0.12mm layer printing
January 03, 2014 01:31PM
Hi,

I already printed some stuff with the default ormerod settings (0.5) and layer height 0.24mm which went well at default and higher speeds.
But I can't get 0.12mm layer working. The print always gets angled/ askew and the nozzle is kind of rumbling over the print after some layers. I tried different speeds but with no succes so far.
Any suggestions?

Markus

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
Re: 0.12mm layer printing
January 03, 2014 01:40PM
I had that problem when I was doing 0.24mm printing with a lot of backlash in the Z gearing due to wear. To print at 0.12mm, I think you need either very little backlash in the Z axis, or for the Z axis to move up only. So my suggestion is to try levelling the bed manually, and turn off the bed compensation, so that the Z axis never moves down.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 04, 2014 10:54AM
Thx, dc42.

I tried that, but after the fourth or fifth layer the nozzle again begins to "rumble" over the print.
I set Z0 in the middle because compensation is not activated, but that doesn't help either.
It looks like there is too much filament extruded, esp. because the extruder sometimes stutters.

The prints with 0.24mm don't have any effects described above.

Markus

January 04, 2014 11:09AM
Have you tried changing the "Extrusion factor" in slic3r? I find that even at 0.24mm, a value of 0.95 gives me better prints than the default 1.0.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 05, 2014 06:56AM
Hi Markus,

May I know how's the 0.12mm layer printout going ? Just wish to know if Ormerod really can handle that hi-res quality prints as advertised. My main intention to get a 3D printer just for printing hi-res small parts.

Ew
January 05, 2014 07:37AM
Hi Ew,

unfortunately I had no success with 0.12mm layer printing. In the meantime, I did a lot of test prints with different settings but I was not successful until yet. Maybe I'm overlooking something very simple, but printing with the 0.12mm layer seems to be much more challenging than with 0.24mm with which I never had any major problems (except for having #004 and acted as beta tester for a while now). I hope there are no mechanical constraints which haven't been discovered yet, which prevent from printing in 0.12mm (either with or without bed plane and axis compensation). I would love to see something from RepRapPro which was printed successfully in 0.12mm layers and see the according settings in slic3r for that.

And yes I also bought the Ormerod because 0.12mm was the minimum I wanted to get with the printer maybe even less like 0.10mm or 0.05mm. It was advertised of being able to print more accurate than the mechanical build allows with the help of the proximity thing, electronic compensation etc. I hope that was no marketing overstatement.

Still being confident.

Markus

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 07:39AM by markbee.

January 05, 2014 08:08AM
Hi Markus,

Strange that no other Ormerod users show off their prints in very fine layer yet. Maybe most of them still busy building or solving problems.
Hope you can success real soon. Good luck !

Ew
January 05, 2014 09:33AM
I'll try and get some sensible setting for you to try out next week. markbee - the trouble you have had before may be to do with over-extrusion, though Slic3r should adjust for this automatically when you change layer height.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 05, 2014 09:41AM
@Ian

That's great news!

I will then switch to the Prusa Mendel I have in care until I have settings for the Ormerod winking smiley

Markus

January 10, 2014 04:13PM
sorry I started a new topic on this looks like there's a firmware issue, but there's also a workaround ... [forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login