Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Commissioning - cannot talk to Due

Posted by alanbattersby 
Commissioning - cannot talk to Due
January 06, 2014 05:19PM
Hi,
I am having difficulty in connecting to the due board with both arduino ide and pronterface. Arduino ide recognises ttyACM0 but the serial monitor just remains blank. Tried typing M115 but get Invalid code so time to update firmware as stated in instructions. However after closing arduino ide, when I run the bossac command using I get no device found. I did update SD card with newly downloaded files before trying the bossac command.

sudo /home/alan/arduino-1.5.5/hardware/tools/bossac --port=ttyACM0 -U true -e -w -v RepRapFirmware.bin -R
No device found on ttyACM0

I can rerun arduinoIDE after above and still get Invalid code return on tty/ACM0. So what is going on?

Trying to connect with pronterface I get
Connecting...
then infinite list of

T:19.6 B:22 or approx

Also my router switch does not recognise the due as no light comes on when I plug in a cat cable. Is this a problem with my due?

Thanks, any help appreciated,
Alan
Re: Commissioning - cannot talk to Due
January 06, 2014 05:31PM
Hi Alan,

On my Mac I get a list of (valid) ports to choose from. It seems like you might not have chosen a valid port.
In my case the ports are called something similar to /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131.

Hope you can find a valid port on your machine!

Best,
Henrik

RS Ormerod No 080
January 06, 2014 05:38PM
Hi Alan

Firmware: When you press reset, the USB port is probably changing. You can check in Arduino IDE. It probably swaps between ttyACM0 and ttyACM1.

Arduino Serial monitor: check correct port is chosen. Check settings, as per instructions (baud rate 115200 and Newine selected). Though if you've already pressed the 'erase' button, there will be no response, as the firmware has been... erased!

Pronterface: stream of temperature readings? SD card has not worked. Try another, better quality one, if possible. Updating the firmware MAY improve this, but just assume any problem is the SD card to start with. It's easier that way. You need to updated the contents of the SD card when you update the firmware.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 06, 2014 06:32PM
How on linux do I check the usb port? I have looked at hardware using Udev discoverer and it reports
Arduino_LLC
Arduino_Due

Subsystem: usb
Devtype: usb_device
Name: 2-1.3
Number: 3
Sysfs_path: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.3
Driver: usb
Action: n/a
Seqnum: n/a
Device type: char
Device number: 48524
Device file: /dev/bus/usb/002/013
Device file symlinks: n/a

but doesnt say what tty device is being used. Do I use /dev/bus/usb/002/013 from above in my bossac command?
again lsusb reports Bus 002 Device 013: ID 2341:003e Arduino SA
but no hint as to how I access it. As I am only a casual linux user I do not know about the deeper aspects such as this. I am using my linux system because my windows 8.1 pc gave no results at all. I am becoming very frustrated with these problems on what appeared to be a simple task.
Alan
January 06, 2014 06:49PM
I just look in the Arduino IDE ports list. It should show up there.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 06, 2014 07:01PM
I am finding the port number using the arduino 1.5.5 ide see attached screenshot but when I use this in a bossac command the port is not recognised. I am using ubuntu 13.10 is it a problem with the OS?

Alan
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot from 2014-01-06 23:52:29.png (532.7 KB)
open | download - Screenshot from 2014-01-06 23:53:33.png (559 KB)
January 06, 2014 07:34PM
The port number goes up by 1 when you erase and reset the Duet, at least when running Windows. Then back down 1 when bossac has finished and restarted the Duet.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 06, 2014 08:24PM
Alan

Try the command on both ports. After you press erase and reset, and waited 10 seconds, there's no time limit as to when to upload the firmware. I went to lunch between pressing reset and uploading, once. You don't need to press erase and reset again. So you should be able to check the port, compose the bossac command etc. then upload.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 07, 2014 05:58AM
alanbattersby
I am using ubuntu 13.10 is it a problem with the OS?

I'll try with my Ubuntu 13.10 tonight (EU time).

