Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware

Posted by dc42 
New firmware
February 24, 2014 10:12AM
I've released firmware 57o-dc42 here [github.com] (follow the link and click Raw to download). The changes in this version are:

1. Z-probing is now done in two stages: a fast stage at the configured home feed rate until within 10% of the target value, then a slow stage at 20% of that feed rate. This is to avoid overshooting the target probe reading.

2. Added provisional support for ultrasonic Z-probe. Separate Z-probe parameters are held for IR and ultrasonic probes, in case both are fitted.

3. Added additional optional Z probe parameters: calibration temperature, and temperature coefficient of height. Example: G31 Z0.8 P600 T60 C0.0076. If you do not specify a T value, then the current bed temperature will be assumed unless the G31 command is being processed from a file.

4. Z-probe parameters, Z-probe type, emulation mode and network IP addresses are now saved to flash memory so that they survive power-off and reset cycles. Note that whenever you load new firmware, the flash memory gets erased and all these parameters get reset to default values. Values read from config.g override the saved values.

5. Fixed issue with doing slow Z-moves immediately after Z-homing or probing.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New firmware
February 24, 2014 10:38AM
Great,
Good job, I'll try it out as soon as this print finishes.
Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
February 24, 2014 04:09PM
smileys with beer

I try it now.
Dario
February 24, 2014 06:52PM
DC42, thanks a lot for your updated firmware version, I've just flashed it onto my Duet and it actually seems to increase the accuracy of my Z-Probe smiling smiley
I also appreciate my Z-Probe parameters to be saved in flash rather than the on the SD card, as it is now a lot more comfortable to adjust these values whenever needed. Great job, really grinning smiley

The only thing I have noticed so far is that it sometimes causes a firmware crash during a Z homing. This seems to happen right after it detects the desired Z-Probe value and before it should lower the print head once again by a few mm. It isn't a big deal though, since the Z-Probe actually seems to be somewhat reliable using your updated firmware version thumbs up
February 24, 2014 07:02PM
@zombiepantslol, thanks for your feedback. I have managed to reproduce the issue you report, by homing X and Y and then repeatedly homing Z. I will investigate it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 24, 2014 07:10PM
Thanks for the hard work David... Would be interesting to see the source code sometime.
Kim..

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
February 24, 2014 07:22PM
Kim, the source code is available on github - just follow the link I gave and back up to the root of the repository.

However, for now I recommend that you stick with the 57n version, because there is definitely a problem in 57o with repeated z-homing.

February 24, 2014 07:43PM
I've fixed the issue with z-homing in the previous release. New release 057p-dc42 can be downloaded from [github.com] (follow the link and press Raw).

February 24, 2014 07:47PM
quick worksmiling smiley
February 24, 2014 08:53PM
David, I think (? My printer is in the car, so I can't check), that 57a (the firmware I'm using) has that problem as well.
I think it happend to me a couple of times when I was messing around doing the Red Glass tests.

Also I found zeroing the Z axis in a position that wasn't the normal position for homing the Head (I started doing it at x=100)
would accept the 0.1mm reading I put in, but when I checked the position of the Head via Pronterface (with out moving it)
it would report a different reading to the 0.1mm. It took me a few minutes to twig on what was going on, but
it was the bed leveling compensation that was throwing the Z reading out.
I mechanically leveled the bed, turned off leveling compensation and it cured the problem......

Some times these things are to clever for their own good.... And very dogmatic...

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
February 25, 2014 03:17AM
KimBrown
David, I think (? My printer is in the car, so I can't check), that 57a (the firmware I'm using) has that problem as well.
I think it happend to me a couple of times when I was messing around doing the Red Glass tests.

That's a different problem. The one I just fixed was one I introduced in 0.57o.

KimBrown
Also I found zeroing the Z axis in a position that wasn't the normal position for homing the Head (I started doing it at x=100)
would accept the 0.1mm reading I put in, but when I checked the position of the Head via Pronterface (with out moving it)
it would report a different reading to the 0.1mm. It took me a few minutes to twig on what was going on, but
it was the bed leveling compensation that was throwing the Z reading out.

I fixed that one a few versions ago.

February 25, 2014 07:19AM
Maybe I'm lucky and I did not find problems with 057o-dc42
However, this morning I installed the 057p-dc42 ...now the printing is in progress.
I'm just using the usb.
I have no problems to report ...
smiling smiley
February 25, 2014 02:52PM
I've just added revision 057q-dc42 here [github.com]. The only change is to make the M106 fan control command work properly, and to add an optional P parameter to allow the PWM range to be set to a value other than 0.0 to 1.0, e.g. 0 to 255 for compatibility with slic3r and Cura. The value of this parameter is not currently stored in non-volatile memory, but could be if users want that.

