Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z setting help

Posted by Igloo_it 
Z setting help
May 07, 2015 07:54PM
Hello I'm trying to set the z height but the nozzle stay always 10 mm from the bed, when I send a G31 the value is always 23 (21) no 600 like described in the documentation.
The firmware is 0,78 is there another better firmware? I have 4 printer to set up for my school, one is faulty due of the fact that the motor not turn at all, only bed and hot end warm up, I have to call RS to replace. Another printer have no socket on the board only pins and one of the cable have contact problem, very bad system for a printer sold from RS, strongly I got two printer with socket on the board and two with pins, mah!!!
If someone can help me I'll appreciate, thanks.
Re: Z setting help
May 08, 2015 03:13AM
Check that you have the proximity sensor correctly connected at both ends. The pin number on the expansion connector that it connects to was changed when the 0.78 firmware was released, so perhaps you are using the old wiring. Latest official firmware is 1.09.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 08, 2015 02:16PM
also check that the cable has correct order of wires(colors) ,mine was messed up and had to rearange at the probe plug ,but then i noticed it before i started the machine , i have no idea what would happen if i didnt notice but mybe would be like your problem
May 10, 2015 12:48PM
thanks for the replies. before than i pack everything and send back to RS i would like to understand something. If i bought something in kit, especially sold by RS, i think to find something that after the assembling it should work, on 4 printers 3 assembled only one work with problems. i trying to set up the home axis, the y work perfectly, the x and the z no. When i ask for x home the motor turn but stop before of the right position and when i try multiple time the motor turn over the end point. Any help will be higly apreciate, thanks.
May 10, 2015 01:54PM
Igloo_it
When i ask for x home the motor turn but stop before of the right position and when i try multiple time the motor turn over the end point. Any help will be higly apreciate, thanks.

It sounds to me that the proximity sensor is not working at all. Probably caused by faulty wiring between the proximity sensor and the Duet, but could also be caused by a faulty proximity sensor or faulty Duet. See [reprappro.com] and if necessary follow the link to the proximity sensor troubleshooting guide.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 10, 2015 01:58PM
it seems that i solved some problems, one question, why i have to compensate the bed manuallyand put the values in the bed.g file? it should make the compensation all the time before to start a new job, isn't it?
May 10, 2015 02:13PM
Igloo_it
it seems that i solved some problems, one question, why i have to compensate the bed manually and put the values in the bed.g file? it should make the compensation all the time before to start a new job, isn't it?

The bed.g file is normally used for automatic bed compensation. All you need to edit in it are the 3, 4 or 5 probe XY coordinates. If you want to use manual bed compensation, you can put the G30 corrections at the end of config.g instead.

To have the machine do bed compensation at the start of a print, put a G32 command in your slic3r start gcode - preferably after waiting for the hot end and bed to reach operating temperature..

May 10, 2015 02:58PM
dc42 thanks
May 10, 2015 03:32PM
i'm trying to set the bed compensation i set the 4 point but when i send the G31 an error pop up "Bed probing: there needs to be 3 or more points set." why thanks?

this is my bed.g

M561
G1 Z10 F200
G1 X45 Y0 F2000
G30 P0 Z-100000
G1 Z10 F200
G1 X45 Y170 F2000
G30 P1 Z-100000
G1 Z10 F200
G1 X215 Y170 F2000
G30 P2 Z-100000
G1 Z10 F200
G1 X215 Y10 F2000
G30 P3 S Z-100000
G4 P1500 ; Leave the probe there to give the web interface time to report the plane points
G1 Z10 F200
May 10, 2015 03:53PM
i found the problem the firmware version 0,78 the point must be inside of config.g , ok i have to understand something, i sent the G32 and it started to go around the bed the probe go down a little and start to go to the next point, it should go down close to the bed like when i send the home z or no? could someone explain with the 0,78 firmware how set the bed compensation procedure thanks.
May 10, 2015 05:07PM
Version 0.78 firmware is very old now. It's time for you to upgrade to something more recent.

May 11, 2015 03:03PM
dc42
Version 0.78 firmware is very old now. It's time for you to upgrade to something more recent.

