Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to modify Ormerod parts

Posted by appjaws1 
How to modify Ormerod parts
March 17, 2014 04:58PM
What and where can I find the design files for the Ormerod printed parts and what software should I use, I have designsparks and openscad but they don't like the stl files.
How are members modifying the parts?

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Re: How to modify Ormerod parts
March 17, 2014 05:25PM
Yes, it's a problem. I understand that RRP use a paid-for program to produce the stl files. I would much rather they were provided in openscad or some other open source design program format. There are some programs that can import stl files. I think Blender may be one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 05:27PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 17, 2014 05:30PM
Use the stp files instead, They are "dead", but at least you get decent solids to work with.
March 17, 2014 06:34PM
The solidworks files are provided (on github, i think). Solidworks is probably pretty expensive, but really useful and readily available for free for most students (and probably illegally for non-students). I would recommend getting a copy and learning it if you're going to be doing modifications and/or engineering based 3d printing.
March 18, 2014 12:44PM
Thought I would try Blender. The stl file loaded but the program looks so daunting and will be a long learning curve.

Are there any other suggestions for design software that is intuitive, not heavily dependent on math skills, that can adjust the current stl files for the Ormerod printed parts?

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
March 22, 2014 01:55PM
I have the same problem as you with Blender - very daunting.

I have all the stl files for the Ormerod downloaded from Reprappro when I originally bought my Ormerod a few weeks ago.

I use NetFabb, relatively easier to use for more constructional type tasks.

I have just printed a head; scanned in from Kinect and ReconstructMe, remeshed and corrected in Meshlab, minor "re-sculpted" in Meshmixer and then finally straightened out and put on a plinth in NetFabb,
From NetFabb you can export to an stl which Slic3r accepts.

Hope that helps.
March 22, 2014 05:00PM
Thanks Fiddler,
I'll try NetFabb

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login