Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3MF

Posted by Ababuy 
3MF
July 16, 2015 01:37PM
Hello,

Will anyone develop compatibility for 3MF for the Ormerod?

It is open-source.

[www.3mf.io]
Re: 3MF
July 17, 2015 07:33AM
That describes a file format for representing a 3D object - IOW an alternative for the STL file format that is commonly used at present. As such it is not relevant for any current 3D printers I know of, which require pre-processing of the model file in a slicing application to produce raw mechanical moves (G-code files). I suppose it would be possible to combine the operation in a printer controller so that the printer incorporates a slicer program and is fed a 3D image file, but I am not sure that would be better than slicing separately - slicing parameters need to be tweaked to suit the object being printed and is best done on something with good graphic display abilities such as a PC.

Any queries relating to support of that format should therefore be directed at the people writing the 3D CAD programs and the slicing programs rather than a printer forum.

I will agree that there is a need to change to a file format that is better than STL. The STL format, which describes objects as a mesh of a huge number of 2D triangles, has several limitations, the main one AFAICS being that it cannot represent a curved line properly, but must approximate by representing a curve as a large number of short straight lines. This makes it difficult for a slicing program to apply the necessary corrections for curved extrusions (and is one reason why holes are printed undersize). It is also not possible to deconstruct an STL into its component 3D shapes, making editing of objects difficult. There are already several better alternatives to STL, but I think the better ones are proprietary and so a new open source standard would be good. I am however not convinced that XML encapsulation is either necessary or desirable. I'll await the development with interest - the adoption is likely to be driven mainly by CAD programs, and as soon as enough CAD applications offer output in 3MF format, I'm sure the slicer producers will incorporate it.

Dave
Re: 3MF
July 27, 2015 12:06PM
I'm a bit cynical about anything "overhauled" by the great MS.

New to 3D printing; long experience making things of metal the 19th century way. Slowly trying to get into the 21st century.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login