Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r Seems to have a bug

Posted by KimBrown 
Slic3r Seems to have a bug
February 18, 2014 04:22PM
I was printing a replacement X Motor mount when the print just stopped dead in it's tracks.
HotHead was on Bed was on.... It just stopped.
My first reaction was that there might be a bug in the Firmware.... But I was wrong....
I did a google search for a Gcode viewer and found an online viewer through your browser...
[gcode.ws]

Hmmmm well it's NOT the printers fault.....

Kim..

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Re: Slic3r Seems to have a bug
February 18, 2014 04:28PM
Just a thought. Are you running pronterface and loading file via USB? I had print stop several times in same place having loaded via USB cable on to the card but then loaded same file on to SD card directly and no problems so I think it might be the uploading. I was running the python pronterface and DC's bin.

Regards

Chris H
February 18, 2014 04:47PM
Hi Chris, yes I always use USB... Yes I did upload it via USB.... But the file I sent to the Web site was the copy on my DeskTop that I had used for the copy.... And was the file Slic3r had made.....

I see they have a new version of Slic3r out now... I'll try running the STL through the new version...

So it's not the printers fault...

February 18, 2014 05:05PM
Looks like it's a bug in the IamBurneys STL file... wonder if he's got a new file for his X motor mount...
Darn.. Had hoped to get this sorted tonight...

BTW I know it shows errors, but it still made the file... I put the file through that Web Site and it stopped at the same place....
That's a handy site to test the Gcodes on.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 05:07PM by KimBrown.

February 18, 2014 05:37PM
It takes a while for the slic3r to save the gcode. If you upload the gcode to pronterface before slic3r complete the process, you will only get half of the print. Not sure if thats your case, but I did such a mistake once.
February 18, 2014 06:13PM
@mancinism Hi, no it was the completed file I had on my desktop.... But I know what you mean....

I think that web site I found will be handy in future thou.....

February 18, 2014 06:28PM
Hi Kim, I understand this is the modified x-motor mount that you are trying to print. The gcode file I used to print it is here [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. I produced it using slic3r 1.0 RC2 and my standard settings for printing on solvent cement.

Which firmware are you using? I've recently released 57n-dc42 which appears to have resolved a hanging issue for Matt.

EDIT: STL file I produced the gcode form attached.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 06:32PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Attachments:
open | download - Modified x-motor-bracket1.stl (176.6 KB)
February 18, 2014 06:31PM
It wasn't my x motor mount Kim, I think it was johneato who modded it for dc42's revised sensor mount.

I'll dig out the thread link

Matt

p.s. no 'e' in iamburny

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
February 18, 2014 07:58PM
Hi Matt, sorry I thought you had done that upgrade. I was just thinking I must have downloaded an early version by mistake.

Just fitted one of your fan Hothead cooler mods... It's great BTW...

That site is handy thou.... I first thought when the print stopped it was a Firmware bug, but put the Gcode through the web site, and it stopped in the same place. Then I saw the Slic3r error warnings... So it was either Slic3r or the STL....

BTW Matt which Cad program are the original part drawn in (I might have asked before..... Sleepy here)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 08:03PM by KimBrown.

February 18, 2014 08:31PM
Hmmmm that's odd... It's the same STL as I have... Same 12 errors....

The Firmware is fine 57a....

I tried that Gcode from the web link you sent on that web site...
It stops in the same place.... How odd...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 08:35PM by KimBrown.

February 19, 2014 02:22AM
mancinism
It takes a while for the slic3r to save the gcode. If you upload the gcode to pronterface before slic3r complete the process, you will only get half of the print. Not sure if thats your case, but I did such a mistake once.

I always look at the g code for the happy ending before printing

G1 X2 Y190; park the machine
M0; stop
; filament used = 10536.1mm (25.3cm3)
February 19, 2014 04:28AM
KimBrown
Hmmmm that's odd... It's the same STL as I have... Same 12 errors....
Kim
I haven't worked out yet what generates the errors in Slic3r, however they are corrected and still prints ok. I've noticed this several times. The x motor mount, using the supplied stl printed fine for me and dc42. I have stepped through the layers on pronterface I have checked it on my CAM program all ok. I checked it on your online program and again it looks fine, It doesn't produce any errors and looks perfect in the 3d view. So I have to conclude that the stl is not causing the problem.. What have I missed on your screen dump that suggests the stl is faulty.
John
February 19, 2014 04:34AM
Yes I also use the gcode.ws a lot for checking my prints, i'm thinking about integrating it somehow with the Ormerod Web Interface as it provide tons of useful info regarding the g files.

