Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unreliable Duet web server...

Posted by gregstah 
Unreliable Duet web server...
December 30, 2013 07:53AM
I'm having problems connecting to the RepRap web server, most of the time it doesn't connect and I get a page not found error. If it does connect it seems to ignore the password.

So far I've had only one successful connection which allowed me to set the axis compensation as described in the documentation but now I'd like to re do it better than I did it before and of course I can't connect...

Any ideas on how I can make this more reliable? Could this have something to do with those first 220 boards mentioned?

Ormerod: Duet board.

Things I've done:

Manually set ip within range
Pinged ip successfully

Thank you.

Greg.
Re: Unreliable Duet web server...
December 30, 2013 08:00AM
Hi Greg,

From my experience, here are some issues that may affect you:

- first 220 boards need to get 5V power from USB due to a manufacturing fault
- once you connect via Pronterface, it appears that you can no longer connect via Ethernet without powering down or resetting
- if you are using the SD card supplied with the kit, it may not process the config.g file and therefore your IP address setting may not take effect

I find the best way to connect over Ethernet is to power up or reset the board, wait 5 to 10 seconds, then try to connect. If like me you often have your caps lock key on for sending G codes via serial or Pronterface, don't forget to turn it off before entering the password.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 08:03AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 30, 2013 08:21AM
Gregstah

If you're not getting the password screen, your Duet isn't reading the SD card correctly. Either try a different SD card (we have had problems with ours), or update to the latest firmware, which fixes at least some of the SD card reading problems.

Official statement if you have one of the first 220 boards: [forums.reprap.org]

Also, see the "IMPORTANT: note about USB 5V power" at the beginning of the commissioning instructions. Power the board from the ATX PSU by putting a jumper on the JP9 (5V_EN) pins.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
December 30, 2013 12:47PM
I'm sure there's an additional issue outside those already known - I've switched SD card to one that Duet can happily read yet every time I connect to the web interface it's sheer luck if I can get the password to be accepted. Just to recap:

(1) I power-up Duet with the network connected (no USB connection)
(2) After waiting 10 Seconds I load from the static IP assigned to the Duet
(3) The control page always loads straight away and holds for a second before clearing to the password login page
(4) I enter the password and click submit
(5) I toss a coin, it's just as likely to come up heads as it is for the control page to reappear.

Actually, it's far more likely to fail at the password rather than succeed. I've gotten used to my computer chair back and forth between the reset button and the computer.

Knowing that the SD card is vital for a successful login, after it's failed I've used the serial monitor to enter a M503 and this duly echoes back the content of the config file so as far as I can see this means the SD card is working OK.

So with the card being read OK, and the network having a working connection (i.e. being confronted by the password page) nothing mentioned already would account for the Duet ignoring the password.

Once I get lucky at (5) there's no more issues with the web interface (other than the unexpectedly long timeout you have to allow for after homing an axis and entering another command) so It definitely seems like something specifically finicky with the actual submission of the password.

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
December 30, 2013 02:20PM
I've just found something interesting. I was having very little problem connecting my laptop to the Ormerod via Ethernet, once I bridged the wired and wireless ports. But now I have moved the Ormerod to be next to my admin computer, so I connected it to my 8-port gigabit switch instead. From my admin computer, I find that I can get the control page and then the password page to come up, but in trying about 30 times, it only accepted the password once.

So I reconnected it to the laptop, and it worked again.

I then connected the Ormerod back to the gigabit switch and tried to access it from the laptop. Same problem, I could get the password page but it wouldn't respond to the password.

So I think something in the Duet network system (hardware or firmware) is flakey. I was using the same Ethernet cable all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 02:20PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 30, 2013 05:05PM
Yep, that sounds exactly like what I'm getting. I have my Ormorod connected to my broadband router which aslo connects by wire to my PC

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
December 30, 2013 07:26PM
I have exactly the same problem, works about 1 time in 4 but the initial screen to password works almost 100%

Chris
December 30, 2013 07:40PM
I just want to confirm that I have exactly the same problem with the Web Server, it's very unreliable - particularly in getting past the password prompt.
I down loaded and installed the latest firmware but with the same result.
ray
December 31, 2013 08:55AM
I too have the same problem with the unreliable webserver, being a web developer by profession i looked into it a little closer, below is some of my findings.

1. The ormerod webserver only servers one .htm file "reprap.html" all other files in the www directory are not used, the javascript/image/ico files are downloaded by your browser from github.com or reprappro.com every time you run the interface.
2. An live connection to the internet is required to view/use the ormerod's web interface. (I re-pointed this to my local webserver and my files other than reprap.html reside there)
3. All status data is received from the printer via sub urls so for example "http://192.168.1.4/rr_poll" returns printing status, temps, and xyz positions, in a JSON encoded text string.
4. gcodes can be sent to the printers web interface with a different sub url "http://192.168.1.14/rr_gcode?gcode=G1%20X0" (%20 being a url encoded space)
5. other sub urls are available e.g. /rr_password, /rr_axes, /rr_name
6. pronterface and the arduino serial monitor respond with "Network connection error." right before the Password entry box is displayed (this login attempt will fail).
7. the "Network connection error." message mentioned above is generated in "httpd.c" (line 96 to be exact) indicating a bug in the core network modules of the firmware.
8. there was initially coded in the web interface a facility to upload g files to the SD, this was commented out before release.

