Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Am I using slic3r to create g-codes correctly??

Posted by 88Zombies 
Am I using slic3r to create g-codes correctly??
February 22, 2014 07:32AM
I've been having a few issues trying to print the Ormerod STL files;
The ptiner loosing connection midprint
trying to print 15mm about the heatbed
etc

Last night i tried another test tho, which has lead me to believe it may be the gcode files im printing from rather than the ormerod...
I tried printing the snow man and it worked no problem (except the fact it looks more like Mr Blobby than Mr Frosty when comparing it to the other snowmen ive seen people have pritner..) none the less it printed.

this is how i tried to print the large gear, is this correct?..
1. I open proterface/slic3r settings/ (i have the ormerod-0.5 settings loaded)
2. I drag over the STL file. Click 'export as G-code'. (some times it saves the file as a .g type some times it saves the files as a .gcode does this matter? if so how do i save as .g, do i just write .g after the file name?)
3. I add this file to the SD card...eject and put into the printer...
4. Re-open pronterface, click connect to printer.
5. I home the X, Y and Z (sometimes I prewarm the heat bed as this seems to take a while to get up to temp), click 'SD' and open the file with all the M557 corner location points in, press G32
6. On pronterface I click 'SD' and click on the 'large-gear.gcode' file.
7. it attempts to print....

any input is much appreciated! smiling smiley
Re: Am I using slic3r to create g-codes correctly??
February 22, 2014 07:57AM
That procedure is OK, although I find it easier to print either directly over the web or directly over USB, or to upload the file to the SD card via web (or UScool smiley. However, there are at least two versions of slic3r in use, version 0.98 and version 1.0RC2. The original Ormerod-0.5 settings were for 0.98, and if you try to use those file with 1.0RC2, slic3r gives a warning message that you should recreate them. So I let slic3r 1.0RC2 create new files, then I copied individual lines from the Ormerod-0.5 files into the new ones. I also increased the extruder retraction setting to 4mm which reduced blobs.

Can you confirm that you are not using the SD card supplied with the kit?

There are some known reasons why the Ormerod can hang mid-print:

1. Ormerod trying to send a message through the USB connection, but the host PC has gone to sleep.

2. Mains-borne electrical interference, coupled with a ground loop that is inevitable when using the USB connection. Fix this by running the Ormerod and the PC (and nothing else) from the same mains outlet or distribution block, and/or putting a ferrite bead on the USB cable.

3. Issues with small print moves when the direction is changing, fixed in some non-RRP firmware builds including my 57n-dc42 build.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 22, 2014 08:29AM
I discovered a fourth yesterday -I have a plastic Secretary's chair and a carpeted floor so build up some static occasionally, yesterday I discharged through my Mac notebook and the print stopped - the only effect seemed to be on usb communication (the Mac worked fine and the printer held temperatures and motor position) -time for me to get a new chair!
Ray
February 22, 2014 08:53AM
Three versions David:-
1.0.0RC3

(Still can't get a gcode for x-motor modified mount to pass the web site test thou...eye rolling smiley )

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
February 22, 2014 09:06AM
dc42
3. Issues with small print moves when the direction is changing, fixed in some non-RRP firmware builds including my 57n-dc42 build.[/quote

Does your version allow use of the original probe, and can you set the tolerance in the config file, or an external editable file?

February 22, 2014 09:07AM
KimBrown
dc42
3. Issues with small print moves when the direction is changing, fixed in some non-RRP firmware builds including my 57n-dc42 build.[/quote

Does your version allow use of the original probe, and can you set the tolerance in the config file, or an external editable file?

Yes, my version allows use of the original probe in exactly the same way as before. What tolerance are you referring to?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 22, 2014 09:28AM
I haven't looked at the firmware code, but I started to get the impression that there might be an in built tolerance for the probe threshold setting.
It might just be taking time to look at the probe..... i.e. doing something else then coming back to find it has past the threshold reading....
What about ignoring the Network socket? If there was a setting in the config file to ignore the network then I'll convert to your firmware...
I get fed up with knitting socks while I wait for it to realize there is no network connection.

K..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login