HI dC42 I just uploaded the ver 1.09, now i tried to warm up the bed and hot end but only the bed work, for the hot end this message pop up no tool selected, with the ver 0,78 work normally,thanks
May 11, 2015 03:39PM
Igloo_it
dc42

HI dC42 I just uploaded the ver 1.09, now i tried to warm up the bed and hot end but only the bed work, for the hot end this message pop up no tool selected, with the ver 0,78 work normally,thanks

Assuming you updated your config.g file for version 1.09, you need to send T0 to select the head first. If you didn't update your config.g file, then it's probably T1 that you need.

May 11, 2015 03:54PM
dc42
Igloo_it
dc42

Assuming you updated your config.g file for version 1.09, you need to send T0 to select the head first. If you didn't update your config.g file, then it's probably T1 that you need.

i didn't update my config and i'm comparing the config downloaded with the 1.09 firmware and the one used and i din't find any difference. Could you axplain send T0 or i need T1 what you mean thanks
May 11, 2015 04:05PM
this is the actual config

M563 P0 D0 H1 ; Define tool 0

G10 P0 S-273 R-273 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures

;M563 P1 D1 H2 ; Define tool 1 Uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade

;G10 P1 X19 S-273 R-273 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures Uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade
May 11, 2015 04:14PM
Igloo_it

You are defining the hot end as tool 0 (the P parameter in the M563 and G10 commands), so you need to activate Tool 0. Here are some ways of doing it:

1. Send T0 via Pronterface, or via "Send Gcode" on the web interface.

2. Look at the "Heater 1" status on the web interface. It will show the status as Off. Click on it so that it changes to Active.

3. Putting a T0 command at the end of config.g may work (I haven't tried it with 1.09).

4. I recommend that you also include T0 near the start of your slic3r start gcode, to ensure that the head is selected when you start a print.

May 11, 2015 04:24PM
dc42
Igloo_it

You are defining the hot end as tool 0 (the P parameter in the M563 and G10 commands), so you need to activate Tool 0. Here are some ways of doing it:

1. Send T0 via Pronterface, or via "Send Gcode" on the web interface.

2. Look at the "Heater 1" status on the web interface. It will show the status as Off. Click on it so that it changes to Active.

3. Putting a T0 command at the end of config.g may work (I haven't tried it with 1.09).

4. I recommend that you also include T0 near the start of your slic3r start gcode, to ensure that the head is selected when you start a print.

i confirm just putting a T0 at the end of the config.g it work properly, now i go to the next, thanks
May 11, 2015 04:38PM
i just sent a job and i need an information, when the start the compensation the head go down to the bed like the Z home or stay a little away from the bed? thanks
May 11, 2015 04:46PM
also may i use repetier host if yes is there a configuration file for ormerod and also for the slice program? thanks
May 11, 2015 05:03PM
Igloo_it
i just sent a job and i need an information, when the start the compensation the head go down to the bed like the Z home or stay a little away from the bed? thanks

The probe doesn't go all the way down to the bed when probing for bed compensation. In fact, it doesn't need to go all the way down to the bed when homing either, but the standard files do send the head to Z=0 after the G30 command that does the actual homing.

I know nothing about repetier host. Most Ormerod users use the web interface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 05:03PM by dc42.

May 11, 2015 05:16PM
As far as I know, repeater host simply calls on slic3rs command line version to generate the gcodes, and then spoon feeds it to the printer. You'd be able to use the slic3r config files provided by RepRapPro, or whatever you've been using with slic3r. I don't know about any config files for repetier host specifically.... so you might have to create that yourself.

I think it would work, but if your computer had any issues (i.e. random crash, freeze, battery dies, etc) in the middle of your print, it'd stop and you'd basically have to start over.

It's much better to use the web interface, because then the printer is running the gcode from the SD memory; so if you had a computer issue the print would simply continue.

I might be wrong though, maybe you can set repetier host to upload to the SD card..... I've never used it for printing.
May 12, 2015 03:11PM
what i dislike abaut repetier host is: even if it uses slic3r for slicing it doesnt show layer changes on zombies webinterface. but using slic3r alone does, just easyer to see all information abaut the print.
May 12, 2015 05:09PM
Darathy
what i dislike abaut repetier host is: even if it uses slic3r for slicing it doesnt show layer changes on zombies webinterface. but using slic3r alone does, just easyer to see all information abaut the print.

