Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Axis compensation

Posted by Made2Fade 
Axis compensation
July 03, 2014 05:16AM
Hi guys...

im busy following the axis compensation section on the reprap site. I seem to be having a problem when it comes to giving the Z axis its zero position. When i give the G92 Z0 command in the serial monitor, the Z position does not seem to change to 0.0 on the web control screen.
I then come to setting up the Z probe and measuring the gap from the bed to the nozzle. After putting this information into the config file my nozzle still seems to crash into the bed everytime i home the Z axis.
My X axis also seems to clatter beyond its travel when homing it.
Any help here greatly appreciated.
Re: Axis compensation
July 03, 2014 05:26AM
What versions of the firmware and web interface are you using?

Re the x axis crashing when you try to home it, you can monitor the G31 reading as you move the head so that the IR sensor is over the homing tab on the x motor mount. Chances are that it is a little lower than the G31 P value you have set. Putting a piece of white tape on top of the homing tab will probably fix it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 03, 2014 06:31AM
Hi im using firmware version 0.65 as of 15/04/2014. I seem to now have the Z axis homing correctly. The white tape was not going to the corner of the glass on the bed so the Z probe probably wasnt detecting it correctly.
I still cannot get the X axis to stop clattering/crashing at the end of its travel though. Im a little unsure where the homing tab is on the x motor that you are describing.

Thanks.
July 03, 2014 06:34AM
Ah ive found it! Ill try sticking some white tape on there.
Thankyou!
July 03, 2014 07:01AM
Ok that fixed the problem easily smileys with beer
The figures for the X and Y head position in the web control software are always hovering around 28 - 29 and never seem to move even when moving all the axis about. Is this normal at this stage of the compensation?
July 03, 2014 08:25AM
Made2Fade
The figures for the X and Y head position in the web control software are always hovering around 28 - 29 and never seem to move even when moving all the axis about. Is this normal at this stage of the compensation?

No. It sounds to me that you are not running compatible versions of the firmware and web interface, and the bed and extruder temperatures are showing up in the X and Y coordinates. If you are running RRP's 0.65e firmware then you need to run their current release version of the web interface. If you are running my 0.65j firmware, then you need web interface 0.95 from my repository.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 04, 2014 04:38AM
How can i find if its e or j firmware please as its not telling me in the serial monitor? it just says FIRMWARE_NAME:RepRapFirmware FIRMWARE_VERSION:0.65 ELECTRONICSgrinning smileyuet DATE:2014-05-15 when i give the M115 G code.
Its been a while since i flashed the firmware and im finding it difficult to remember which version i used.
If i download the latest 0.78 version from the github then what consequences will it have on the printer if i go ahead and flash it right now. Ive just finished printing the tools for setting up the orthogonal axis using pronterface. Will i need to go through and setup the whole printer again?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 04:46AM by Made2Fade.
July 04, 2014 05:13AM
Made2Fade
How can i find if its e or j firmware please as its not telling me in the serial monitor? it just says FIRMWARE_NAME:RepRapFirmware FIRMWARE_VERSION:0.65 ELECTRONICSgrinning smileyuet DATE:2014-05-15 when i give the M115 G code.
Its been a while since i flashed the firmware and im finding it difficult to remember which version i used.

It sounds to me that you have the original RepRapPro 0.65 firmware, not 0.65e or my 0.65j. In which case, you should definitely upgrade it.

Made2Fade
If i download the latest 0.78 version from the github then what consequences will it have on the printer if i go ahead and flash it right now. Ive just finished printing the tools for setting up the orthogonal axis using pronterface. Will i need to go through and setup the whole printer again?

You should not need to re-do orthogonal axis compensation if you upgrade the firmware.

July 04, 2014 05:44AM
Thanks for all your help... ill upgrade it right away :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login