Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Ormerod Web Interface - WIP

Posted by iamburny 
Re: New Ormerod Web Interface - WIP
January 30, 2014 01:37PM
dc42
... This version achieves a file upload speed of 1.96Mb/sec, almost as good as the USB upload speed.

WOW! this means as soon as I find time to update I will probably no longer need
usb for file upload and will be able to use the web interface exclusively!
many thanks for that I'm rellay looking forward to it!
massive thanks to dc42 and iamburny! any of you use some kinde of "tip-jar"?
January 30, 2014 02:31PM
New Version commited to github [github.com]

dc42
Thanks, Matt! May I suggest a few additions:

1. A "Home all" button. This is faster than homing all axes in sequence.

2. A "Run setbed.g" button.

3. Buttons to move Z in steps of 0.05mm without having to compose g-commands. For example, make the z-buttons 0.05, 0.5, 5 and 50mm instead of the current ones. This could be made a configuration option.

@dc42 - All these suggestion have been addressed

Requires RepRapFirmware-057f-dc42.bin - available here [github.com]

"Home all" button added, motors off moved to quick commands
Detects if "setbed.g" exists and adds a button to "quick commands" if it does
Upload progress % popup (works but i'm not happy with it, will probably move it).
Settings Tab - items here now work
Added setting (setting tab) to use Half Z movement values e.g. 0.05 instead of 0.1 etc..
includes dc42's upload changes "which achieves a file upload speed of 1.96Mb/sec".

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 02:33PM by iamburny.

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
January 30, 2014 03:30PM
Bit more on the problems using a Linux browser.

I established by stepping through the code that the first packet is constructed OK about 1024 bytes long and the system cracks up at the ajax call sending out the packet and waiting for a response which never comes.

So I then tried experimenting with maxUploadBuffer (normally set to 1024). If I use values below 380 it works OK and the file gets sent just like the windows machine.

But I don't think it is a hard buffer length problem somewhere because when I raise it doesn't crack up at one specific value. Above 410 it always fails right from the start, below 390 it always works.At some values in between it gets going and then cracks up half-way through the file. That sounds more like a timing issue.
January 30, 2014 03:30PM
Thanks Matt, that's great! The 0.05mm steps will be really useful to me. With your new files, I'm now getting an upload speed of 2.13Mb/min on a 2.5Mb file.

Please can anyone else using Matt's files and my 0.57f firmware leave feedback here, positive or negative, so that I can judge whether it is appropriate to submit a push request on github (i.e. request that RRP integrate my changes into the standard firmware).

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 30, 2014 04:59PM
short note:
- used 0.57f_dc42 with newest WIP-reprap.htm (Win7 64bit)
- first test was to upload some files - working great and fast (did not measure the time)
- Home All and the 0.05 steps are real improvements to me

I want to do a short print-test (used a new unknown gcode from slic3r) - but the print froze. After resetting the Ormerod and WIP I'm not able to upload any files (the progression window shows 100% right away, file was not listed in "Gfiles on SD"). Took me some resets and restarts (chrome and Ormerod) then I was able to upload again (2.6MB file) - progression showed 100% right away. This time the file was listed in the "Gfiles on SD" but has 0kb on the SD card.

after restart of the computer - I was able to upload again - printing at present

update:
with dc42 newest firmware 0.57g the print run through

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 01:36AM by #442.
January 30, 2014 07:19PM
#442, thanks for your feedback. I've had a couple of print hangs this evening, which I haven't had since the very early days, so I suspect a problem with my 0.57f firmware. I'm currently rolling back files and trying earlier versions to see where the fault (if there is one) was introduced.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 30, 2014 08:45PM
Looks like there was a RAM usage issue with 0.57f, despite the M111 S1 reply claiming more than 30K free memory. I've reduced the size of some buffers and I have been able to print reliably. The new binary (0.57g) is at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com].

Unfortunately, reducing the buffer sizes has also reduced the file upload speed, to 1.23Mb/min.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 08:57PM by dc42.

January 31, 2014 06:29AM
@iamburny: Absolutely magic! A vast improvement over the original version, thank you.

As for feedback.. I think swapping the "Bed" and "Head" buttons over so that the Head button is above the Bed button is more aesthetically pleasing, and I don't see the point of an "Emergency Stop" when there is a switch on the power supply that does a much better job, but that's just me smiling smiley

RS#379
January 31, 2014 07:37AM
PNut
@iamburny: Absolutely magic! A vast improvement over the original version, thank you.

