Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing the location of configuration files for Slic3r

Posted by ezwul 
Changing the location of configuration files for Slic3r
June 28, 2014 10:47AM
Hi

I have been searching the forums and whilst doing this leads you to a large amount of historical and upto date information that I did not know and have now learnt i did not find the info I was after.
So after an appropriate length tof time search I thought a question here might get a quick response from soneone who does know, I suppose I should also post on the Slic3r forum as well.

I would like to use github to store all my prints, along with their setings and any changes I have made. Its what github is for.
However, to so this I would like to change the default location of Slic3rs configuration directory tree from "C:\Users\$user\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r\" to the location inside my github local clone.

I noticed in one of the slic3r.ini files in reprappros ormerod reporistory this line:
"config_directory = /home/ensab/Pro/Git/Mendel/Print-mendel/Tray-STLs"
and thought that might move the config directory tree to some other location.
But it does not seem to do what I hoped.

Anyone have an idea how to relocate the slic3r settings tree location?

Lloyd
Re: Changing the location of configuration files for Slic3r
June 28, 2014 06:48PM
Hi Lloyd

I don't think you can do this from within Slic3r, but you can do it by running slic3r from a command prompt (or a script) and add a command line switch to point to a config directory in a different place. We used to do this with Pronterface, as when Slic3r is called from within Pronterface you can add the switches there, but it always got confusing for customers when they opened Slic3r directly, and the settings disappeared, as Slic3r then used the default directory.

The best place to start is [manual.slic3r.org] , and probably then open a command line, change directory to the Slic3r folder, and type 'slic3r --help'. There's a listing of the response here: [github.com]

I don't actually have our version of Pronterface on my home computer, so I'm not sure of the actual command it sends, but when you do invoke Slic3r from Pronterface, it sends a command that can start Slic3r in a specific config directory. I'll look it up when I'm at work on Monday.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
June 28, 2014 08:39PM
Hi Ian

I'm using 1-0-1 stable at the moment.

Running Slic3r-console.exe --help gives the --load option as the way to pull configuration files in, presumably using it three times on the command line for each of the different files.

Just noticed that Pronterface adds the option --datadir, hopefully thats what I actually need.

I will experiment tomorrow, and see what the effect are when used with slic3r.exe.

Thanks for your reply.

Lloyd
June 29, 2014 08:31PM
Hi

Ok, to answer my own question and after checking the Slic3r code:

There is a --datadir command line option, I believe this pulls in the slic3r.ini file in the directory specified which should then have stored in it the configuration for Slic3r.

So in a windows 7 desktop shortcut with Target box containing:
D:\pronterface\Slic3r-1-0-1-stable\slic3r.exe --datadir="C:\Users\default\Desktop\GitHub\3dDesigns\Slic3rConfigrations"
Slic3r.exe will look for the slic3r.ini file in the C:\Users\default\Desktop\GitHub\3dDesigns\Slic3rConfigrations directory and use this for configuration.
June 30, 2014 04:49AM
Yes, --datadir is what Pronterface uses, so you can set it in command line using that. Annoyingly, it's undocumented in the Slic3r help. Thanks for finding the answer!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 04:49AM by droftarts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login