Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange Extruder motor function.

Posted by jsv555 
Strange Extruder motor function.
February 25, 2016 12:20PM
Firstly hello again to everyone, I've not been on here for a while and I'm a bit rusty on how everything works.

About a year ago I was near rebuilding my Ormerod 2 and had replaced the Duet with a 0.6 board having accidentally destroyed the first Duet.

I'd recommissioned everything and it all appeared to be working fine. I was then taken ill and had to sideline everything for the last year.

I've just started to get the printer up and running and again it all seems to be working fine until I try to print anything. The extruder motor just sits and judders, but seems to retract ok.

Also having just tried to load some filament, via the web interface, clicking the "load filament" button initially works ok The filament starts to load, then it starts to retract (about the amount it has loaded) and then the motor just sits and judders for a while.

The "Extrude" button on the web interface sometimes extrudes and sometimes retracts.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated because I am at a loss on this one. Apologies if anyone else has already covered similar issues elsewhere. My eyesight is a bit messed up and it was just easier for me to start a new topic than read through loads of results.

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Re: Strange Extruder motor function.
February 25, 2016 03:40PM
Three likely possibilities:

1. Bad connection in the cable connecting the Duet to the extruder motor.

2. Open circuit extruder motor winding.

3. Failed extruder stepper driver chip on the Duet, possibly caused by (1).

So the first thing that I suggest you do is to check the cables and the motor with a multimeter.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Strange Extruder motor function.
April 06, 2016 08:38AM
Thanks dc42, sorry for slow response. As far as I can tell it is the stepper driver. Not sure why it has failed, motors and wiring all appear fine. I was going to change the board for a 0.8.5 anyway (want to run a second extruder and this seemed a neat solution). Thanks again
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login