Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Ormerod Web Interface - WIP

Posted by iamburny 
Re: New Ormerod Web Interface - WIP
January 23, 2014 05:15PM
auser
nor use USB for upload which seems suspectible to mooving of the usb cable here (I'm a bit afraid that the usb connector works loose, even if I'm only plugging / unplugging the "PC-End" of the cable...

Have you soldered in all 4 of the USB connector mounting tabs, if they weren't already? Easiest done from the back of the board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 24, 2014 02:16AM
I will have to check. I got one of the duets with the 2 resisotrs "the wrong way round".
Now I just assumed that all teething problems would be fixed in the replacement.
January 24, 2014 03:24AM
@bobtidey - I run my local webserver on a Raspberry Pi running apache on raspbian (debian) so i'm fairly surprised about the case-sensitivity issue, I prefer lowercase file names in general, however i retained the Case in the filedrop file name as that is how it came from the creator.

@auser - I think the missing solder in the USB/LAN/microSD ports is a random thing generated by the soldering monkeys in some zoo somewhere (probably bristol zoo!), Put this one down to primate error i think

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
January 25, 2014 06:47AM
Just fitted my replacement Duet from Ian (thanks) and loaded the new (excellent) web interface.
And now everything is much improved. I'm printing the spare parts with ease now.
FYI The web interface froze after a couple of commands when using Chrome on a wireless connection to my LAN but works faultlessly when directly connected.

Also, will the 'add code' button be working soon or have I missed something?

Thanks

Jon (113)
January 25, 2014 10:56AM
Hi Jon,

Glad the Web Interface is working well for you, the "Add Code" functionality hasn't been coded yet, its on my todo list smiling smiley

Matt

January 25, 2014 01:11PM
No pressure!

Seriously, I appreciate your effort.thumbs up

Cheers

Jon
January 26, 2014 02:03PM
I just replaced the reprap.htm file with the new one, and am positively impressed - it looks really good, and more intuitive. With all respect to the designer for the first gui, it's (compared to the new one) more of a dirty hack.
I considered uploading the "custom" firmware, but noticed the file is 20 days old, while the post here is only four days old. Is the file dc42/RepRapFirmare/Release/RepRapFirmware-dc42.bin the correct one to get Z-probe readings on the webinterface? The mainstream firmware (57a) seems newer (Jan 16), but doesn't give readings.
Thanks in advance for any help
January 26, 2014 02:08PM
The customised firmware is at [github.com] and is only 5 days old. It is essentially the 0.57a release plus the extra support for Matt's web interface, and support for modulated IR sensors (as well as the standard one).

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 26, 2014 02:23PM
Thanks for the updated link, I noticed I was browsing the wrong branch.
January 26, 2014 02:29PM
I committed a New Version of the web interface today, a few more features, but mostly re-arranging thing to make room for the new features that are planned, I've tried to categories the different aspects of the interface and have utilised Tabbed Pages to arrange these categories, a few bugs have been fixed, and first test implementation of the Layer Print Time chart is added, with this i hope to build in some guesstimation of print finish time based on average layer time.

January 27, 2014 03:27AM
Iḿ working now with the new GUI, and I got one word for it: Brilliant! Thanks for this new version. I can foresee future enhancements to make it even better, but in its current state itś already a great addition to the Ormerod.
January 27, 2014 06:06AM
onno
Iḿ working now with the new GUI, and I got one word for it: Brilliant! Thanks for this new version. I can foresee future enhancements to make it even better, but in its current state itś already a great addition to the Ormerod.

Definitely a huge leap forward! Congratulations and thanks for these improvements.

I was wondering if there's FTP server code available for the Arduino and would that be an efficient way of uploading files? The file upload time is the only remaining gripe about the Duet control experience.

Thanks again.

Mark

Ormerod #350
January 28, 2014 03:32PM
I have commited a New Version of the web interface today.

Lots of tweaks and bug fixes and stability improvements
config.g file viewable on settings tab
File upload speed increase (likely as fast as it can be with current web server) about 160kb per minute
Web Printing - **** ALPHA ALPHA Dont use its nasty as the moment. ***
Layer chart drag scrolling (early days needs work)
Message log tab no longer duplicates messages

Matt.

January 29, 2014 05:17AM
Thanks, Matt! May I suggest a few additions:

1. A "Home all" button. This is faster than homing all axes in sequence.

2. A "Run setbed.g" button.

3. Buttons to move Z in steps of 0.05mm without having to compose g-commands. For example, make the z-buttons 0.05, 0.5, 5 and 50mm instead of the current ones. This could be made a configuration option.

January 29, 2014 05:28AM
just my 0.02:
a big YES, PLEASE for "home all & run setbed.g buttons" from my side.
I actually like 0.1, 1 and 10 mm moves
January 29, 2014 01:11PM
These updates are very welcome thanks. Making it easier to use all the time.

On the file upload speed, I thought I saw an even bigger buffer on DC-42's firmware potentially allowing even more lines to be grouped together but it now seems to be reverted to the original and the web side allows up to 5.

Was there no speed benefit above that or I guess there may have been some compatibility problems at the firmware end?
January 29, 2014 01:43PM
iamburny
I committed a New Version of the web interface today, a few more features, but mostly re-arranging thing to make room for the new features that are planned, I've tried to categories the different aspects of the interface and have utilised Tabbed Pages to arrange these categories, a few bugs have been fixed, and first test implementation of the Layer Print Time chart is added, with this i hope to build in some guesstimation of print finish time based on average layer time.