Best,
Henrik

RS Ormerod No 080
January 07, 2014 07:20AM
It shouldn't be a problem with Ubuntu; I use 13.10.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 07, 2014 09:10AM
Hi,
Managed this morning to update the firmware so processor now responds to M115 with
FIRMWARE_NAME:RepRapFirmware FIRMWARE_VERSION:0.53 ELECTRONICSgrinning smileyuet DATE:2014-01-06
However,
I cannot get the SD card to load every time I enter M503 I get
Can't open 0:/sys/config.g to read from. Error code: 13
Configuration file not found

I have tried several SD cards all with no success. Can I independently check the SD card reader on the Due is functioning correctly? What make of SD card works my Transcend 2GB card certainly does not despite being re-formatted a couple of times with apparently no difficulty.
January 07, 2014 09:34AM
Hi Alan

The Duet *should* work with all SD cards. The supplied SD cards are not the fastest type, and appear to be quite unreliable. Are you sure the card is clicking in properly? However, it's possibly a board fault; we've had a few Duets with poor soldering on the USB connector, SD card holder and Ethernet port. If you look at the tabs of the USB connector (easiest to see with the board dismounted from the enclosure), is there solder through the holes?

We are happy to replace boards under warranty if it seems to be at fault, on the understanding that the old one is returned to us.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 07, 2014 09:52AM
Looking at the rear of the board, there doesnt seem to be any solder in the holes under the usb connector, nor in the two holes under the SD card holder.
January 07, 2014 10:45AM
Hi Alan

I think that there doesn't need to be solder on the two holes under the SD card, but the lack of solder in other places indicative of other problems. In this case, the USB connector will fail, and the ethernet port may be unreliable.

Please email me on support at reprappro dot com, with your name, address, telephone number and, if you have a red Ormerod, it's machine number from the certificate, and I'll order a new Duet to be sent to you under warranty.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 07, 2014 11:06AM
Hi Everyone. So, I am commissioning my Ormerod after completing the build process. I am attempting First Connection. I plug in the USB lead and the LED next to USB lights up on the board. Also the "Y" axis LED lights up or switches off if i push the y axis up to stop etc. My laptop downloads drivers. I look in device manager and under com ports is Arduino due Com9.
So far so good. I open the Arduino IDE and go to Tools->Board menu and select ‘Arduino Due (Native UScool smiley from the list. Then I go to Tools->Port menu and select COM9
Now I go to Tools->Serial Monitor. I set the speed at115200 and select Newline from the dropdown menu on the left.

I wait for one min...nothing happens. Check everything...yep all ok and try again... Nothing happens ie the firmware is NOT up and running. At this point I try sending some M codes...no response. I turn on the atx power, everything seems ok, hot end fan begins to spin after a short interval. Still no communication is recieved from the Duet.
I try pronterface set it to COM9 but I just get the message connecting.... forever. However if i set pronterface to COM3 (gotta try SOMETHING) I get the repeated message M105. In any case the "Get Pos" command returns the answer "printer not online"
After much checking and repeating I decide to erase the firmware, reset the board and re flash the firmware. All goes well and the program verifies that the the process went ok.

Start from scratch and STILL nothing from the duet and no response to ANY codes.
Conclusions, USB cable must be ok cos flashing firmware worked. General wiring must be ok cos leds work and flashing firmware worked
Please can someone suggest what to do next ?
January 07, 2014 02:28PM
alanbattersby
I am using ubuntu 13.10 is it a problem with the OS?

It works fine for me with Ubuntu 13.10.
Not the first time though. The trick that did it for me was to start arduino/pronterface with sudo.

Here's one of my shell scripts for the record:

#! /usr/bin/env sh
cd ~/Downloads/arduino-1.5.5
sudo ./arduino

Hope that helps!

Best,
Henrik
jpp
January 12, 2014 04:52AM
Hello.

After putting the printer together, i find myself the same place as martiangerbil.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Best regards

john
January 12, 2014 05:12AM
martiangerbill & jpp, what COM port numbers did you use to flash the firmware successfully, and have you checked in Device Manager which COM port the port is now showing as? The port number when using bossac to flash the firmware is normally one higher than the "normal" one used for connecting the serial monitor or Pronterface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 05:13AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 12, 2014 05:23AM
jpp - what operating system? There is an issue with Windows 8 - see [forums.reprap.org]
January 12, 2014 06:49AM
I'm not allone (great / sorry)
I'm in the same situation as martiangerbill wrote on Jan 07. and jpp on Jan 12.

dc42:
the com port for the erased duet board (bossac driver) is com8
the com port for the flashed duet board (arduino driver) is com9
always the same com ports (Win7 64bit)
The serial monitor and pronterface offers only com9 (or non, when the duet board was not recognized (and not found in device manager))
January 12, 2014 09:30AM
if it is any help, when I flash the firmware (I run linux) I find that I need to wait quite a lot longer than 10s after pressing erase/reset. More like 30-40s, so you might want to wait a minute and then send a command with ACM0 and ACM1 if you are not sure which it is.
jpp
January 12, 2014 11:02AM
Hi

Im running win 7 64bit.