Well, I know the web interface has a glitch right now where if the 1st layer height is 0.5mm it won't show layer changes right..... maybe repetier host is using 0.5mm for the first layer? That should be fixed in the next release.

Honestly, I don't see much point in repetier (For a Duet PCB system) other than 3D gcode previews outside of slic3r. But even then I've found that some free gcode simulators are better ways to preview the gcode anyways.
May 12, 2015 05:26PM
shadow651
Darathy

Well, I know the web interface has a glitch right now where if the 1st layer height is 0.5mm it won't show layer changes right..... maybe repetier host is using 0.5mm for the first layer? That should be fixed in the next release.

Honestly, I don't see much point in repetier (For a Duet PCB system) other than 3D gcode previews outside of slic3r. But even then I've found that some free gcode simulators are better ways to preview the gcode anyways.

I dont know ,but i thought it used slic3r settings for layer hight? ,i have first layer hight set to 100% of the rest and have never printed above 0.3mm layer hight.

But slic3r 1.2.6 has preview aswell now so i use it mostly ,still miss estimate print time on it tho sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 05:27PM by Darathy.
May 14, 2015 02:34PM
yesterday finally i set up the first printer, today i tried a new job and the hot end not warm up, any idea on where i have to check? the bed work ok, thanks
May 14, 2015 03:44PM
Igloo_it
yesterday finally i set up the first printer, today i tried a new job and the hot end not warm up, any idea on where i have to check? the bed work ok, thanks

1. Have you sent a T0 command to enable the hot end?

2. Does the LED near the hot end connector light up when you tell then hot end to heat up?

3. If yes to (2), check the 6-pin hot end connector. IMO it's not a very good connector (assuming RRP hasn't changed it since my Ormerod 1 kit). It's quite easy to fail to push the pins fully home into the shells. Another possibility is poor crimp connections on the pins.

May 14, 2015 03:49PM
Darathy
shadow651
Darathy

I dont know ,but i thought it used slic3r settings for layer hight? ,i have first layer hight set to 100% of the rest and have never printed above 0.3mm layer hight.

But slic3r 1.2.6 has preview aswell now so i use it mostly ,still miss estimate print time on it tho sad smiley

And Cura is not even working, all i get is just moves withought any extrusion(temp stays at 0 and extruder doesnt move) i have tried editing start code but with no change ,seems its generating wrong code (M109 instead of M104).
May 14, 2015 03:55PM
Darathy
And Cura is not even working, all i get is just moves withought any extrusion(temp stays at 0 and extruder doesnt move) i have tried editing start code but with no change

That means you don't have the hot end tool selected. Add T0 to your start gcode (assuming you are using the new tool numbering, i.e. the head is tool 0). This mistake is made by so many users since RRP changed the default to "no tool selected" that I'm considering modifying my firmware fork such that if there is only one hot end, it is selected by default.

Darathy
...seems its generating wrong code (M109 instead of M104).

Doesn't matter, unless you are using a very old release of RRP firmware then both gcodes are recognised.

May 14, 2015 04:00PM
i do have T0 in the start code ,i tried to match most with my Slic3r settings ,dont get me wrong i like slic3r but would like to see how Cura works(i hear it does better job at supports).
Edit: i think i figured it out ,Cura sets temperatures before the start code ,so temperatures are before my T0 ,so the printer does not heat print like it should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 01:34PM by Darathy.
May 15, 2015 02:25PM
dc42
Igloo_it

1. Have you sent a T0 command to enable the hot end?

2. Does the LED near the hot end connector light up when you tell then hot end to heat up?

3. If yes to (2), check the 6-pin hot end connector. IMO it's not a very good connector (assuming RRP hasn't changed it since my Ormerod 1 kit). It's quite easy to fail to push the pins fully home into the shells. Another possibility is poor crimp connections on the pins.

1 i sent the t0 and I have also in the config.g, when I switch on the hot end just the message pop up no error like no tool selected
2 the led not light
3 I just replaced the board with another one and it work mah!!!

I used the repetier in the past with another printer and I can say that it's much better than the combination of slic3r + prontface. The first big difference is that I can move and rotate as I want with repetier
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login