Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware 0.96i

Posted by chrishamm 
New firmware 0.96i
December 10, 2014 06:28AM
In case anyone is interested, I've just released version 0.96i of my firmware fork on GitHub. This is a minor update and includes only a few bug fixes. Here the changelog of this version:

- The web inteface won't report a file is being printed when a single macro file is being executed (unless it's called from a real G-Code file of course)
- Cleaned up some parts of the networking code
- Minor change: debugPrintf does no longer allocate memory dynamically
- Bug fix: When a print is cancelled, the right (untransformed) coordinates will be set internally
- Bug fix: Fixed an issue where some moves were occasionally ignored by the Move class

You can download a precompiled binary here. The compatible web interface remains version 1.08.

I know RRP has already released version 0.99 on their dev branch, but most of their changes are related to 3-nozzle printing and I don't want to deal with this at the moment. I also noticed they introduced M571 and that they kind of abuse the cooling fan pin for their purposes, which is why I don't want to merge in their current implementation into my fork. I may have a look at a customized version sometime soon, though. Well, perhaps I don't need to deal with their web interface changes anyway, because I've been thinking of writing my own web interface, which should provide support for multiple tools (depending on the machine's setup), spool management and a better layout on mobile devices. I'll see when I get time for this, but it's definitely on my TODO list.

Oh, and I finally decided to get a Simplify3D license - it actually looks quite promising, but as I've been waiting for my new alu plate to arrive, I can't report anything in detail at the moment. At least their "Extruder ooze rate" feature looks great, with that option enabled I get much nicer surface finishes than with Slic3r or Cura. And of course their support feature is great, I hope this will make it much easier to print more complex parts.
Re: New firmware 0.96i
December 10, 2014 02:43PM
zombiepantslol
I know RRP has already released version 0.99 on their dev branch, but most of their changes are related to 3-nozzle printing and I don't want to deal with this at the moment. I also noticed they introduced M571 and that they kind of abuse the cooling fan pin for their purposes, which is why I don't want to merge in their current implementation into my fork. I may have a look at a customized version sometime soon, though. Well, perhaps I don't need to deal with their web interface changes anyway, because I've been thinking of writing my own web interface, which should provide support for multiple tools (depending on the machine's setup), spool management and a better layout on mobile devices. I'll see when I get time for this, but it's definitely on my TODO list.

Downloading now, I'll try the new firmware in the morning. Your own web interface sounds good especially if it will adjust to 1040X720 7 inch screen

zombiepantslol
Oh, and I finally decided to get a Simplify3D license - it actually looks quite promising, but as I've been waiting for my new alu plate to arrive, I can't report anything in detail at the moment. At least their "Extruder ooze rate" feature looks great, with that option enabled I get much nicer surface finishes than with Slic3r or Cura. And of course their support feature is great, I hope this will make it much easier to print more complex parts.

Well done, you will notice a difference.

Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
December 11, 2014 08:09AM
Working well, no problems to report

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
January 03, 2015 12:33PM
I've been running my printer for ages without problems on 0.78d-dc42 but today it just decided it didn't want to read the contents of the SD card any more. I reflashed the firmware and the problem went away (phew)... anyone else experienced this before?

I figured I may as well upgrade to a newer version while I've got the laptop connected so I've flashed 0.96i-zpl and updated the web interface files. All working nicely except the X-motor went the wrong way when I homed it, I then vaguely remembered reading something about this being the case so that all the motor connectors can be the same way round on the duet. Sorted now.

Seems to be printing nicely using all the same config files as I set up for 0.78d-dc42, but is there anything else I should be changing for this new version?

Cheers.
January 03, 2015 01:46PM
Is there any firmware supporting the duex4? Would love to run the e3d kraken in the ormerod!
January 03, 2015 06:09PM
Fpex
Is there any firmware supporting the duex4? Would love to run the e3d kraken in the ormerod!

All recent versions of the firmware (from RRP, me, and zpl) support the DueX4. Several of us are using the DuetX4 to support dual-nozzle print heads, see my blog entry at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for how I did it. AFAIK the RRP web interface still only supports 1 extruder. My version of the web interface supports 2 extruders, and AFAIK zpl's web interface still does too.

Be aware that there is a noise issue with reading thermistors via the DueX4. I modified my Duet and DueX4 to avoid this - see my blog entry for details. Another possibility is to swap the bed and #2 hot end thermistor connections over, as appjaws1 (Paul) has.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 03, 2015 06:28PM
Thanks. I am also checking the radds. Even if this means building a new printer instead of using the ormerod.
January 03, 2015 06:36PM
Be aware that if you use the RADDS+Arduino Due then you no longer get Ethernet or a web interface (the Arduino Due design very stupidly IMO does not make the Ethernet capability of the SAM3X8E processor available). IMO the only 3D printer control boards worth considering are the Duet (+X4 or the forthcoming RepRapPro shield if you need it) and the Smoothieboard. I have no experience of the Smoothie, but it appears to have acquired an Ethernet port and a web interface recently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2015 06:37PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 03, 2015 06:39PM
But I could use octoprint as I do for the mendel already.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login