Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod MXL Belt Tooth count?

Posted by mitchamurao 
Ormerod MXL Belt Tooth count?
December 25, 2013 09:19PM
Hello all!

I'm Mitch from the Philippines.

Would anyone happen to know, the specs of the MXL belt used on the Ormerod? I know the belt is: black rubber MXL belt, 1/4" (6.35mm) wide, 1.7m long, but the local supplier says that's not enough. He needs to know: "how many teeth".

Any light would be helpful since the Reprappro Factory is closed for the holidays. :-)

Thank you in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2013 09:19PM by mitchamurao.
Re: Ormerod MXL Belt Tooth count?
December 26, 2013 02:12AM
Hello Mitch

The teeth count on a 2 inch distance of belt is 26 (and 25 "in betweens")...or to put it in another way, the measured distance between tooth 1 and tooth 26 is 2 inch
I would call it 12½ teeth per Inch

Erik
December 26, 2013 07:15AM
Hi Mitch

I saw your email, and was going to reply last Monday, when my internet connection died - a tree fell on it!

MXL belt has a 2.032mm tooth pitch, or 0.080". So 710mm (for the x axis) is 710 / 2.032 = 349.4 teeth
The minimum length for the y axis belt is about 860mm / 2.032 = 423.2 teeth

So if you can find a 350 and 425 tooth belt, that would work. The reason they are asking you 'how many teeth' is because they sell closed-loop belt; that is, the belt is a continuous loop, and is defined by how many teeth it has. We send out belt as an open length; that is, it's cut from a big reel of belt and the ends do not join, which is why we measure it in millimetres.

If you can't find belt this long, you may be able to use two shorter belts, by joining them together, teeth interlocking. Cable ties work well for this. Because they will overlap, get belts that are slightly longer than half of what is suggest above. The join will have to be half-way, and will have to be quite low-profile to get through the hole in the Y carriage. You won't need to add a twist to the belt, either. see nophead's blog [www.hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk]

I hope that helps.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
December 26, 2013 07:57AM
Hi Ian!

Glad to know you've your connection back. Maybe Santa parked his reindeer too close to your house. ;-)

Thanks for the information. I pray this local guy has this in stock so I can start my Reprap adventures.

The best of the holidays to all!

smileys with beer
December 26, 2013 04:33PM
Mitch

Just to be clear the toothed belt should be in the bag marked Hardware set 1 of 5. It is with PTFE Tube, Tie wraps and Kapton tape. Because it is wound tight to a similar diameter as the Kapton tape I found it ivisible initially until my assistant said look here it is.

Rory
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login