Havnt erased the board, but reaction...or rather no reacion, is same as martiangerbil.

Am using port 8 both in devmngr and in arduino software.

I did try the reset button, but it just turned off the usb and didnt turn it back on (waited 5 min). So unplug usb and reconnect it....still no response.

Did i mention that my head hurts... winking smiley

Best regards
john
January 12, 2014 11:09AM
@jpp,

check you pressed the reset button by the USB connector and not the firmware erase/update button by the network connector.
If the latter then you obviously need to go through the update firmware process.

[edit] Also recall that the DUET starts faster in a network lead is plugged in and connected at server/PC end as it does less time error checking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 11:11AM by Treth.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
jpp
January 12, 2014 11:22AM
Hi.

Yes it was the reset button by the usb port.

Best regard

john
January 12, 2014 11:28AM
jpp: If it's not a driver issue, I think it's going to be one of two things:

1. Not enough power via USB to power the board, so it never gets going; see: [www.reprappro.com]
Fix this by plugging in the ATX PSU, and putting a jumper on JP9, as outlined here: [www.reprappro.com]
HOWEVER, to stop the chance of uncontrolled heating, I suggest you unplug all the motors and heaters from the board, with the power off, before powering up from the ATX PSU.
This won't work if you have one of the first 220 (red plastics) Ormerods: see [forums.reprap.org]

2. USB socket on the board is dodgy, as suggested before. Check if all four pins are soldered - these not only provide support for the socket, but also ground it, so you may have problems if none of them are soldered. Feel free to solder them up yourself, but the damage may already have been done to the socket, and you'll need a replacement board. Email me on support at reprappro dot com to arrange an exchange - we're asking for all Duets to be sent back to us.

Let me know if that helps.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 12, 2014 11:30AM
I'm running out of ideas, but just before Ian's latest post I was going to suggest:

- In the Arduino IDE, did you remember to set the board type to "Arduino Due (native USB port)" before trying to run the serial monitor?
- Also, try setting the newline indicator in the serial monitor to "both CR & LF" or whatever the wording is (I can't check it now because I'm printing), that's what I have it set to.

January 12, 2014 01:19PM
Hi Ian
droftarts
2. USB socket on the board is dodgy, as suggested before. Check if all four pins are soldered - these not only provide support for the socket, but also ground it, so you may have problems if none of them are soldered
In another post (long since lost!) I pointed out that the USB socket housing and the network socket housing are NOT grounded on the DUET. I questioned this, but searches on the Internet do not confirm what is correct, although connecting to ground via a ferrite is common.

The network connector housing I also believe should be grounded.

Just for reference the SD card housing IS connected to ground.

It will be interesting to hear what your electronics team say.

January 12, 2014 01:55PM
Treth

I've just had a look at the schematic [github.com] page 5, and it would appear that the USB 'shield' is grounded on the board. There is the problem of creating an earth loop when the other end of the USB is grounded, I know, so yes, it would be good to get some feedback from EEs as to whether this is a good idea or not. This has existed in previous reprap electronics, and the danger of a ground loop has, I suppose, been there. But then how do commercial companies, eg Epson, cope with this when they build a USB printer?

The SD card socket and Ethernet port also seem to be grounded.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 12, 2014 02:24PM
droftarts
Treth

I've just had a look at the schematic [github.com] page 5, and it would appear that the USB 'shield' is grounded on the board. There is the problem of creating an earth loop when the other end of the USB is grounded, I know, so yes, it would be good to get some feedback from EEs as to whether this is a good idea or not. This has existed in previous reprap electronics, and the danger of a ground loop has, I suppose, been there. But then how do commercial companies, eg Epson, cope with this when they build a USB printer?

The SD card socket and Ethernet port also seem to be grounded.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Hi Ian, I'm new to KiCAD and agree what you say about the schematic, but looking at the PCB board layout, I see that the screen for the USB and network are not connected. All the through holes seem to be floating.
I have also checked with my DVM and the USB and Network screens are not connected to ground, but the SD card is (checked to the PSU enclosure).

See my post in [forums.reprap.org]
Re: Printing hangs/ freezes
January 09, 2014 04:14PM

In there I post a link to another forum [forum.allaboutcircuits.com] where I found the most interesting discussion on the USB screen.

January 12, 2014 02:28PM
There are a notes about this from people who ought to know (semiconductor manufacturers) here and here. So I would go with something like 4n7 in parallel with 1M between shield and ground, and ferrite beads in series with each of the four non-shield connections.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login