Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA doesn't stick on glass

Posted by urbanzakapa 
PLA doesn't stick on glass
May 10, 2014 05:41PM
Guys,
When I tried to print the PLA, it seemed like the PLA didn't stick to the mirror. The PLA just oozed out and coiled up at the nozzle in which I think it supposed to be smooth line whenever the PLA is extruded out from the extruder (am I right about this?) . So I'm not sure what modifications can be done to make it stick on the mirror. Btw, I've already layered the mirror with Kapton tape, but the tape is too small that made me to combined several piece of the tape to make the mirror fully covered.

Please help me on this!!!
Thanks .
Re: PLA doesn't stick on glass
May 10, 2014 06:29PM
Hi, if you are using tape then you need to clean it with something like Acitone when it is cold....
Use a bed temp of 57' and a HotEnd temp of 195' You also need to have the Z-axis homed correctly.
Do a G1 X100 Y100 Z0 and see if there s a gap... If there is a gap then the first layer won't stick.
If there is a gap then lower the nozzle till the gap is just closed and use G92 Z0 to set the Zero.
The tape is there to make it easier to print, so if the temps are correct, and the gap is correct then it should stick.

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
May 10, 2014 10:03PM
Hi,

Like Kim said, perfect first layer depends on precise Z0. If you're printing on plain glass, you need to clean the glass surface really well.
I'm printing on plain glass too. I clean/degrease the surface with denatured alcohol, ( Acetone works well but quite pricy in our country), and wipe with diluted vinegar . Normally printed object will pop apart from the glass by itself when glass temperature drop to room temperature. hope this help .

Ew
May 11, 2014 05:17AM
LoL I get impatient with releasing the print from my glass.
I take the hot glass/print to the sink and run the cold tap. It floats off after a minute or two on it's own.

I'm not totaly sure what the Vinegar does to the glass, but it was a tip DC42 and Dmould told me about when I first started using glass.
But I've found in the Vinegars case, the best results are got when the glass is hot applied with fresh clean kitchen towel, and you can actualy feel the glass starts
to grip the the damp kitchen towel. But you must start printing within 10 minutes, else you have to apply the Vinegar again.

Since fitting the MicroSwitches to my X-axis and Z-axis the only time a print hasn't started is if I've been lazy andnot scrubbed the glass.

Kim

May 11, 2014 05:19AM
Hi

I print PLA onto plain glass brushed with a 1 to 5 mixture of PVA glue.
Every 3/4 prints I might brush another thin coat on.

Every so often when the bed is getting a little "rough" I wash off the old pva in plain water, dry it with tissue and start again.

I use a bed of 57* and nozzle of 185*, but as per previous comments, the bed has to be level and Z zeroed

Tim
May 11, 2014 05:38AM
Hi All,

I print PLA and ABS on glass using normal extra strong hold hairspray, the ones your mother uses are fine. You can then put the white stickers on the conners in the clear and get a lot more accuracy from the sensor.

Check that in contains Vinyl neodecanoate copolymer, this has a chemical reaction with the filament under heat and will then make it stick and the filament comes out matt against the glass.

You never have to wipe it every few prints adding a newer layer of spray cancels out any flaws from previous prints.

I would guess cleaning the glass every 100 - 200 prints or so will be a good idea.
May 11, 2014 09:28AM
I having the same problem before. Printing on glass is ok but you need to have really clean glass.
I still print on kapton as well. The solution is crean it wit IPA it work for me all the time.
Refer to my previous post here [forums.reprap.org]
May 11, 2014 11:12AM
Thanks guys. I'll try everything suggested here.
May 11, 2014 02:38PM
drinking smiley IPA is a Beer here..... and you want to waste it cleaning a printer......smileys with beer

May 11, 2014 03:09PM
KimBrown
drinking smiley IPA is a Beer here..... and you want to waste it cleaning a printer......smileys with beer

What? Oh no,,
May 11, 2014 05:20PM
Just wondering... would priming the glass with beer work as well as (or better than) vinegar?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login