Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer plate alternative

Posted by mirkov 
Printer plate alternative
November 11, 2014 10:57AM
Hi,

some time ago I saw a couple of links for two plates with special coating alternatives to glass, but I don't remember their names and don't find the thread.
Could you please send me these links?

Another plate is this, but a bit too big:

[shop.germanreprap.com]
Re: Printer plate alternative
November 11, 2014 11:02AM
Do you mean this one? [www.ebay.de]

It has been working well on my machine, but it doesn't seem to like Nylon. When I tried to print that stuff at 120°C, the laminating foil came off and I had to carefully re-apply it, but fortunately I managed to get it working again.
November 11, 2014 11:32AM
Hi,

i now use this one since about 8 weeks with every day printing....!!! And it looks like never used. Perfect thing!

https://youprintin3d.de/hardware/heizbetten/94/dauerdruckplatte-aluminium.html
November 11, 2014 11:43AM
x zoombiepantslol: yes, that one! I'll give it a try, thanks.

x muggi: alu impregnated with polyethylenimine... I'll do some research! smiling smiley
November 11, 2014 01:48PM
hi mirkov,

works perfect for my. I mounted it with screws.... no change needed!
November 12, 2014 08:06AM
mirkov
x zoombiepantslol: yes, that one! I'll give it a try, thanks

That's also the one I am using. I am very pleased with it despite the fact that I messed it up before I used it! What happened was that I decided to give it a quick wipe-down before using it the first time to remove any greasy fingerprints etc. So I did the same as I did with the glass plate, and gave it a wipe with an acetone soaked paper towel. That's when I discovered that the coating used on the plate is soluble in acetone. My only remedy at that point was to remove the coating completely (it wiped off easily with acetone), and I then coated the plate with my usual ABS/acetone slurry, applied from a repurposed cleaner spray bottle. It worked very well, and unlike the glass plate, the slurry I applied did not come off with the print and so I did no longer need to re-apply the coating after every print. I usually only need to wipe with acetone every 5 or 6 prints, and perform a complete re-coat every 20 prints or more. The parts adhere to the aluminium better than they did to the glass so I get fewer failures due to warping, and I am not so apprehensive about the handling of the plate when a bit of force is needed to get a print off the bed. I have so far only used it to print in ABS, and so I cannot comment on its suitability for other materials.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 08:06AM by dmould.
November 12, 2014 09:21AM
zombiepantslol
Do you mean this one? [www.ebay.de]

This is the one I use, and I can only recommend it. Works like a charm, pla sticks like glue.

The only "problem" is when I add to much brim (3 lines) then even after the plate goes cold, I need presure to remove the object from the plate. But other than that - value purchase!
November 12, 2014 03:05PM
I don't understand German is there and English ebay link?
November 13, 2014 12:44AM
What temperature do they need and do they need brim or raft?

I have taken a carbon fiber plate ..... But right now it does not work with pla at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 02:25AM by Fpex.
November 13, 2014 08:37AM
Jon Steward
I don't understand German is there and English ebay link?

If you go to ebay.co.uk and put a word or two of the German description into the search bar, it usually brings up the product. After doing so I got to the following URL:
[www.ebay.co.uk]

Use Google Translate for descriptions & instructions that are only available in another language - it's not perfect but is usually good enough to give you the information you need.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 08:39AM by dmould.
November 13, 2014 02:27PM
Thanks Dave

Is this what you use?
November 14, 2014 01:14AM
What are they and what temperature are needed for boh? And do they work without brim or kapton?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 01:58PM by Fpex.
November 14, 2014 01:15PM
Jon Steward
Thanks Dave

Is this what you use?

Yes that's the plate I am using currently.

Dave
November 15, 2014 02:57AM
dmould
Jon Steward
Thanks Dave

Is this what you use?

Yes that's the plate I am using currently.

Dave

Just bought one. I hope it works better than the Carbon fiber plate that so far has been a big failure.
November 15, 2014 08:30AM
Fpex
Just bought one. I hope it works better than the Carbon fiber plate that so far has been a big failure.

What problems are you having with the Carbon plate? It has been working well for me
cf bed upgrade
November 15, 2014 04:15PM
Pla does not stick. This plate is worse than naked glass,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2014 04:49PM by Fpex.
November 17, 2014 07:42AM
Fpex
Pla does not stick. This plate is worse than naked glass,

Note that I have never tried the plate with its original coating, because I messed up the coating by cleaning with acetone before I had used it even once, so I cannot say how well it will work. Instead, I stripped off the supplied coating completely and coated it with my usual ABS/acetone mix, which works far better than it does on glass because the coating stays on the plate rather than coming off on the print, so I seldom have to re-coat. . I expect a coat with a gluestick would also work.

For me, the biggest advantage is that it is completely flat (my glass was very slightly curved), and it will not break into sharp shards if I drop it, accidently hit it against something or handle it a bit roughly when removing parts. Parts also stick better to the coated plate than they did to similarly coated glass, which means that I can set my Z home position correctly. With glass I would always set it a bit low so that the first layer was firmly squashed onto the glass, which meant that the part had a slight brim at the base that needed filing off.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2014 07:42AM by dmould.
November 17, 2014 09:30AM
Ok thanks. I will try with the stick, if that does not work I will try with the mix,
How do you clean it actually?
November 17, 2014 12:26PM
Fpex
Ok thanks. I will try with the stick, if that does not work I will try with the mix,
How do you clean it actually?

I presently clean it when needed by wiping down with a paper towel soaked in acetone (which dissolves and re-distributes my ABS coating), and apply a bit more of my ABS solution if the coating has become patchy - but do not use acetone on the aluminium plate from the German vendor like I did, because it will dissolve its original coating which is advertised as needing no other preparation.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login