Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod print quality

Posted by markbee 
Ormerod print quality
December 22, 2013 05:45PM
After building Ormerod #004 and a considerable amount of troubleshooting (many thanks to Ian and rayhicks), fine-tuning and finally printing stuff I now start to replicate the Ormerod which will be #004a winking smiley

So just some pictures (showing z-gears and the precision of the 623-bearing hole in the z-driven-gear: I did no post-print editing of the printed parts. Filament is PLA transparent.)

Markus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2013 05:58PM by markbee.

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
Re: Ormerod print quality
December 23, 2013 03:59AM
@Markus, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to being at that point!
I intend to make #007a parts in black (That would not have been a good choice for the build photos!), not as a second printer, but as a bit of customising (wit a few design mods on the way).

I also found this three part article which shows some good investigation on parameters affecting printing.
[richrap.blogspot.it]
December 23, 2013 04:00AM
Treth,

thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for right now winking smiley

Markus

December 23, 2013 05:05AM
@Markbee - nice looking parts. I was dreading the content of this thread, when I saw the title!

There's also the Slic3r manual: [manual.slic3r.org]
Richrap's blog is really good, but the version of Slic3r he describes there is quite old now.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
December 23, 2013 05:15AM
Hi Ian,

thanks for the link! Don't worry - even my negative posts are at least somehow positive winking smiley

The printed parts above are obviously .24mm - I should have mentioned that. Looks like one now has to dig deeper into the slic3r software and printer settings to get .12mm right. I tried .12mm with the default settings but got angular/ askew in the z-axis. Ray suggested slowing down the speed - but tbh - there are a lot of settings in slic3r and I think I'm not yet sure what values to adjust (it might be obvious but I'm too noob). Just getting into layers, STL and so on.
I wanted to print the extruder gears, but they are only in .dxf - are there any .stl files available, or can I use .dxf with slic3r?

Reading the blog and manual might be a good start - I will report when I find other useful links for slic3r-beginners.

Markus

December 23, 2013 05:43AM
Ah, yes, the extruder components are missing from the stl directory. They were there, a few days ago, and I don't think they are being updated. They are in the solidworks directory, and they are in the 'history' of the stl directory here: [github.com]
They were removed with the next commit 'stl files regenerated' on the 12/12/13. Probably just an oversight!

From the above link, you want:
extruder-drive-block.STL
large-gear.STL
small-gear.STL
tongue.stl

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login