Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Did anyone tested (printed) linear sliding bearings?

Posted by Treito 
Did anyone tested (printed) linear sliding bearings?
June 21, 2015 02:44PM
Hello,

as I collected material for my coming Ormerod I nearly bought linear sliding bearings but they was too expensive. Later I found some on thingiverse. I made different tests with different types and I found one that really astonished me. It works great with an steel rod and the comments on this type of bearings are telling the rest. It seems to be much quieter and easier to slide than ball based bearings if you follow some rules. maybe the first "contact" is a little bit hard and you have to move them sometimes. Some silicon spray could really help. So I will soon run some praxis tests. I am printing one set for my Ormerod 1 right now.
Does anyone tested this kind of bearings yet?

Regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: Did anyone tested (printed) linear sliding bearings?
July 08, 2015 03:45AM
This bearings works great - as long as you use them for horizontal axis like the x and y axis. For the z axis I reverted to the original bearings but the other 5 I really like them. They are much quieter. Only at the beginning there are some little problems and they may have too much force. You need then to use Silicon spray and the more you use them the better they get work. I am really satisfied as the loudest bearings could be replaced.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
July 08, 2015 07:06AM
taken somewhere in Thingi......

Regards
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
Attachments:
open | download - linear_bearing_12.stl (70.6 KB)
July 08, 2015 12:07PM
Yes, me too but I tested some designs and I found also some fully configurable so I was able to print a replace for the LM12LUU of the x-carriage and that one is really quiet. But as I tested some designs before installing them I was curious which design did it for you as I had more than one favorite and maybe I will check other designs as my design does not work good regarding the z-axis.

July 08, 2015 02:35PM
BTW, you can get the suitable filament and stl-files from igus

Erik
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login