Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot end not getting hot

Posted by b-irwin 
Hot end not getting hot
June 24, 2020 05:43PM
I have just upgraded my Ormerod 1 X axis, which included swapping out a new hotend cartridge. I have made all of the connections exactly as before, but now the hot end won't heat up. I have checked the thermistor and it doesn't seem like that is the issue. I have also checked the wiring and can't see an issue with that. I don't know if it is a dud heater cartridge but I also don't know how to check.

One thing that might be is that the new one is slightly different to the old one. The old one had red wires and the new one has orange wires(not sure if that helps). Is there a difference between the old and the new heater cartridge which might prevent the new one working?
Re: Hot end not getting hot
June 24, 2020 06:46PM
Could you try reconnecting the old one temporarily just to eliminate the cartridge?
June 24, 2020 07:22PM
Unfortunatly not, I had to rewire the loom to add a second fan. They are not in the same configuration now.
June 28, 2020 06:14PM
I just tested the heater cartridge and it had a resistance of 5.7 Ohms which I think is correct but when I connected the rest of the wiring loom and measure the resistance across the ends of the wiring loom I get 50 ohms. Each wire does split into two into the board (I assume this is for the current draw) but I expected this to have the same current.
June 29, 2020 08:55AM
b-irwin
I just tested the heater cartridge and it had a resistance of 5.7 Ohms which I think is correct but when I connected the rest of the wiring loom and measure the resistance across the ends of the wiring loom I get 50 ohms.

When I measure my heater cartridge at the end of the wiring at the controller I get ~ 5.7 ohms. I would guess that you may have a wiring problem.

As 12v over 50 ohms = 2.88 watts and you most likely have a 40 watt heater which is 12V over 5.7 ohms = 52.36 watts

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
June 29, 2020 04:27PM
I think I have fixed the issue now. It looks like it was a loose connector between the hotend assembly and the rest of the wiring loom. Just did a test print with no more issues. hopefully it is gone for good and is not an intermittent problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login