As for feedback.. I think swapping the "Bed" and "Head" buttons over so that the Head button is above the Bed button is more aesthetically pleasing

And that is the same as Prontrface. It would be good to keep them in the same order as not to confuse when people change between the 2
January 31, 2014 08:55AM
Running right now, with dc42's latest firmware. - in the middle of a Nautilus print
Very nice indeed.
Thanks for your's and dc42's efforts.

One slight difficulty I had was in setting bed and head temps.
The (I assume) edit boxes to the right show nothing when I select from the arrowed options. 'Set' seemed to do nothing.
When I selected an edit box and typed in 185, nothing showed, but the 'Set' button definitely got the head temperature moving.

Greg

Ormerod #17
January 31, 2014 10:04AM
Ormerod Control Version 0.54

fixed duplicate setbed.g Quick Command button
swapped Head/Bed temps to emulate pronterface layout
Version Update message shown when a new HTM/JS file is available
made head position bigger so 4 digit number fit properly
moved Upload & Print buttons to the Gfile Tab to quick function categories seperate
added File Upload progress bar.

January 31, 2014 10:20AM
I've put a new firmware build (0.57h-dc42) at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. This version reinstates one of the larger buffer sizes, bringing upload speed back up to 1.83Mb/min. I've completed a small direct-over-Ethernet print with it already, and I'm about to start a long one.

January 31, 2014 10:39AM
iamburny

Thanks Matt, it's looking good! I'm currently running it with firmware 0.57h-dc42.

I know I'm being picky, but would the following be possible:

1. Preserve the settings - in a cookie perhaps? They seem to get lost whenever it reconnects to the Duet.

2. Another quick command I would find useful is G0 X230 Y200. This gets the head out of the way so that the bed can be cleaned. Would anyone else find this useful?

January 31, 2014 10:47AM
dc42
iamburny

Thanks Matt, it's looking good! I'm currently running it with firmware 0.57h-dc42.

I know I'm being picky, but would the following be possible:

1. Preserve the settings - in a cookie perhaps? They seem to get lost whenever it reconnects to the Duet.

2. Another quick command I would find useful is G0 X230 Y200. This gets the head out of the way so that the bed can be cleaned. Would anyone else find this useful?

Your not being picky! feedback is a good thing!

I was planning to get around to cookies at some point so custom buttons/command/temps can be added.

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 10:47AM by iamburny.

January 31, 2014 12:18PM
@GregL - the Temp dropdown list item send the code as soon as they are selected, however for clarity i've added code to populate the textbox also when a dropdown item is selected, this will be in the next release.

Matt

January 31, 2014 01:42PM
The 57h-dc42 firmware is working well for me, so I have committed it to [github.com] along with the source, and sent a pull request to RRP.

January 31, 2014 02:10PM
@dc42 - nice one =), work well for me too, I tested the new interface on Debian Chrome, copy seem to work fine, didn't try print.

Matt

January 31, 2014 06:48PM
Interesting about the Debian Chrome. Can you give details of OS and Chrome version?

I still have file upload lock up problems on Ubuntu 12.04 Chrome 32.0.1700.102 if I use upload buffers above 395. By changing the max buffer in reprap.js below this I can make it reliable.

I don't think it is anything to do with the web page or js though. I captured the network traffic (Wireshark) for a working upload and a failed one. The difference is that for the larger buffer the http request is split over two ip packets. The Duet cracks up immediately and doesn't respond.

So I am guessing that the network stack at the Duet end is simplified and is not re-assembling packets. I expect that might be tricky to fix so I am concentrating on how to configure the Ubuntu end to use larger packets and so avoid the split.
January 31, 2014 07:05PM
That sounds very plausible. Maybe it's the MTU size that is too small. If you run ifconfig, what MTU size does it report?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 07:07PM by dc42.

February 01, 2014 04:39AM
MTU is 1500 which is pretty standard

Regular GET poll packets to the Duet are about 440 bytes long

When I use a 350 byte buffer the GET sending data packets are about 785 bytes containing the whole request which sounds about right. They are all in one packet and that works.

When I use a 450 byte buffer the GET is split into 2 packets of 804 and 151 bytes and that cracks up on the first request.

I'm still trying to see what triggers the split at around that level. I'll try raising the MTU first.
February 01, 2014 07:33AM
I just update both firmware (to 0.57h-dc42) and the webfrontend (0.54), and tried uploading a file, but that instantly choked the webinterface, and it looks like no traffic passes the ethernet interface. I tried this in both Chrome (32.0.1700.77) and Firefox (26.0) on ubuntu 12.something. The upload progress bar stays at 0%, the tab with the webinterface is unresponsive, and only a reboot of the Duet in combination with a reload of the webpage fixes this. Is there anything Iḿ missing here? Or is this functionality still incomplete/buggy, or is this a Linux-only only issue?
The developed webinterface and firmware are a giant leap forward from what I found initially in the kit (back in january), and I can't express my thanks enough for all the good work put into it, as well as the support found on this forum!
February 01, 2014 08:11AM
That's the behaviour I see, See above few posts.