February 25, 2014 02:59PM
> 057q-dc42
@ version "q" already? careful you might run out of characters ;-)
jk
February 25, 2014 03:29PM
dc42
I've just added revision 057q-dc42 here [github.com]. The only change is to make the M106 fan control command work properly, and to add an optional P parameter to allow the PWM range to be set to a value other than 0.0 to 1.0, e.g. 0 to 255 for compatibility with slic3r and Cura. The value of this parameter is not currently stored in non-volatile memory, but could be if users want that.

for proper fan control we need a new fan...
Slic3r, filament setting, cooling, enable auto config!... or choose the best conf.
eye rolling smiley
February 25, 2014 03:36PM
I should make it clear that the fan control is not intended for the hotend fan, it is intended for an additional cooling fan.

February 25, 2014 04:01PM
For the hot-end fan there is nothing to do?
Modulation is not possible?
I probably did not read all the posts.... sorry

however brilliant work! dc42

Dario
February 25, 2014 04:35PM
The hot end fan serves two functions:

1. To cool the heatsink, which in turn cools the nozzle, preventing the filament from melting too far up the nozzle;

2. To cool the work, at least when printing PLA (may not be desirable when printing ABS). For example, I think that fairly rapid cooling (or a lower extrusion temperature) is desirable when bridging.

Requirement (1) means that the hotend fan must be on all the time while the extruder is hot. The hotend/sensor board I have designed (and is currently awaiting completion of PCB fabrication) includes thermostatic hotend fan control, but only to turn the hotend fan off when the extruder is cold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 04:36PM by dc42.

February 25, 2014 08:01PM
I agree... with you
for the 2° function Slic3r
shows us many opportunities to cooling.... or not ...and when.

But for this action we need a second modular cooling fan.

Your design is...
"only to turn the hotend fan off when the extruder is cold"
winking smileymore than enough to put me in the list!
Thanks

Dario
February 26, 2014 11:05AM
As Reprap's site is still not fully operational can somebody supply me with the command line to update the firmware from windows.I'm quite happy with the process, I just need the bossac commandline. It will teach me to store it locally

John
February 26, 2014 11:09AM
oops - I've only got my mac command line, but the switches are the same:

/hardware/tools/bossac --port=cu.usbmodemfd121 -U true -e -w -v -b yourPathtoFirmware/RepRapFirmware-057q-dc42.bin -R [edit I forgot the file and last switch, which is reset) /edit]

you'll need COM4 or whatever for the port of coursesmiling smiley

Cheers

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 11:12AM by rayhicks.
February 26, 2014 11:20AM
Thanks Ray
February 26, 2014 11:21AM
bossac --port=COM3 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-057q-dc42.bin -R
smiling smiley
KP
February 26, 2014 12:19PM
I've written a batch file to save typing but I can't get my tablet to attach the file so you'll have to do this the hard way...

Copy the following into notepad and save as 'Flash Firmware.cmd' in the same directory as bossac.

@echo off
title RepRapPro Ormerod Flash Utility
echo.
set /p ComPort= Enter COM port for Duet (as 'COMx'): 
echo.
echo Please press the 'ERASE' button,
echo then the 'RESET' button and wait
echo at least 10 seconds then:
echo.
pause
echo.
bossac --port=%ComPort% -U true -e -w -v -b %1 -R
echo.
pause

To use, just drag & drop a firmware file on top of 'Flash Firmware.cmd' and follow the instructions.

Kev.
February 26, 2014 12:48PM
Actually you don't need to wait 10 seconds, you can run bossac as soon as Windows has recognized the change in the port - which on my system is more or less immediate.

February 26, 2014 01:17PM
Nice one Kev, that works great.
John
February 28, 2014 12:11PM
Do I have to follow a new procedure to get bed-compensation to work with RepRapFirmware-057q-dc42.bin?
I'm asking because I just flashed 57q and got a "squeezed" first layer on one corner of the bed and "round filament" in the other corner.
checking Z, i realized that it is "standing still" (not compendasting) as usuall.
Same with printing "cricle.g".

What I do @ startup:

get Bed / Head to temperature
Home X/Z
G32
G1 X100 Y100
lower Z until it pinches a paper sheet
G92 Z0
print (from SD-Card).

what Did I do wrong, what should I do differently with 57q? Is there anything else I should try?
thanks to all for your continued help!
February 28, 2014 12:31PM
Maybe your bed compensation settings were in your config which you might have overwritten when updating? I have a separate macro for this in my host software, the format is:

M556 S100 X0 Y0 Z0
G30 P0 X20 Y20 Z0.0
G30 P1 X20 Y160 Z0.8
G30 P2 X160 Y160 Z0.6
G30 P3 X160 Y20 Z0.1 S

I measure the offsets each time I'm going to use bed compensation and update the figures in red above, then run the macro (more convenient than saving it on the SD card for me),

Ray
February 28, 2014 01:21PM
No you don't need to do anything different, although homing Z is now optional because the G32 will calibrate Z if not already done. I presume you homed the Y axis as well, even though you didn't say so? Be aware that the IR sensor is sensitive to sunlight and incandescent artificial light. Also, if you are still using alu tape on the corners of the bed, replace it with white tape or white paper.

KP
February 28, 2014 02:33PM
As I'm now using a proper computer, I can upload the file from my previous post at last.

I've made a couple of slight alterations, it only needs you to enter the COM port number now.

Kev.
Attachments:
open | download - Flash Firmware.cmd (362 bytes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login