Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Ormerod Web Interface - WIP

Posted by iamburny 
New Ormerod Web Interface - WIP
January 07, 2014 02:08PM
Began work on my new Web Interface for the Ormerod, Design pretty much complete, moving onto the functionality now.

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
Re: New Ormerod Web Interface - WIP
January 07, 2014 02:36PM
Looking good! smiling smiley

RS Ormerod No 080
January 07, 2014 03:11PM
Looks good! A couple of suggestions:

1. Can you provide negative feed amounts as well? When a print fails, I would like to retract some filament.

2. When using the "Send g-code" function, it would be really useful to report the result (e.g. so that I can do IR sensor calibration over Ethernet). I realise this would need some work on the firmware to report the result, but I could add that.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 07, 2014 04:12PM
dc42
1. Can you provide negative feed amounts as well? When a print fails, I would like to retract some filament.

Yep no problem, i can add that.

dc42
2. When using the "Send g-code" function, it would be really useful to report the result (e.g. so that I can do IR sensor calibration over Ethernet). I realise this would need some work on the firmware to report the result, but I could add that.

Currently the firmware doesn't return information from a web gcode request so "http://192.168.1.14/rr_gcode?gcode=G31" will not return the value from the Z probe sad smiley

only a few of the rr_ requests return data. maybe you can tweak the firmware winking smiley

Matt

January 07, 2014 04:58PM
Thumbs up from me! We wondered if people would have a go at this - ours was rather simple. I think a jog dial like Pronterface would be nice, and graphing and...

Seriously, though, we are totally amazed and impressed by how enthusiastic people are. The reprap project, which we adhere to, is about giving people a starting point, and allowing them to take their printer where they want. Thumbs up, all around.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 07, 2014 05:02PM
Thanks Ian,

I'm really enjoying the whole experience, and loving the community it is creating =)

Matt

P.s. (I see you have a opening for a web developer!!! winking smiley)

January 07, 2014 05:04PM
If you like earning a pittance in the back of beyond... get in touch! Personally, I love it.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 10, 2014 09:12AM
Hi Guys,

New Ormerod Web Interface - Git Hub

I'm at a position now with the web interface were I need some beta testers, if anyone is willing i'd be grateful, I have committed the current beta test version to my Github at the link above with some basic install instructions in the Readme.md. Feedback would be appreciated.

*** Due to the flaky web server on the Ormerod's Duet it requires you have a webserver somewhere!, preferably on your local LAN ***

Matt

January 10, 2014 03:36PM
No guinea pigs Beta Testers brave enough to try it out? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Matt

January 10, 2014 04:05PM
iamburny
No guinea pigs Beta Testers brave enough to try it out? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Matt
Firstly thanks for all your great work, it is appreciated by me. Unfortunately my Network knowledge, use and settings has all been plug and play so I probably would not help very much as it won't work for me(!) and 'my problems' will only confuse! BUT I do value your work (and others) that will be of benefit to me and the community.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
January 10, 2014 04:06PM
I'd love to try it, but I don't normally run a local web server. Why does it need one - are you sure that the Duet can't handle all the requests? The images and Javascript files will get cached after first use.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 10, 2014 04:29PM
dc42
I'd love to try it, but I don't normally run a local web server. Why does it need one - are you sure that the Duet can't handle all the requests? The images and Javascript files will get cached after first use.

Its a speed issue, the duet is so painfully slow and transferring/receiving data it is just not capable of serving larger pages, the page it does serve from my new interface is only 24k yet is noticeably slow in loading.

I guess I could configure a version to pull files from Github an other official repositories (e.g. jquery etc) this would negate having to have a local webserver but would require a internet connection.

Treth
Unfortunately my Network knowledge, use and settings has all been plug and play so I probably would not help
To be honest, your exactly the sort of person I need, I use it from a web developers perspective. I need to know how it operates from someone who's expectations aren't based on coding skills.

Matt

January 10, 2014 04:33PM
iamburny
dc42

Its a speed issue, the duet is so painfully slow and transferring/receiving data it is just not capable of serving larger pages, the page it does serve from my new interface is only 24k yet is noticeably slow in loading.

I guess I could configure a version to pull files from Github an other official repositories (e.g. jquery etc) this would negate having to have a local webserver but would require a internet connection.

Treth
Unfortunately my Network knowledge, use and settings has all been plug and play so I probably would not help
To be honest, your exactly the sort of person I need, I use it from a web developers perspective. I need to know how it operates from someone who's expectations aren't based on coding skills.

Matt

Matt - are you saying that although the web page is resident on a remote (to the printer) server, it still controls the printer ? (I guess I should dl it and check the readme but a clarification on this point would help). If so would it run from "home" on my pc?

Ray
January 10, 2014 04:47PM
rayhicks
Matt - are you saying that although the web page is resident on a remote (to the printer) server, it still controls the printer ? (I guess I should dl it and check the readme but a clarification on this point would help). If so would it run from "home" on my pc?

Ray
Thats sort of correct Ray, technically it has always been you PC's web browser controlling the printer, all that has changed is were your browser looks to get its files needed to do that controlling.