Most of the things I have printed have considerably different layer times at different points in the print, so I wonder whether basing completion time on layers will be at all accurate. As a thought, if you can read (or the user can input) the total filament length given at the end of the G file, and you can read the extruder codes as they are executed, then a better approximation might be (Minutes Remaining) = ((Minutes Elapsed)(Filament Length Remaining)) / (Filament Length Used)

Although rate of filament use is also not a constant, IME it changes less on average than the time to print each layer.

Dave
(#106)
January 29, 2014 02:19PM
Hi Dave

Unfortunately apart from a list of file names, the web interface cannot access any data related to the files on the SD card. If I had access to the G code file that was printing, it would be feasible (yet difficult) to calculate from distance traveled and feed rate (speed mm/s) a pretty accurate estimate of finish time not to mention, layer time, layer count, extrusion quantity, material cost, item weight etc. maybe in the next firmware version, hey dc42 winking smiley

Matt

January 29, 2014 02:22PM
bobtidey
These updates are very welcome thanks. Making it easier to use all the time.

On the file upload speed, I thought I saw an even bigger buffer on DC-42's firmware potentially allowing even more lines to be grouped together but it now seems to be reverted to the original and the web side allows up to 5.

Was there no speed benefit above that or I guess there may have been some compatibility problems at the firmware end?

There was a problem at the firmware end, now resolved in my latest firmware build at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. To get direct print working at full speed you need to change the reprap.js file, my version of this is at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. There is still work to do on reprap.js to get file upload working at full speed, but I'm leaving that to Matt.

January 29, 2014 02:26PM
DC,

I'll be committing your reprap.js changes and a few more to my github this evening.

Matt

January 29, 2014 05:28PM
New Version Commited to my Github

Requires FIRMWARE_VERSION:0.57d-dc42

Smoother Direct Web Printing, thanks dc42 (*** needs testing ***)
Reliable, quicker uploading via interface with progress %
Homed axis detection and warning
Quick Command Buttons

[github.com]

January 30, 2014 06:25AM
Trying out 0.57d and updated web code. Basic functionality OK but I can't seem to get file upload working.

A tiny test file like setbed.g works OK but once it needs to split the file it cracks up. Behaviour is one of two types as shown in pronterface. First is a stuck repetitive loop with Client read buffer overflow. Second is it grinds to a halt after first buffer. Either way web side is unresponsive and I have to do a full power cycle on the Duet to get it operational again.

Tried flushing the caches on browser just in case, but no difference.
January 30, 2014 07:48AM
Hi Iamburny Just wanted to thank yourself and dc42 for the great work you have done on this, I can finally upload files and although its slow at least with the progress indicator I know whats happening and I wont have to keep taking out the memory card which has already been corrupted once by this.
The addition of the z probe readings and the additional g code buttons makes it a dream to set up the bed thanks.

to test the upload I have just uploaded a 7.62mb file which is a small venus statue it took 28 minutes but it did complete.
January 30, 2014 09:46AM
My latest binary is now 57e-dc42, available at [github.com]. With this binary and some adjustments to timings in the .js file, I'm getting a file upload speed of 0.56Mb/min. This is still quite a lot slower than the 2Mb/min achieved over USB, so I'll take a further look at improving it when I have time.

For the fastest file uploads, debugging must be off. Therefore, if you have M111 S1 in your config.g file, either remove it, or send M111 S0 through the web interface before you do a file upload.

January 30, 2014 10:06AM
Attached file is Pronterface log at start of file upload showing the data overflow I get when trying to file upload.

Firmware is updated 0.57d and I tried local and remote versions with same result.

This was with Chrome in Ubuntu. I wonder whether there might be a difference with the javascript execution on Windows. Looking at the upload code there is a test against the buffer variable which I think is before it has been set. If my js environment interprets the undefined differently then it might allow a long line to be constructed and overflow the Duet end.
Attachments:
open | download - Overflow.txt (8 KB)
January 30, 2014 11:47AM
Bob, it does indeed appear from the log that the upload code is sending a line about 1024 bytes long, when the buffer size reported by the firmware is only 800 bytes. The buffer size variable should also get set by the poll messages that are sent every second, so I think you should only have a problem if you try to print or upload within a very short time of connecting.. Nevertheless, it would be good practice to initialize it to zero where it is declared, and/or test for it being null in the upload code. This will force a poll in the upload code. You might like to try doing that.

EDIT: I have attempted a fix, see next post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 12:01PM by dc42.

January 30, 2014 12:00PM
I've now updated my firmware build to 57f, which is available at [github.com]. This version achieves a file upload speed of 1.96Mb/sec, almost as good as the USB upload speed.

To get the best upload speed, disable debug (see 3 posts earlier) and if you are running a local web server, replace reprap.js by the one at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. I have also attempted a fix for the issue that Bob reported in this one.

January 30, 2014 12:09PM
Great. I'll give that a try. I think the issue with the uninitialised is that it tested the uninitialised buffer variable to see if it should update from the poll. So it was possible for the variable to not get set when constructing the first packet.
January 30, 2014 12:12PM
Thnx dc42 sounds great. I will try it later, still have several hours printing the venus statue first.
January 30, 2014 01:01PM
I tried 57f and the updated reprap.js. I still get data overflow and same behaviour.

I can now confirm this is a Chrome on Linux (Ubuntu) issue as I tried it from a WIndows platform and it is fine on that. Both Chromes are up to date and close in version number.

I see that null is not necessarily a good test for uninitialised so I did a quick test replacing that by setting buffer = 0 at the start of handleFileDrop but still behaved the same so I'll have to keep trying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login