Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connecting hotend correctly

Posted by cpbee 
Connecting hotend correctly
August 19, 2015 10:02AM
Dear all,

this might be a trivial question. I want to connect my new "Chinese" hotend to my Ormerod 2 (Duet V0.6). My currently installed original heater cartridge cable is "splitted" into 2 V+ and 2 GND cables that connect to 2 pins on the duet, respectively.

My question: Do I need to "split" also the cables for the new heating cartdrige (12V 40W) or can I only use "one" connector pin on the Duet (I think this is manly for V+).

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Chris.
Re: Connecting hotend correctly
August 19, 2015 10:10AM
It's best to split them, otherwise you may be putting more current through each pin that it is designed for, depending on exactly what type of connector is fitted to the board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 19, 2015 04:25PM
The socket of the board is designed for only 3 Amps so you should split it.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
August 20, 2015 01:21AM
Thanks a lot. Will do so.

They are connected with the KF2510 connectors (and corresponding pins on the board). Any suggestions on the wire gauge when splitting?

Best,
Chris.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login