Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noisy X Axis

Posted by Pointy 
Noisy X Axis
May 18, 2014 07:10AM
I have been modding away at my Ormerod since the day I built it and I am really happy with the results. I am finally starting to get good consistent results. The one thing that's annoying me at the moment though, is the noise from my X axis. It groans and whines quite a lot, mainly from the Z screw to the middle. I have tried oiling the shaft and messing with the belt tension but it has made no difference. I would be surprised if the shaft is bent but I do have the 2 Y shafts free, so I might swap them over as a test.

I know the LM12LUU linear bearings are cheap so wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a better bearing or anything else I can try?

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
Re: Noisy X Axis
May 18, 2014 07:49AM
Pointy
linear bearings are cheap so wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a better bearing or anything else I can try?

Regards,

Les

Hi Les,
[www.zen-group.cn]
I do not know where you are...
I bought them here:
[www.qualitybearingsonline.com]

Regards
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
May 18, 2014 08:29AM
Thanks for the links Dario. (I am in UK for future reference)

What did you replace the LM12LUU with? The LM 12 UU in that pdf is only 30mm long. As I am probeless I could shorten the X carriage to 40mm, but I am not sure if it would be a good idea to overhang the bearing.

I just had a look at my original Y carriage shafts and bearings and boy are they poor quality. Both the shafts and bearings show signs of some form of tarnish or corrosion. Surely these bearings should spin freely around the shaft as well as sliding up and down? All 3 are very stiff and squeaky if I try to rotate them around the shaft but they seem to slide reasonably smoothly although very noisy.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 18, 2014 10:24AM
I think the bearings are designed only for continual linear motion, not rotary motion. If your x-plate is flat then there should be very little rotary motion.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 18, 2014 10:52AM
dc42
I think the bearings are designed only for continual linear motion, not rotary motion. If your x-plate is flat then there should be very little rotary motion.

You are probably right DC, they do slide along the shaft.

If you have the original Ormerod Y carriage with the bed just resting on the front bearing, try this. Lift the bed off the front bearing and see if you can spin the bearing around the shaft with one finger. Mine is so tight that I have to use two fingers to grip it, and it squeals like a rusty hinge!

I am actually thinking of using one of these. The Igus Drylin is working well on the Y axis. The only problem is, it's only 32mm long, I can trim the X carriage to 40mm which that would mean a 4mm overhang each end and hopefully this wouldn't cause any problems.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 18, 2014 11:07AM
Pointy
What did you replace the LM12LUU with?
Les

in the original kit (Ormerod187) I replaced with 2 LM12UU
same in the Bamboo version... one is probably enough, but I had no problems.

On my new ally version all zen bearings..
623-ZZ - ZEN, LM12UU - ZEN
excluding the front plate Y bearing... I like it in PLA

Regards
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
May 20, 2014 05:04AM
Here's a picture of the corrosion on the bearing...

Yes I know this is only the outside, but maybe a similar thing is going on on the inside.

Anyway I decided to get the Igus Drylin bearing and I am also going to replace the X axis shaft with the Igus aluminium one. I have tweaked the X carriage to make it 40mm long and also have a 22mm opening for the new bearing. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 20, 2014 05:17AM
Les, if there's enough moisture in your environment to cause that amount of corrosion, I wonder what it's doing to your filament?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 07, 2014 04:55AM
I finally got round to fitting the new Igus aluminium rod and bearing and it has made a huge difference. As the bearing is a different size it means a new X carriage is required, and I am currently printing a new design that has the nozzle mount built in...

My first attempt failed as it didn't print the cut out for the bowden tube very well, which is why I added some supports. I'll let you know if it works.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
June 08, 2014 04:22AM
The 2nd attempt printed great, but I made a major mistake with the design. I tried to add more meat around the back of the bearing without think about the clearance to the vertical aluminium profile, and when I tried to home the X axis the carriage crashed into it.moody smiley

After a quick tweak and re-print it fits good and clears the profile...

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
June 11, 2014 08:06AM
I have just printed a new bearing for the x axis arm using a new filament from Igus. I have attached details of the filament. The new bush is not only quiter than the old bush but is lighter. You dont need to alter the original x axis bearing housing as the bearing which is flanged at one end snaps into place easily. I have attached the STL file if anyone would like to carry out the mod. You will need to ream the bush out to 12mm once printed to allow it to slide along the rod easily.
Attachments:
open | download - igus.jpg (290 KB)
open | download - igus 2.jpg (424.3 KB)
open | download - ormerod x axis bush.jpg (245.2 KB)
open | download - x axis bearing.stl (128.3 KB)
June 12, 2014 01:37AM
Thanks for posting 3djim,

I haven't printed anything other than PLA, but I might look into that Igus stuff at some point.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login