Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print attempts either choke or ignored....

Posted by gregstah 
Print attempts either choke or ignored....
December 31, 2013 11:38AM
I have to say I'm at the end of my wits and my patience as long since left the building.

I have been for the last few days trying to print ormaxis.g the first attempt I noted that it was not going well and I'd not done my axis compensation very well that's when I discovered there seems to be no "cancel" or "abort". Since then:
  • Most Print attemps are ignored
  • When able to connect to the web interface prints seem to be "heeded" ... sometimes....
  • Pronterface prints from the SD seem to allow one print anything else after that seems to fail
  • I tried printing from Pronterface by loading ormaxis.g this seems to have sporadic results as well
  • If a print does run it usually chokes without even starting
  • One of my prints started just now but it when very quickly and very jagged so not sure what went on there.
  • I'm not sure of the above was possibly a side effect of me connecting the jumper across J9 to get power from the ATX supply (Doubt it but this was the thing done differently prior to that)
  • I have just now "started" a print and nothing is happening... this seems very normal... yes I did wait longer than 2 seconds, it's been about 10 Minutes.

I realise 3d printing is like cooking... you have to perfect it. But it is not made easier by software that continually seems to thwart one's efforts.

Am I simply doing something/ a number of things wrong... ??

I had visions of making amazing things but I'm quite despondent now and making anything would placate me... also I think my wife is about to leave me after hearing me curse for the last 2 days.... could be a lonely New Year ... tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 11:45AM by gregstah.
Attachments:
open | download - 20131231_180447.jpg (181.2 KB)
open | download - 20131231_175837.jpg (249.3 KB)
Re: Print attempts either choke or ignored....
December 31, 2013 12:02PM
I sympathise with you, it's been a frustrating experience at times.

I gave up on Pronterface a while ago (couldn't get anything to print from SD) and have been using the web interface ever since. The web interface does have a "pause print" button, and this effectively cancels the print unless you resume it. But the web interface is fussy about how you connect to it, and some people can't get it going at all.

I read in another thread that the latest firmware (on the Duet branch, not the master branch) has a fix in it to allow you to print more than one thing in Pronterface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 12:02PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 31, 2013 01:28PM
At this point I would take some time out, do something else and get back to it.

Another alternative is to ask if there is anyone nearby that can pop in and help, though I think we have all still got our L plates on with this one!

regards
Andy (Ormerod 318 smiling smiley )

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
December 31, 2013 02:00PM
Nearby to where?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 01, 2014 04:24AM
LOL Nearby to Cape Town South Africa... - Far away :-)

Thanks for the words of encouragement... :-)

dc42 when you are running via the web interface, how do you set the temperatures? Are you simply sending commands?

The input windows duplicate each other if I put 110 in "bed" it autofills the same figure to extruder and if I put 240 in extruder it automatically changes bed to the same. Some sort of web bug...
January 01, 2014 04:51AM
Hi gregstah, I set the bed temperature using the facility provided in the web interface. Don't worry about the duplication of the bed temperature in the extruder window and vice versa. It doesn't actually do anything with those figures unless you press the corresponding Set button. You are not the first to be confused by this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 04:52AM by dc42.

January 04, 2014 10:22AM
To print from SD card via Pronterface, use commands M20, M23 and M24. To pause the print, the command is M25.

So, first enter M20 (must be uppercase). This will return a list of the files on the SD card. As the filenames are always in 8.3 format, these may be different to the filenames you copied to the card

Then enter M23 [filename]
BUT NOTE that the filename must always be in *lower* case letters even if the M20 command has listed them in uppercase! You should get a message indicating that the file has been loaded.
Apart from changing the case to lowercase if necessary, use the 8.3 format name that was listed in the M20 command.

Then you send an M24 command to start the print. You can pause the print with an M25 command, and re-start it with another M24 command. If you stop the print and want to start it from the beginning, issue another M23 command before the M24 command.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 05:11AM by dmould.
January 04, 2014 10:44AM
The 'master' branch of the firmware has been updated with a fix for the multiple M24 commands that Pronterface sends, which was causing the firmware to be confused. As dmould suggests, you can enter the gcode directly - more info: [reprap.org]

It's a actually a Pronterface bug: each subsequent print sent from Pronterface causes an extra M24 command to be sent, so it sends M23, M24 the first time, but M23, M24, M24 the next time, then M23, M24, M24, M24 the next. However, M24 should be preceeded by M23 to start a print, or M25 (pause) to resume it, otherwise it's saying 'Print this!' without actually specifying what 'it' is! As we're never sure which version of the firmware a customer may be using, we have set the firmware to ignore multiple M24 commands.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login