The workaround if you are using the local version with your own webserver is to edit the reprap.js in the js folder so that near the top the line

var maxUploadBuffer = 1024;
is changed to
var maxUploadBuffer = 350;

This can't be used for the remote version. I am trying to find why the packets are getting split on Ubuntu and causing the Duet to lock up.

Changing the MTU did not help and I wasn't really expecting it to as it is already higher than the threshold where the packet splits.

One thought that would be helpful on the remote version in the meantime would be to put the buffer setting in the Settings panel so that Ubuntu users could tune it down.
February 01, 2014 08:22AM
A local webserver is a bit tricky, unless I start abusing my laptop to serve files on localhost, but I would probably end up in trouble with the security guys at work. For now I'll just print through USB, but in the long run I hope to be able to print from everywhere, without having to connect USB.
The problem is only on Linux(ubuntu?), or are more OS' affected?
February 01, 2014 09:08AM
Hi Ian, here's a suggestion that might be good.
You have what looks like quite a good interface there.
How about placing a picture on your interface, and placing the feed buttons inline with the axi.

I keep getting caught out with the Y axis, normally after a long day at work, the brains gone on holiday, and thinking of far of
distant shores where it WARM!!!!! LoL

I think it would be good...

Yep it's a great bunch of people here, always trying to help each other...

Kim..
February 01, 2014 10:09AM
I found this in the Ubuntu manpages:

>>
By default, Linux UDP does path MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit)
discovery. This means the kernel will keep track of the MTU to a
specific target IP address and return EMSGSIZE when a UDP packet write
exceeds it. When this happens, the application should decrease the
packet size. Path MTU discovery can be also turned off using the
IP_MTU_DISCOVER socket option or the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc
file; see ip(7) for details. When turned off, UDP will fragment
outgoing UDP packets that exceed the interface MTU. However, disabling
it is not recommended for performance and reliability reasons.
<<

So if path MTU discovery is not working (perhaps due to deficiencies in the firmware), turning off path MTU discovery may help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 10:10AM by dc42.

February 01, 2014 12:15PM
Hi all,

I have upgraded the firmware to DC42's RepRapFirmware-57h-dc42.bin and iamburny's new webcontrol but ive been going around in circles for the last 3 hours.

it seems that the web interface crashes randomly when sending commands. it feels like its sent a command and is waiting for the printer to say 'yep, ive done that' but it just sits there. and then chrome comes up and asks me if i want to kill the page.

this is my process -
turn on
connect to web interface
home all axis
fine tune Z0
run set bed
run print

it will hang at any of the steps from homing axis, sometimes it even hangs when moving Z up and down.

Im pulling my hair out!
ahh
February 01, 2014 12:34PM
Hi Paul,

I've completed a short print and an 8h30min print using the new interface and 57h. However, you might want to try the previous version (57g) which is available at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. There was some sort of memory issue in 57f which I haven't yet tracked down, and 57g was my initial (successful) attempt at reverting some buffer sizes to avoid that issue. Compared to 57g, 57h increases one of the buffer sizes but not the others.

PS - you could also try attaching Pronterface and sending M111 S1 to turn on debugging. Then when the web interface hangs, see whether Pronterface is displaying any web traffic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 12:37PM by dc42.

February 01, 2014 12:50PM
Thanks David,

Ill have a go.

Ive finally managed to get it to print without hanging, even the graph on the print status is still working 22mins into the print.

The changes i made were -
Connect the Ethernet cable from the duet into the laptop directly
only used the gui buttons to home and move Z down 0.2mm. i then used the command box at the top to select setbed.g and print it, then select my file and print it. no hanging.
February 01, 2014 01:11PM
Hi,

if have finished also a few prints with direkt print without problem. Then i changed only the print speed and was frozen at 0% and at about 30%. Then i've tried uploading the file and it hangs at 30%. Then i copied it directly to the SD card, the file size of the frozen upload was 0.
But i will also thank you for your great work so far!

Frank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 01:12PM by Cash.
February 01, 2014 01:18PM
Hi Frank, would you like to try 57g from [dl.dropboxusercontent.com] too?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login