I found out lots of other stuff while poking around in the code, my conclusion being I can write my own interface hosted on my own webserver with the same (if not more) functionality, just by utilizing the sub urls like "/rr_poll" etc. I have made a start but i'm a long way from anything usable, preferring to spend my time printing 3D nik-naks!

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
January 01, 2014 08:36PM
I have exact the same issues using the web interface.
It is resetting, waiting, try to log in, after several tries you might be lucky to log in.
One of the selling points of the ormerod is the fact that it has a web interface. Well, there is a lot of development to do.
Why should a printer connect to the internet at startup if it runs its own webserver?
Is someone checking the use of the printer?
The web interface should also show the command log / printers reply of the commands send to it just like pronterface does. Otherwise you have no idea what is going on with it.
Password access should have enable or disable options and if enabled https access.
January 02, 2014 04:42AM
Hi Gampie

Technically the printer isn't actually connecting to the Internet, however the HTML page it serves to your browser (reprap.htm) contains code which needs to download some commonly used Javascript librarys from the Internet, its nothing to worry about but its worth knowing that if you don't have a constant internet connection then this will cause the web interface to fail.

see the below snippet from reprap.htm noting the commented out "<!--" lines after.

I'm assuming this is required as the simple on board web server isn't able to reliably serve .js or .css files itself yet.

Matt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 04:46AM by iamburny.

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
KK
January 02, 2014 03:55PM
Hi Matt

iamburny
I'm assuming this is required as the simple on board web server isn't able to reliably serve .js or .css files itself yet.

I have also found the remove links in the html files, but it is interesting to note that there are *.js files on the SD card that dont seem to be used, I have not tried to change the src yet bu maybe this is just a bug tht it links to the remote sites. So far I have just been using Pronterface (the "Get Pos" button can give the positions for the Z-axis setup).

Regards,

Kevin
Ormerod 245 (in South Africa)
January 02, 2014 04:37PM
Hi KK, I would love to fix some of the firmware issues, but unfortunately neither myself nor another Ormerod user is able to reproduce the Duet firmware build at present. See the end of this thread.

January 02, 2014 05:28PM
We're working hard on this, and having a meeting about it tomorrow. iamburny is correct, the .js scripts aren't reliably served by the SD card at the moment. However, the situation may have changed with the recent firmware update that delays SD access; we haven't tried it, but if someone wanted to this evening...

Because the web interface has to connect to the internet to download these scripts, it may be why many people have problems with the web interface. Your gateway address does need to be set correctly to connect, while some routers don't like the static ip that the Duet sets. We're working towards solutions for all these problems.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 02, 2014 06:02PM
I'm following this thread with interest as it is one issue I find very frustrating. Really looking forward to be able to connect more reliably...

One thing I have noticed though is that once I have connected with the web server for the first time, I can reset the printer, power down and re-start and then if the browser window is still open it will just work straightaway without having to enter the password. I can then just home the axis and run setbed.g and I'm good to go again.
February 03, 2014 04:54PM
I had the same problem the web interface going down every time after some minute, my reprap Ormerod use only PSU ATX. I installed the web interface from Iamburny (it is very nice) but I had the same problem, with this message "Warning! Ormerod webserver is probably broken, power cycle/reset your Duet Board sad smiley"

Any one know how fix that issue?

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 04:57PM by Pendragon.
February 03, 2014 05:11PM
Pendragon
I had the same problem the web interface going down every time after some minute, my reprap Ormerod use only PSU ATX. I installed the web interface from Iamburny (it is very nice) but I had the same problem, with this message "Warning! Ormerod webserver is probably broken, power cycle/reset your Duet Board sad smiley"

Any one know how fix that issue?

Thanks

Which firmware are you using?

February 03, 2014 05:12PM
I use RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014
February 03, 2014 05:27PM
Matt has optimised his web interface to be used with my 57g-dc42 or 57h-dc42 firmware. I don't know whether he still supports the official 0.57a firmware at all, and the SD upload and SD print facilities certainly need the extra support in my firmware.

February 03, 2014 05:43PM
Thanks Dc42, I will try to load your firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 06:04PM by Pendragon.
February 03, 2014 06:09PM
DC42 I resolved smiling smiley thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs up
February 03, 2014 06:15PM
DC42, no sad smiley I don't resolve I had disconnect after some time I used the web interface. sad smiley same error "Warning! Ormerod webserver is probably broken, power cycle/reset your Duet Board sad smiley"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 06:17PM by Pendragon.
February 03, 2014 06:28PM
OK, if you are using 57h then try 57g from here [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. Also, you could try connecting Pronterface, sending M111 S1 and then looking to see if there is any traffic when the network connection problem occurs.

February 03, 2014 08:08PM
dc42 when I send M111 S1 after the problem I receive this message "Network connection error, code -10"
February 04, 2014 03:55AM
Pendragon
dc42 when I send M111 S1 after the problem I receive this message "Network connection error, code -10"

Those messages are quite normal when the web server starts trying to connect, but you shouldn't get more than about 3 of them in a row.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login