Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Signs that its time for a new filament reel

Posted by Sardi 
Signs that its time for a new filament reel
June 27, 2014 04:58PM
Ive read a couple of times about users not being able to use the complete reel of filament, usually some problems occur at the end of the reel (last 50-100m).

That happened to me today. My reel is 3 months old, its been out in the open all the time, and Ive come to my last 50m (or even less). One part of the filament sticks to the glass plate, other one doesnt (the plate is clean), and also layers do not stick one to each other and get warped and distorted as more layers are created.

I tried printing some old parts, just to make clear that I didnt mess something up with exported g-code settings, but old parts were also badly printed.

So I am ditching this last fewer than 50m and starting a new fresh reel thumbs up
Re: Signs that its time for a new filament reel
June 27, 2014 10:54PM
I wouldn't ditch it Sardi....
I revamp mine..... Put it in a zip seal bag with silicon gel, and leave it some where hot/warm for a few days... Seems to work.
I use my machine on a ship, and 99.9% of the time we're surrounded by water, and it prints fine.
If the filament does get damp, it seems to start POPPING. Dust is a killer. As the reels pick up allot of static.
Don't ditch it...

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Re: Signs that its time for a new filament reel
June 28, 2014 02:11AM
Well, didnt think really of throwing it away. maybe just replacing it, cause it POPS like crazy now.
Im going to put it away, but here in Croatia its impossible to fine sillica bags, I think I am going to have to use good old rice to od the trick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login