Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heads up - Driver install issue

Posted by dmould 
Heads up - Driver install issue
January 07, 2014 01:45PM
I've already sent an email to the RepRap support team, but just a heads-up that the Arduino driver will no longer install on Windows. The reason is that its certificate is not dated, which results in Windows refusing to install it after 2013. The quick & dirty workaround is to reset your PC clock to 2013, install the driver, after which you can change the clock back to the correct date. As a permanent solution, the certificate needs to be dated and re-signed. Obviously only affects people who are installing the driver after the new year (as I needed to do today after moving the Ormerod to a different PC (running Win 8). The annoying thing is that Windows doesn't give any clue as to why the install failed, so I suspect many people commissioning the Ormerod for the first time are in for a frustrating experience!
Re: Heads up - Driver install issue
January 07, 2014 05:01PM
Thanks for the heads up - I'll try and sort this out tomorrow. Is it just a Windows 8 problem, or Windows 7 too?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 07, 2014 05:02PM
dmould
I've already sent an email to the RepRap support team, but just a heads-up that the Arduino driver will no longer install on Windows. The reason is that its certificate is not dated, which results in Windows refusing to install it after 2013. The quick & dirty workaround is to reset your PC clock to 2013, install the driver, after which you can change the clock back to the correct date. As a permanent solution, the certificate needs to be dated and re-signed. Obviously only affects people who are installing the driver after the new year (as I needed to do today after moving the Ormerod to a different PC (running Win 8). The annoying thing is that Windows doesn't give any clue as to why the install failed, so I suspect many people commissioning the Ormerod for the first time are in for a frustrating experience!

It installed fine on my Windows 7 64bit machine, I installed it yesterday and again today.

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 08, 2014 05:37AM
droftarts
Thanks for the heads up - I'll try and sort this out tomorrow. Is it just a Windows 8 problem, or Windows 7 too?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

AFAIAA it's an issue with all Windoze versions, but only Win8 prevents installation - the others just warn you that the certificate is invalid and allow you to ignore it.
January 08, 2014 09:17AM
There appear to be updated drivers for Windows 8 here: [github.com]
We're just trying them out now. Hopefully this means a new version of the Arduino IDE will be authored in the next couple of days.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 08, 2014 09:55AM
Okay, rough fix. This is what I'm saying people who email me about this:

I think you are using Windows 8? There seems to be an issue, that we only discovered yesterday, that the device drivers for the Arduino Due (and hence Duet) do no get installed. This is because the device certificate is out of date, and Windows 8 doesn't tell you! You can override this behaviour in Windows 7.

You can check if this is the case by opening the Device Manager, and looking to see if the 'Arduino Due' is properly recognised.

There are a couple of options:
1. Set the date of your computer to before 1st Decemeber 2013. Install the device drivers for the Arduino Due. Set your date back to current date.
2. It's possible to turn off the driver signing, which will allow you to install the device drivers: [www.howtogeek.com]
3. Arduino have updated the device driver, but haven't packaged it neatly for use... yet. Hopefully it will be available in a couple of days. You can download the updated driver here: [github.com]

These are quite hacky fixes, which we have only just come up with, but should get you going. Can you let me know if/what works?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 11, 2014 10:23AM
The Arduino site says the IDE package has been updated for Windows now. See: [arduino.cc]
I think this must have been updated in the last 24 hours. Any chance someone can test this? I don't have access to a Windows 7 or 8 installation.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 11, 2014 11:17AM
I have Win 7, 64bit

The workaround installing 1.5.5 with date of Nov 2013 was working (Arduino is found in device manager)

I tried the 1.5.5 r2 (date today) but I get the failure: "no valid signature" during execution of: ...\Arduino\drivers\dpinst-amd64.exe /lm /sw /sa
After several "accept installation" the instrallation routine was completed and "Arduino Due COM9" was found in the device manager.

I'm a novice in such things but I saw no difference to the old 1.5.5 installation (same "error message")
January 11, 2014 11:24AM
Hi #442

Thanks for the feedback! I'll wait and see if anyone with Windows 8 reports before updating the instructions.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 11, 2014 11:33AM
I'm surprised people have gotten it to work on Windows 7 64 bit without the date trick. I'm pretty sure Windows 7 64 bit, in fact all x86-64 versions of Windows since XP have had driver signature enforcement on by default (you used to be able to disable it although I think they removed this at some stage in either Vista or 7 after an update so you had to hack it to remove it). The only thing I can think is the lack of a date isn't interpreted as an invalid signature in some versions of Windows.
January 11, 2014 12:23PM
Well I installed the 32bit version on my PC running Windows 7 64bit, I did get the warning about not being signed or not able to validate etc, but I just ignored it and told it to install anyway.

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 11, 2014 01:10PM
Actually when I think about it a bit more, I believe driver signature enforcement on Windows XP x64 to Windows 7 x64 only stops unsigned drivers from loading. It doesn't stop them from being installed. (It does however completely stop them from loading, you need to disable driver signature enforcement at boot time or similar to get around it.) Since the lack of date issue only affects the drivers during installation I guess that explains why it's not a problem. So sorry for any confusion.

P.S. I presume you must have installed the 64 bit drivers. Installing (well to be accurate, loading) 32 bit drivers on any version of Windows x86-64 definitely won't work no matter what you do (there's isn't even a way to hack it to work, it's simply not possible). The software of course may be 32 bit or 64 bit, it doesn't generally matter except for a few things I won't get in to. And to please nitpickers, I'm of course only referring to loading the drivers on the running kernel, not in a VM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 01:17PM by Nil Einne.
January 13, 2014 11:49AM
Hi, I only completed my Ormerod assembly today.
I have just used the date trick. After setting the date to the beginning of December 2013, the 'Don't install drivers / Install anyway' dialogue box still pops up every twenty seconds or so, for several minutes, but then will eventually bring up a smaller dialogue box 'Arduino: Install'. I clicked install, and after one more appearance by the first 'Don't install / Install Anyway' dialogue) the process completed.

Win7 64 bit
January 13, 2014 12:20PM
Dave_Longdown: Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully Arduino will get this fixed, soon.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login