Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing spare parts for your Ormerod

Posted by droftarts 
Printing spare parts for your Ormerod
January 05, 2014 09:20AM
Prompted by this post in another thread:

Treth
@Ian (RepRapPro) as noted above there are differences between the RS build and the green build. As many of us can now print parts on the RS build are there any parts you would recommend we print to your latest standard? I am thinking of reliability/robustness here as the machine is built.

Parts that have changed since the first release of red RS printers:
Duet-encolsure (holes bigger)
z-runner-mount (now adjustable)
z-nut-trap (now has nut trap! You will need to cut the nut trap off the x-rib)

We haven't really noticed any particularly vulnerable printed parts. However, it would be sensible to print out:
1. the meshing gears (in case they wear) - extruder large and small gear, z-axis gears
2. any part that is under strain (in case it cracks/breaks) - z-lower-mount is the only one I can really think of.
3. any part near heat a heat source (in case it over heats and bends/melts) - nozzle-mount, heatsink-duct, fan-duct, x-carriage

Any other suggestions? I'll update this thread with them.

The latest parts are found here: [github.com]
The extruder parts are missing at the moment; you can find them in the 'history', here: [github.com]
All parts are available in SolidWorks format here: [github.com]
And all the parts as a singe STEP file here: [github.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Re: Printing spare parts for your Ormerod
January 05, 2014 09:26AM
Hi,

I already printed all parts of the Ormerod (replicated #004-002 winking smiley ) and had only minor issues with them. I exchanged some with the current build, and only had minor problems with the extruder gears where I had to file some gears so that everything is moving very smoothly. But I also had this to do with the original extruder gears supplied in the kit. Maybe this might be a hint/ tip in the instructions?

I also lasercut some parts and found out that I had some unconnected knots when converting the .dxf files to Inkscape. But this can be corrected either by connecting the knots or by looking into the gcode generated for the lasercutter.

Markus

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
January 05, 2014 11:52AM
@Ian,
Thanks, most useful.
I am already planning the 'hot' parts after my fan not working experience in which they just survived..
Z nut is a good suggestion as are the gears.

My build parts were good fits within expected adjustments and without any breaks except for the black laser cut part by the z nut.

The only other issue I would like to improve is the concentricity of the gear that drives the z studding and the bearing, it may not have much effect on the print, but it would look nicer.
Thanks.

@Markus, good that you are leading the pack with experiences and successes!
January 24, 2014 11:24AM
Just a bump for this thread - my original non-adjustable Z-runner is in need of replacing (the runner bearings no longer hold the extrusion tightly enough, so I have some wiggle in the X axis arm) - Ian pointed out that he'd already posted the replacement in a thread and pointed me here - I think most people with the red parts will need one of these eventually...

Ray
June 22, 2014 09:57AM
The parts are in dxf format, but if you save the file as dxf, what is saved is actually the html code, which obviously is useless for cutting the part. I managed to break the x-rib when I was making my first Ormerod Reprap pro. When I downloaded the dxf, it refused to open in Acad, so I copied the dxf part nad made a REAL dxf file. I am attaching it here. Will be repeating for other acrylic parts as and when I get the time.

Deepak
Attachments:
open | download - x-rib.dxf (84 KB)
June 22, 2014 11:30AM
dtemcar
The parts are in dxf format, but if you save the file as dxf, what is saved is actually the html code

I think you need to follow the link and then use the Raw button, just as for downloading the firmware. Or download the whole file tree as a zip and extract the files you need.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 22, 2014 11:53AM
dc42
dtemcar
The parts are in dxf format, but if you save the file as dxf, what is saved is actually the html code
I think you need to follow the link and then use the Raw button, just as for downloading the firmware. Or download the whole file tree as a zip and extract the files you need.

As dc42 says, it's just the way github works. It really expects you to download the whole repository; you can't just right click on a file to download it. For example:
1. Here's the file list: [github.com]
2. If you right click on 'x-rib.dxf' and download that, what you actually get is this page (accessed with a left click instead), even though it has 'dxf' on the end: [github.com]
3. But on that page, if you right click 'RAW', and download THAT file, you get the proper dxf file: [github.com]

Hope that helps. I do have to explain this quite often...

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 11:53AM by droftarts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login