Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod two colors

Posted by Ormerod187 
Ormerod two colors
December 08, 2014 08:46PM
Hi brilliant community,
to celebrate my first year with Ormerod ...two colors!
the first printing:
[www.dropbox.com]
Still some details to fix...
Thanks dc42 [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]
easy to follow....

happy printing!

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
Re: Ormerod two colors
December 09, 2014 04:04AM
Dario, welcome to the 2-colour Ormerod club!

I updated the dual head conversion instructions recently to cover swapping the head 2 and bed thermistors over, as an alternative to modifying the boards. Thanks to Paul (appjaws1) for trying it out.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 09, 2014 05:12AM
dc42
Dario, welcome to the 2-colour Ormerod club!

I updated the dual head conversion instructions recently to cover swapping the head 2 and bed thermistors over, as an alternative to modifying the boards. Thanks to Paul (appjaws1) for trying it out.

I lost the last.. ops... sorry
The head 2 still flashing but the dual board works perfectly!
Home all..perfect! ..turn on, home all, print..
Flashing is a big problem?..

I have to improve the extruder offset ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2014 05:16AM by Ormerod187.
December 29, 2014 10:56AM
dc42

I've noticed that since changing the second head and bed thermistors, the main hot end fan is not switching off when the temperatures are cooling, in fact the fan comes on at switch on and remains on.
Any ideas?

Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
December 29, 2014 11:43AM
I would like to join this club of yours! Is the two color conversion the same for an Ormerod2? Is it best to first commission the original config and then upgrade it? I don't want to touch my original Ormerod1 yet, but I have a assembled Ormerod2 that is ready for wiring and commissioning. Having recently gotten used to changing the filaments with a pause command mid prints I am already addicted to the extra colors and so I'm ready to join the club for real!

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
December 29, 2014 12:15PM
Hi Kimon,
I don't have an ormerod 2 but I would imagine that the procedure to convert to 2 nozzle would be as described in dc42's documentation which I would highly recommend.

My machine's conversion is slightly different to dc42's in that I use the original width of heat sink, which I had made, I have also done away with the nozzle mount and have a nozzle mount incorporated into the x-carriage. So my x-carriage will take my 2 nozzle or nozzle hot end. This does throw out the bed size parameters somewhat when swapping one to two nozzle but I have not ever printed to the edge of the bed that I'm not too concerned, after all I could redefine if I wanted.

If I can be of any help just ask
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
December 29, 2014 01:23PM
My biggest difficulty was assembling..... and find the right offset in slic3r....
With the tests at this point..
[www.dropbox.com]
I'm quite happy with 2 color set!
Thanks David (dc42)! The 2 color board is working fine!
Set to zero with the paper is just a memory now. Thanks again!
Happy New Year to all.
Happy New Ormerod 3D making

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
December 29, 2014 05:16PM
appjaws1
I've noticed that since changing the second head and bed thermistors, the main hot end fan is not switching off when the temperatures are cooling, in fact the fan comes on at switch on and remains on.
Any ideas?

Paul

Have you tried swapping the 2 wires from the 2nd hot end thermistor where you connected them to the bed thermistor terminals? If you have them the wrong way round, the fan will run continously.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 29, 2014 05:28PM
Amsterdamman
I would like to join this club of yours! Is the two color conversion the same for an Ormerod2? Is it best to first commission the original config and then upgrade it? I don't want to touch my original Ormerod1 yet, but I have a assembled Ormerod2 that is ready for wiring and commissioning. Having recently gotten used to changing the filaments with a pause command mid prints I am already addicted to the extra colors and so I'm ready to join the club for real!

It's probably best to get it working with a single nozzle first, although I guess you could use your Ormerod 1 hot end on your Ormerod 2 if you want to use the O2 parts towards making a dual nozzle hot end.

RRP have said that they will release an official dual nozzle conversion soon. It apparantly includes a head levelling adjustment to make it easier to get the nozzles at the same height. Instead of the DueX4 expansion board, RRP will be supplying a shield board that plugs on to the top of the Duet to drive the extra extruder and hot end. I don't think I am giving anything away by mentioning this, because the plans for this board are already on github.

December 30, 2014 11:24AM
dc42
Have you tried swapping the 2 wires from the 2nd hot end thermistor where you connected them to the bed thermistor terminals? If you have them the wrong way round, the fan will run continously.

Thank you David, you did it again, good catch, that indeed solved the problem.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
December 30, 2014 07:16PM
Since I cant find a thread on the forums, forgive me for asking it here: is the Tri-color Mendel "as good" as the Ormerod? Seems if multiple colors is the goal, why not just get the tri-color Mendel?
Love the Ormerod and how it looks, but I would love a tri-color printer even more!

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
December 31, 2014 04:43AM
Amsterdamman
Since I cant find a thread on the forums, forgive me for asking it here: is the Tri-color Mendel "as good" as the Ormerod?

AFAIR, Ian said the Mendel was a pain to setup right, all those threaded rods to adjust, too may variables - not that I have any experience with it, just my eyes and hearsay

I did take a long look at the velleman vortex but chose to buy a used ormerod as nr. 2 printer (thanks Mario) - love the design, love the simplicity (ormerod1 esp.) - its not perfect, nothing is

Yes a multi color printer would be fun, but will have to earn it, there's still much to learn about 3d printing

Erik
December 31, 2014 05:01AM

Yes a multi color printer would be fun, but will have to earn it, there's still much to learn about 3d printing

Erik

I totally agree!
Dario
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login