Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod 2: Heated Bed

Posted by bjscuba135 
Ormerod 2: Heated Bed
February 05, 2015 06:55AM
Good morning,

The other night night I completed the assembly of my Ormerod 2 and started the commissioning process. everything appeared to be fine until I got to the "Heated Bed" section.
Unfortunately when I set the temp to 45C nothing appeared to happen, I re-red the instruction and nothing. I waited about 5 minutes but still nothing, am I just being impatient? or have to probably done something wrong?

Thing that I have tried:
Re read the assembly stages for: Heated bed assembly
Checked the PCB for damage
Checked the forums
Google
Re re read the assembly stages for: Heated bed assembly
Re re read the Commissioning process

But I cant seam to see anything that helps
Please help :-)
Ben
Re: Ormerod 2: Heated Bed
February 05, 2015 07:51AM
What temperature is Pronterface reporting the bed is at? If it is very low (e.g.-273 degrees) it means the bed thermistor is disconnected - probably a loose connection or bad crimp. If that temperature is approximately correct (it need not be accurate), then when you set a bed temperature 20 or so degrees higher than that, does the red LED on the bed heater PCB come on? If it does the bed should start heating - if the LED on the bed heater is on and the bed is not heating you have a defective heater. You should feel the bed getting warm within a minute or two of the LED coming on, and the bed temperature should be steadily rising in Pronterface. If the bed LED does not light, look at the LED marked "D6" on the Duet board and see whether that comes on when you command the bed to heat. If that LED comes on but not the bed LED, then check the wires to the bed are connected correctly and that you have 12 volts going to the Duet. If D6 on the Duet does not light, post again and we can go through a few more things.

Dave
February 05, 2015 09:31AM
Cheers Dave,

I'm reading 21-25 C on the bed (so room temperature) and I'm not getting a light on the front of the PCB.

Ill have a look at the Duet light and the voltage when i get home.

Thanks
Ben
February 05, 2015 02:50PM
check the heater bed power wire, use a multi meter on both end to see of current goes through the wires, i had one of the conections break off from the crimped fitting the end that attached to the heater board
February 05, 2015 05:45PM
Thank you both of you.

I now have it working, the wire had sheared off inside the crimped fitting, so from the end it looked like it was still connected.
February 07, 2015 05:15PM
I had the same problem. Im finding that the quality of the crimping is not great with the supplied cables in general.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login