Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Data of fan?

Posted by Treito 
Data of fan?
June 08, 2014 10:15AM
Hello,

I am new to this board and to 3D printing. I have an Ormerod green edition and I unfortunately got a version with two long sliding rods and place to hide. i tell you this so that you have a hint what kind of revision i have. I have many problems (Should I tell them in seperate threads or in just one?). Let me start with this loud fan. After a short time the bearing seems to have a damage. I do not know how long the fan would make it anymore. I would like to replace it with a better (and hopefully not so loud) one, but I need to know the technical data especially the flow rate.

Kind regards,

Sven
Re: Data of fan?
June 08, 2014 12:04PM
Hi,

There was some discussion on the original fan here.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
June 08, 2014 12:18PM
Okay thanks, but the technical data I woud need is not there listed, only guesses (CFM). But it is a little bit poor that the bearing is damaged only after three days of using and only one successfull .
June 08, 2014 12:33PM
A quick google of the part number shows the specs here

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
June 08, 2014 12:43PM
Many thanks. I googled with "Superfan" and part number and the results were poor.
June 08, 2014 02:46PM
The problem with using a quieter fan is that it will probably be less effective at cooling; but perhaps effective enough. Alternatively, you can install one of my hot end boards that replaces the z-probe, adds lighting, and only turns the fan on when the hot end is above 40C. Then the fan is only on during printing and cooldown, not when the printer is idle.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 08, 2014 02:48PM
Treito
Okay thanks, but the technical data I woud need is not there listed, only guesses (CFM). But it is a little bit poor that the bearing is damaged only after three days of using and only one successfull .

If the bearing really is damaged, then you could ask RRP for a warranty replacement and I am sure they will be happy to oblige.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 08, 2014 03:22PM
The new y-idler-ends should be on the way. Also the z-upper mount, but this did fit. I had some very little problems with the support, because you cannot order here directly at RS.

BTT. There is something wrong with the bearing definitely. When I start the ormerod the fan makes really loud noises and does not run at full speed. My guess is that the fan wheel can move a little bit and the impreller (if this is called so) contacs the case or something else. I have often seen problems like this, but not that fast. I found one fan with more power and less noise - theoretically. Datasheet of fan
I am not familar with this kind of connection. Is it possible to remove the pins of the old fan without a special tool? Otherwise I would connect it directly to the duet board.
June 08, 2014 06:21PM
dc42
The problem with using a quieter fan is that it will probably be less effective at cooling; but perhaps effective enough. Alternatively, you can install one of my hot end boards that replaces the z-probe, adds lighting, and only turns the fan on when the hot end is above 40C. Then the fan is only on during printing and cooldown, not when the printer is idle.

I replaced mine with a cheap fan from ebay, and have had no problems with cooling the hotend. It maybe cools the print a bit less, but things still print good, and I have been able to bridge what I need to. The fan I got is about half the thickness of the original one, 9 blade, and if I found the right specs it's 6.7 CFM / 7000rpm. Those numbers are close to the specs for the original fan, but it is _significantly_ less noisy.
June 09, 2014 07:43AM
I thought I'd posted this before, but here it is again:

The fan label has the following information:
Superfan - Made in China
DC Brushless fan
Model: DC4020S12H
DC 12V 0.15A
CE
YOFOLON HOLDING ELECTRONIC CO., LTD

Here's a link to pretty much the same fan: [superfan.en.alibaba.com]

Model: HD4020S12H
Size: 40*40*20mm
Bearing: Sleeve/Ball
Voltage: 12V
Current: 0.13A
Power: 1.56W
Speed: 7500rpm
Air Flow: 8.60CFM
Pressure: 5.58mmH2O
Noise: 33.60dBA
Weight: 23g
Name: 4020 fan

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 07:44AM by droftarts.
June 09, 2014 07:52AM
Many thanks. As I repeated googeling I found data of the fan which showed 9.9CFM. If 8.6 is really enough it can be a lot quieter. But as I printed yesterday over night I was hearing the fan not as much as the motors so this is indeed a secondary problem. The main problem is the bearing. I would prefer someone with a better bearing.
June 09, 2014 09:56AM
Treito
The new y-idler-ends should be on the way. Also the z-upper mount, but this did fit. I had some very little problems with the support, because you cannot order here directly at RS.

BTT. There is something wrong with the bearing definitely. When I start the ormerod the fan makes really loud noises and does not run at full speed. My guess is that the fan wheel can move a little bit and the impreller (if this is called so) contacs the case or something else. I have often seen problems like this, but not that fast. I found one fan with more power and less noise - theoretically. Datasheet of fan
I am not familar with this kind of connection. Is it possible to remove the pins of the old fan without a special tool? Otherwise I would connect it directly to the duet board.

I found that if the bolts holding the fan are too tight, they distort the fan case and cause the blades to contact the shroud. Try loosening them half a turn or so and see if the noise goes away. Unfortunately the same bolts hold the heatsink against the cool block, so they should not be too loose otherwise you will lose thermal contact. I replaced my fan in January with RS part 758-8207. This is so quiet you cannot hear it and the case doesn't distort with tight bolts. It has a lower CFM than the original, but I did extensive temperature measurements after the replacement and found no problems, and there have so far been no cooling-related issues after printing about 8Kg of ABS to date.

Dave
(#106)
June 10, 2014 03:43AM
dmould
and there have so far been no cooling-related issues after printing about 8Kg of ABS to date.

eye popping smiley Does your Ormerod never sleep?

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
June 10, 2014 07:34AM
Pointy
dmould
and there have so far been no cooling-related issues after printing about 8Kg of ABS to date.

eye popping smiley Does your Ormerod never sleep?

Les

It's been working at least 4 days a week, often on prints that take 8 hours or longer. The Ormerod was purchased as a "proof of concept" for making prototypes for my company, and having shown that this type of 3D printing is indeed viable for that purpose, the Ormerod will shortly be retired from commercial use, and we will acquire a far more expensive commercial printer. It will be interesting to see the difference. The Ormerod will still however be kept working - I have a long list of private projects for it to complete before it will be permitted to retire! I also want to experiment with modifications.

Dave
(#106)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login