Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle mount in OpenScad?

Posted by dc42 
Nozzle mount in OpenScad?
June 18, 2014 06:00PM
Does anyone have a design for the Ormerod nozzle mount in OpenScad? I need to modify it to accommodate a dual-nozzle hot end.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Nozzle mount in OpenScad?
June 18, 2014 07:10PM
Have you tried importing the original as stl? Dunno if that would help or not?

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
June 23, 2014 07:18AM
My experience with importing STLs into OpenScad has not been good so far - invariably, I find that OpenScad says it can't process the file.

I've now created an OpenScad model of the nozzle mount and saved it at [github.com]. It has an option for dual nozzles, which is why I wanted it in the first place.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 23, 2014 10:19AM
Cool thing,

hope you made it right!
June 24, 2014 01:41AM
dc42
My experience with importing STLs into OpenScad has not been good so far - invariably, I find that OpenScad says it can't process the file.

I found this to start with. The usual reason is that there are malformed parts to the file, for example 2 points at the same place. It doesnt help you much if its an external file, but when making things using OpenScad, if you take meticulous care for example, when doing a union, to make sure the parts overlap, when subtracting to make sure you arent left with infinitely thin walls etc, then you should find that OpenSCAD accepts the files, and I'm starting to get quite productive with this now, by saving complex basic parts as stl, then they load and render much more quickly.

I believe that the OpenSCAD dev team have talked about being a bit more tolerant of technically malformed stl files and its on the TODO list, but means delving into CGAL library.

Anyway problem solved!

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login