Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repositioning the Z axis on the X axis bed.

Posted by Rory166 
Repositioning the Z axis on the X axis bed.
December 21, 2013 05:47AM
As I have struggled in the past to work from a computer screen I printed a set of assembly instructions on or about 15th Dec 2013. These have proved inadequate since it is necessary to blow up the pictures to see what needs to be done. The printed list was however valuable for my assistant to select the parts for the next step of the assembly.

Iamgine our surprise therfore when I was measuring 120mm from the end of the bed to position the Z axis and Tom had a different figure. Clearly between the 16th and 20th there has been a change.

Does this mean earlier builds should be altered?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2013 05:47AM by Rory166.
Re: Repositioning the Z axis on the X axis bed.
December 21, 2013 07:26AM
I came across this too. The instructions originally said 205mm/125mm and that is what I used. When I came to commission the unit, I found that the hot end fan did not clear the main electronics box when the carriage was lowered, even with the electronics box positioned as close to the Y motor as possible. Part of the problem is that the fan supplied to me does not have the recesses for the screws shown in the photo, so the caps protrude. I had to reposition the Z-axis base using to get it to clear, and ended up with 211mm/119mm. The instructions now say 210mm/120mm. So earlier builds do need to be altered, at least if they have the same type of fan.
December 21, 2013 07:45AM
Hi Rory166

The instructions have changed substantially over time, and are continuing to evolve. We do plan to do a pdf version for printing, but only when the instructions are more stable, and I advise people to use the online version for this reason. The layout we chose for the instructions was designed to present the instructions clearly, to reduce clutter on-screen, and make steps have a small, bite-size piece of text for each picture, rather than a wall of descriptive text (which, unfortunately, some pages still exhibit). We intend to add videos and animations of the CAD assemblies. The pictures can all be clicked on to get a larger version, but I appreciate this doesn't work on paper!

We moved the Z axis on the Y axis 5mm because customers reported that the hot end fan hit the electronics housing. This is an example of customer feedback effecting instructions, and is an ongoing process at the moment. If you don't have this problem, there's no great need to move the Z axis.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
December 21, 2013 10:10AM
Thanks Ian.

I apreciate how busy you must be at present. Keep up the good work and try to have a merry christmas.

Rory
December 21, 2013 05:17PM
I had this fan housing clash issue, but did not want to move the Z axis and as Ian says 'you don't have to'.

I have mounted the electronics housing by the two (close) mounting T nuts, which holds it nicely and positioned it so that the housing sits behind the stepper motor.
December 21, 2013 07:05PM
I agree, moving the Z axis and setting it up at a right angle is a pain. However, another benefit for me of moving it was that the print head range is now exactly from one end of the glass plate to the other.
December 21, 2013 08:20PM
If you think the Ormerod alignment instructions are a pain, see: [www.reprappro.com]
Of course, you have to get all the pairs of parallel rods co-linear and no axis compensation... we spoil you!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login