I use OpenSCAD to create my parts, its a parametric cad package so relies on a programmatic description of the part opposed to a series of drawn lines and objects. I believe the original RRP part where crafted in Solidworks.

Errors/warnings reported by Slic3r are generally irrelevant to the printed output, they are often intersecting facets or tiny gaps that are both unnoticeable, however Netfabb is a free handy package that with attempt to repair STL errors.

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
February 19, 2014 11:41AM
iamburny
(...), however Netfabb is a free handy package that with attempt to repair STL errors.
Matt

I use that, but find that it never manages to repair the errors - if you load the "repaired" file, it still reports errors. Slic3r still manages to produce a good print file from the "bad" STLs though. I use 3 very different CAD programs, and they have all produced STL files that Netfabb says have errors (including OpenScad). I've assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that they are caused by the fact that you cannot mesh triangles perfectly around a curved surface.

Dave
(#106)
February 19, 2014 12:43PM
Hi,
only idea:
your Sliccer screen -> Info -> Facets: 3616 (2 shells).
Try to split Shells.
Shan't it tested.
February 19, 2014 08:39PM
Hmmmm thanks guys... been busy bed leveling again as my new 3mm bolts had arrived.

One thing I don't understand is I had forgotten at one time to reset the INFILL level.
I'd set it to 0.75 for something special, and had forgotten total all about it.
Anyway I did a print of the X motor mount with that infill and it completed.
The problem was it was very warped... A combination of fan backwash, and to
much infill I think. So I reset the infill to 0.4, and that was the start of the problems.
The print I did of the mount after that stopped at the same point as the first picture
of the thread.... I'll re-try installing the original configs in Slic3r and see if that fixes it
now. I must update another thread first...

February 20, 2014 03:15AM
Kim, as I mentioned earlier, you might want to try my 57n-dc42 firmware which fixes an issue with small moves. You can download using the raw button on this page [github.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 20, 2014 01:24PM
I had a print stop today - for the first time.
Loaded a file to SD via Pronterface. I had the 'Watch' box checked.
Started the print from SD, and it was going well before lunch. After lunch, the printer was halted and the PC screen had gone to sleep. Touching the mouse was enough to continue the print, and wake the screen.
Print halted again about ten minutes later - well before the PC could go to sleep.
Tried various combinations of reset, restart Pronterface, restart computer - printer refused to Home X, it simply moved a few mm towards me each time.

Not a Slic3r problem.

Bright sunshine was not directly on the Ormerod, but was shining on the desk; it was clearly providing enough IR to convince Ormerod that it was over the X stop.
Would that have caused the second halt in the print too?
Greg

Ormerod #17
February 20, 2014 01:36PM
Bright light should not cause a problem except during homing or aut bed levelling. The endstops are not monitored during normal print moves.

February 24, 2014 05:35PM
dc42
Kim, as I mentioned earlier, you might want to try my 57n-dc42 firmware which fixes an issue with small moves. You can download using the raw button on this page [github.com].

Just to say I came on here as I was having exactly the same issue with some shapes I had designed. Everytime I re-Sliced at different settings it would also stop at the same point. I could compare two prints and you could see the point was the same. I updated the firmware and I can now print a whole shape out. I was printing at 0.12mm before and the test print was at 0.24mm (for speed). So I would say the firmware fixed it for me (I was on 57a).
February 24, 2014 07:28PM
Well the printers sat in the car at the moment as I moved it there yesterday because of the weather being bad here
and the Bed had shifted.... First job when I get home is to fix the bed problem.... Then see if I can stop my Z axis
going walk abouts (I have plans for this to).... And lastly I'll do the update to the Firmware to use DCs code.
I would like to peek at the source code thou before I do it Out of curiosity more than anything else.
One more day at work, then the long drive home...... Looking forward to it.... And doing some mod on the printer....
But I think some beer will need to be drunk first....... cool smiley

February 24, 2014 07:46PM
Kim, as dc42 said in another thread, it's posted on github -if you follow this link you can browse the files [github.com], following this link should download the whole set [github.com] (this includes the source files, some libraries, design files, the SD image etc). As dc42 alsp mentioned the "o" version is experimental, and he's recommending the "n" version - I'm not sure how to reference historical versions (and in fact as I write this, I notice that the repository is updated, so maybe I have referenced an historical version winking smiley

Ray
February 25, 2014 01:42AM
Hi Kim,

If you have 'git' installed you can clone his Duet branch:

git clone -b duet git://github.com/dc42/RepRapFirmware

You can update this folder to dc42 latest version with this command:

git pull

RS-Online Ormerod #263, Kossel mini with Minitronics, Prusa i3 MK2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login