Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed levelling glass build surface only?

Posted by markab 
Bed levelling glass build surface only?
December 13, 2013 06:54AM
Hello,

I prefer to use carbon fibre rather than glass for my build plate because PLA adheres better and releases more easily. I notice that the auto levelling requires foil to be placed under a glass build plate so that the IR sensor can range from it. Is this the only possible configuration? I would like to try using the IR sensor levelling but with a carbon fibre plate so what options do I have?

Thanks
Re: Bed levelling glass build surface only?
December 13, 2013 07:03AM
The foil is ON TOP of the glass, in the corners, but under Kapton. You could probably put it straight on top of the carbon fibre surface, you would just have to be carful that you don't print over it.
We tried carbon fibre build plate a while ago, but didn't like the rough surface finish. Or the price!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Re: Bed levelling glass build surface only?
December 16, 2013 11:10AM
OK thanks for the info on the levelling.

As for the carbon fibre, I'm not sure how you would even print on a "rough" surface, it leaves a very very slight texture (which for me is a preference) given that the finish of most reprap parts differs dependant on the surface being bottom, top or side I don't think it really matters.

All I know is I don't have to use any tapes, glues or sprays, first layer adhesion is I would say 98% successful, I have never had a print release from the bed mid print on carbon fibre and it releases far more easier and far more cleanly that glass or tape etc, all I have to do is lower the bed temp by 20deg and the part releases within a couple of minutes.

Over the last year I probably went through 3 or 4 glass plates, normally because they got chipped or scratched through parts not releasing or mechanical issues with the printer or just generally getting knocked around, so the cost of 3 or 4 bits of glass cut and edged at my local glass shop is about the same as a bit of carbon fibre that I expect to last many times longer.

If 3D printers want to become mainstream consumer devices that are plug and play then we need better reusable build solutions than glass with tape or hairspray.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login