Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod 2 Heatbed stopped heating while printing

Posted by PIDE 
Ormerod 2 Heatbed stopped heating while printing
June 17, 2015 05:04AM
Hello together,

i printed several parts with the Ormerod 2. Everything worked fine. Then i printed a part overnight (17 h) The heatbed stopped heating apr. 2 h before the print was finished. I thougt this is correct (the part was already 10 cm high so why still heating. thats what i thougt) But now, when i want to start a new print the heatbed is not heating any more. The LED at the heatbed does not react. but the LED at the Duet beside the cableconnection is on (see foto).
Any suggestions what happened and how to solve the problem?

Thanks
Peer
Attachments:
open | download - Ormerod 2 duet.jpg (499.7 KB)
Re: Ormerod 2 Heatbed stopped heating while printing
June 17, 2015 05:20AM
Depending on how old your Ormerod 2 is, the connections from the cable to the heated bed may give problems. I suggest you check them for signs of poor contact or overheating.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 17, 2015 08:51AM
Thank you very much.
That solved the problem. I polished the connection and it works again. Obviously it was overheated at this point and oxidised.
How can i prevent this? Do i need different hardware?
Attachments:
open | download - cableconnection oxid.jpg (379.8 KB)
open | download - cableconnection polished.jpg (403 KB)
June 17, 2015 10:16AM
PIDE
Thank you very much.
That solved the problem. I polished the connection and it works again. Obviously it was overheated at this point and oxidised.
How can i prevent this? Do i need different hardware?

I don't have an Ormerod 2, but if I did then I would be tempted to replace the steel screw, nut and washer by brass ones if you can get them, with a spring washer between the PCB and the tag. Or put the solder tag on the top side of the PCB so that it is in direct contact with the PCB trace, using a countersunk screw if necessary to clear the glass. Or possibly solder the tag directly to the heated bed (this would need a fairly hefty soldering iron). RepRapPro support may be able to offer some advice as this is a common problem.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 17, 2015 12:25PM
The newer Ormerod 2 has a different improved version of the heatbed connections.
You might be able to have RRP give you the newer bed under warranty... I know quite a few people have had the older connection style you have start on fire and or melt the heaterr pcb at the connections
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login