced/reported issues with the soldering on some of the parts and it may be that your sd card reader has started to fail - my money is still on the card itself thoughsmiling smiley]
Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 06:56PM by rayhicks.
February 11, 2014 06:58PM
Nope, no kingston logo.
I have ordered one but have to wait the extra day for delivery now -.-
Really hope that is the cause of the problem, i will take great pleasure in destroying the old one.

I was half worried I might cause a fault by pressing the reset button so many times....
I just find it strange how my PC can write to/read from the SDcard no problem.

I really hope it isn't a problem with the SD card reader in the Duet board.

thankyou for your speedy reply, much appreciated Ray.
February 12, 2014 04:08AM
While you are waiting for your new SD card, you can try using the printer by sending the commands found in config.g (or as many of them as you need) via Arduino serial monitor. The network interface should work once you have sent the command to set the IP address.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 08:49AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 12, 2014 08:43AM
88Zombies
I just find it strange how my PC can write to/read from the SDcard no problem.

Most probably because the timing of the signals sent & read from the SD card by the Duet is different to what the PC uses - the supplied card is probably a particularly slow card, and whilst most PC readers will detect the speed and adjust the signal timing accordingly, the Duet does not appear to do so. I suspect that it could be corrected in the Duet firmware which would then get the original cards working reliably (the Duet does not need a fast memory card for any other reason), but replacing with a better (faster) SD card overcomes the issue reliably. My original card worked sometimes but not at other times, which is fairly typical when there are marginal timing issues.

Dave
(#106)
February 12, 2014 11:29AM
Hi,
3 days ago I had the same problem. I solved it by changing SD card.
February 12, 2014 07:13PM
SPOT ON!!! new SD card in and it's working A LOT smoother.
haven't had to press reset once
the IP address changed allowing the web interface
Z, X & Y 0 cordinates altered in config/sys file
printer even comes online quicker...

don't know if it's another sign of a bad SD card but the Pronterface command log used to display a repeat of the last command entered litterally every 2 seconds filling the screen, became very annoying when trying to scroll up to find previous commands... this doesn't happen any more, pronterface is now much easier to use.

all seems to be working A-OK. thank you all your help and input's greatly appreciated.
now to start on the PLA extrusion... smiling smiley
February 12, 2014 07:29PM
excellent -good luck zombies, keep us postedsmiling smiley
February 14, 2014 07:59AM
I just thought that I would pass on my experience re the SD card problems. The original SD card failed after a week or two. I replaced it with another card I had an it worked. However whenever the SD card was removed and replaced in to the printer I had great difficulty in getting it to work again and this happened on numerous occasions. After many eject/insert cycles it would suddenly start to work. Since the card worked without any problems in the PC card reader I decided it was most likely to be a problem with the Arduino card slot. So I took the defunct original SD card, cleaned the contacts with a contact cleaner (trichloro-trifluorethane which I had in my workshop). Then I put some of the cleaner on to the SD card contacts and inserted/ejected a few times in the Arduino socket and then put the configured SD card back in. It worked straight away. I have had no problems since (about a month). My printer (a green one delivered on Christmas eve and completed min Janurary) works like a dream.

Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login