On the original control interface your web browser requests a page from the Ormerod, it sends back a small html file contains link to internet sites (e.g github) were more required files reside.

When you web browser requests my interface (reprap.htm) from the ormerod it send back a slightly larger file (due to more styling) which also contains links to other required files, i have chosen to put these other files on a webserver local to me. however I am now planning to give the option to use internet based links if you prefer.

Matt

January 10, 2014 04:55PM
That's great, thanks for the clarification Matt. So I could run a server on localhost (if I care to find out a bit more about blasted mac os X), install your page and blam! ?

Looking forward to itsmiling smiley

Ray
January 10, 2014 04:57PM
rayhicks
blam!

Exactly =D

January 10, 2014 05:16PM
I'd rather try serving the whole lot from the Duet, and then fix the firmware if it is too slow. Can I configure your web interface that way?

January 10, 2014 05:42PM
Yep, although the Web server module in the firmware is very basic at the moment

January 10, 2014 05:48PM
iamburny
Yep, although the Web server module in the firmware is very basic at the moment

What I'm really asking is, does the web server module in the firmware have sufficient functionality to serve all the pages, or is the problem that it's really only designed to serve a single page? So far I've only had occasion to look at the connection process and error recovery. I guess I can answer my own question by taking a closer look at the source code, but maybe you know the answer already?

January 10, 2014 06:02PM
I had a nose through the code also it clearly states "This class serves a single-page web applications to the attached network." Although it does seem to have code to try and handle javascript serving, which I have not tried due to the speed issues.

January 10, 2014 06:06PM
Matt
Followed all your instructions, installed a local webserver on my file server, down loaded and amended your files as instructed and it nearly works. Don't know enough about web servers to do any more. I have attached a jpeg of what I see, perhaps you can tell me what is going wrong.
John
Ormorod 096
Attachments:
open | download - Reprap.pdf (306.8 KB)
January 10, 2014 06:14PM
Hi John ,

It looks like the links at the beginning of the reprap.htm and the script tags at the end aren't being loaded.

This is usually caused by the src/href location being incorrect or not existing. I can help more if you copy one or two of these "link" / "script" tags into a post so I can see.

Matt

January 10, 2014 07:18PM
Matt
Sorted it. I had a senior moment, put the ip address of the reprap rather than the ip address of the webserver into reprap.htm. Anyway first impressions are favourable, it seems to function perfectly. I'll give it a more intensive workout tomorrow when the wine will have dissipated.

John
Ormorod 096
January 10, 2014 08:24PM
Hey all

Improving the webserver on the Duet would be great. Its hacked from the Atmel Studio Framework version of LWIP. If anyone is up for working on this I can try and help with what I remember. At the lower level the Ethernet PHY code was adapted from the code Atmel wrote for their development board. I followed the datasheet closely for that one so I think the Ethernet should be pretty good and the issues lie higher up the stack.

Running the webserver locally and sending the requests to the duet is a great idea as well it allows for much heavier weight and graphical pages. Improving the on board server to work well with mobile devices is a must though.

Tony

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]
January 11, 2014 03:45AM
The issues I found were to do with error recovery. The low level code was making a callback to alert the higher levels about a network error, but the higher levels were not doing any error recovery. The fixes I did for that are on github. But I didn't find out why, for some types of host computer and network connection, network errors happen so frequently during the initial connection process. Does anyone know of some good network traffic monitoring software that runs under Windows 7 that will help me investigate this?

January 11, 2014 04:29AM
dc42
The issues I found were to do with error recovery. The low level code was making a callback to alert the higher levels about a network error, but the higher levels were not doing any error recovery. The fixes I did for that are on github. But I didn't find out why, for some types of host computer and network connection, network errors happen so frequently during the initial connection process. Does anyone know of some good network traffic monitoring software that runs under Windows 7 that will help me investigate this?

I use wireshark quite a bit it's a great traffic monitor.

[www.wireshark.org]

January 11, 2014 06:02AM
@iamburny: Great work! Again!

The network framework is something we're looking at, but changing it drastically could introduce other problems. One left-field suggestion is the QP framework [en.wikipedia.org]
I know some people on here have experience of these sort of chips *cough* dc42 *cough* winking smiley . Any other preferences/suggestions?

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 11, 2014 07:21AM
droftarts
@iamburny: Great work! Again!

Thanks =) to be honest i'm really enjoying it.

Currently working on the following enhancements

Printing progress % (calculated with manually entered print height, current Z height and layer height)
Per layer print time stats.
Estimated print time remaining.
G File Upload via M28/M29 (seems unreliable initally)
G File deletion (M30)
Custom temps & gcodes on Dropdown (via cookies or maybe sqlite)
SetBed gcode generation/assistance
Going to try Printing via Web sent Gcodes see how that goes.

I'm hoping that the Firmware will be able to generate gcode responses from web request and return them via JSON (e.g. G31 output) much more functionality available to code then.

Matt

January 11, 2014 07:31AM
An idea could be to have an Raspberry Pi running this...
January 11, 2014 07:38AM
@Astute: If a reliable webserver can be implemented on the Duet, there is no need for a Raspberry Pi.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 07:38AM by droftarts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login