Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D printing SD card and file options

Posted by Treth 
3D printing SD card and file options
December 22, 2013 03:55AM
I have managed in the past to print the snowman from the SD card and a 'minion' character from a file on the web.

I have gone through several process steps such as levelling the print platter, changed the DUET board, re flashing firmware, installing the correct Pronterface version etc., and now have an unusual problem that I cannot print the snowman from the SD card.

................................................... Start of G codes commands etc.,...........................................
serial: M20
Begin file list
circle.g
coathook.g
duettest.g
ormaxis.g
snowman.g
square.g
MINION~1.GCO
SETBED~1.TXT
End file list
serial: M23 setbed~1.txt setbed file, needs renaming to correct format (as does minion)
File opened
File selected
Print Started at: 08:15:31
serial: M24 setbed file appears correct
file: G30 P0 X60 Y20 Z0.0
file: G30 P1 X60 Y180 Z-0.6
file: G30 P2 X180 Y180 Z-1.0
file: G30 P3 X180 Y20 Z0.0 S
serial: M21
serial: M23 snowman.g tried by SDprint on interface and direct M23 code
File opened
File selected
Print Started at: 08:15:46
Print Started at: 08:15:46
serial: M24
serial: M21 Nothing happening! No 'print' button appears.
serial: M20
Begin file list
circle.g
coathook.g
duettest.g
ormaxis.g
snowman.g
square.g
MINION~1.GCO needs renaming, added to test difference in print quality SD vs USB
SETBED~1.TXT
End file list
>>>M23 snowman.g try direct command
SENDING:M23 snowman.g
serial: M23 snowman.g
File opened
File selected
Print Started at: 08:17:19
serial: M24 Nothing happening!

Loaded from file Minion print, clicked "Print" button (which appears via file route) and it starts printing.

0 mm of filament used in this print

the print goes from 78.105000 mm to 121.885000 mm in X
and is 43.780000 mm wide

the print goes from 73.267000 mm to 126.777000 mm in Y
and is 53.510000 mm wide

the print goes from 0.000000 mm to 12.240000 mm in Z
and is 12.240000 mm high

Estimated duration (pessimistic): 51 layers, 0:23:02
................................................... End of commands ............................................................

So in summary I can no longer print from SD card, 'Print' button does not appear, printing from file is OK.

Other observations M27 is reported as an invalid command
Clicked on 'Pause' print and button changed to 'Resume', but it has been printing the whole time I have been typing this!
Re: 3D printing SD card and file options
December 23, 2013 07:28AM
This is still not resolved and is now also in [forums.reprap.org] experienced by dc42.
Also the "Pause" issue is experienced by daveM [forums.reprap.org]
December 23, 2013 12:50PM
Hi

l have the same problem as above when l have tried printing from the SD card.

Dave M
December 23, 2013 02:46PM
I have so far almost exclusively printed from the SD card essentially because the prints are a lot nicer than when I drive the printer from Pronterface (for any given file).
On SD card it prints more slowly for some reason and I get amazing results.

I have the occasional glitch when printing from SD similar to what you have experienced - ie. launch SD Print and it sits there doing nothing - but unfortunatly it doesn't happen often enough to accurately understand the problem. This usually happens when the printer is not quite ready (bed or nozzle too cold - printer positioned quite far from home). It also happens if for some reason I've had to pause and restart a print. Another reason for it to happen is when I have been printing on SD then reconnected USB to load a new file without resetting printer. When I've had problems I turn everything off, unplug usb and quit Pronterface before restarting;

What I try to do now is to heat everything manually (if temperature not already OK) and home manually before each print. That way the print it ready to go and SD Print starts without delay.

On the subject of SD ptinting I have found it difficult to disconnect computer once SD print is started. If I use the disconnect button the printer stops.
What I now do is the following:

1) I pull the usb cable from my computer, the print pauses after a few seconds,
2) I replug USB into computer then,
3) I pull USB cable one last time and printer continues on SD.

I have also noticed that uploading files is pretty slow, one file I have uploaded (20Mcool smiley took nearly an hour to load. This print is expected to take 1 day and 6hrs but unfortunately I have now broken SMT micro USB socket so can't print it.

I have printed approximately 15-20 individual parts (since last Wednesday) the majority on SD, including one that took between 11 and 12 hours to print.

Hope this helps,
Arnaud
December 23, 2013 03:56PM
Hi

When you print do you always start with the axis in the home position?

Dave M
December 23, 2013 04:20PM
I normally do, although I have printed several parts in a raw leaving the printed where it was left from the previous print and it found its way to the start on its own for the next one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login