Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Ormerod Web Interface - WIP

Posted by iamburny 
Re: New Ormerod Web Interface - WIP
February 04, 2014 06:27PM
Hi Dave,

It looks like its another wireless lan issue then, a few others have also reported problems when connecting over wireless, not something I can fix I'm afraid.

Re: the bed clips I'm currently using clip frame clips which work great and don't interfere with the head at all see link [www.pictureframe24.com]

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
February 04, 2014 06:45PM
davetech
I have not tried J10 yet as I need to make up a lead( lack of Harwin connectors).
Davetech

If you can make up the lead I find the J10 powering a good option. I made a 3 header socket to 3 header socket lead using 2 wires. At the power board end the ground is connected to the left 2 pins (looking from the back and effectively replaces the jumper to turn on the ATX supply. The +5V wire goes to the 3rd pin and picks up the 5V standby. At the Duet end it goes into the 3 pin external power connector just below the 12V in. Only 2 pins are connected there and you obviously have to be careful with the polarity. I used this method originally as I had an early board where the 12V to 5V regulator wasn't working and although I got the board replaced I've stayed with this scheme. One minor advantage is that it lowers the load on the 12V rail a little bit as well as giving a nice clean feed into the board.
February 05, 2014 01:29PM
I've committed my latest firmware version 57j-dc42 to [github.com]. Improvements in this release:

- Faster web page load time, especially with Windows clients
- Fixes problem with SD card upload and direct print when using Ubuntu client and Matt's web interface
- G30 command is now recognized as equivalent to homing the Z-axis
- More accurate reporting of free memory in response to M111 S1 command

If you try this binary, please leave feedback here, stating what functions you have used successfully (as well as any issues). If I get enough positive feedback, I will submit a pull request to RRP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2014 01:30PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 06, 2014 04:55PM
Hi.
I've just updated with this firmware as well as copied files from SD-image directory to SD Card.
M115 reports latest firmware: FIRMWARE_NAME:RepRapFirmware FIRMWARE_VERSION:0.57j-dc42 ELECTRONICSgrinning smileyuet DATE:2014-02-04
But web insterface is still old, am I missing something?

As well, previously I had annoying problem with web interface, where some requests just marked as (failed) in network tab in dev tools in chrome.
Not sure why, but sometimes it is fine, sometimes it is not, like duet is failing to process response sometimes.

If you are aware of such issue, and what are your ideas of going around that problem.

UPD: FOUND IT! smiling smiley
It is in another repo, going to update now..
Huge improvement! No problems anymore using web interface.
Printing callibration parts now. So happy grinning smiley

Got some ideas using canvas, to have nice visual map of where nozzle is positioned, as well can be historical data (just in js memory), so it will even show actual movement, so once it prints, you can se sort of model in flat from top smiling smiley
As well temperature and other values, could be visualised as lines/rects/circles(pie), that will make it pretier and less "boring".
And probably dark skin can be a good addition.
Another little need, is to have at least last log message be related - what it is logging to (what it says "ok" for) and status bar with latest log message that would be visible on any page.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 05:32PM by moka.
February 07, 2014 06:29AM
I've made a change to the firmware to further improve the page load time when using a Windows client. New binary is at [github.com] (follow the link and use the Raw button to download it). I would especially like confirmation that the page also loads well using a Linux or Mac client.

I've looked at the work needed to serve the css and js files from the Duet. The web server speed is good enough now. The issue now is that browsers open additional connections to the web server so that they can download several files in parallel, but the current Duet web server is designed to only allow one connection at a time. So I'll look at removing this restriction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 06:30AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 07, 2014 07:19AM
Hi Dc

Definitely much quicker, on windows (chrome) it took just over 1.5 seconds. I'll try the same test on Debian (and maybe ubuntu) when this print has finished.

Great Work =)

Matt

February 07, 2014 11:09AM
Thanks for the brilliant web interface. I've got it running from a local server on a raspberry pi as our network runs through a proxy server and it wouldn't acces the internet files. It took some doing for me (as i'm not familiar with configuring servers or the terminology that goes along with it) but i followed an instructables on how to set the web server up and then followed this thread. It is more than adequate for everything i've thrown at it.

Thanks again
February 07, 2014 11:45AM
iamburny
Hi Dc

Definitely much quicker, on windows (chrome) it took just over 1.5 seconds. I'll try the same test on Debian (and maybe ubuntu) when this print has finished.

Great Work =)

Matt

That's pretty much what I see on Windows. The turn-around on the Windows ack seems to be about 0.2 sec which is what you get in your graph. With the ability to send double packets that speeds up x 2. On Ubuntu I see a total elapsed time from req to all reprap.htm being received at just 0.15second, Very fast and augers well for complete hosting. I did try doing this by putting all the secondary files back on flat in the www directory and adjusting the reprap.htm accordingly but the result was not pretty and ended in a -10 network connection error. I have a suspicion the Duet end may not like multiple connections that are probably being made.

If you check with Debian or Ubuntu from a VM then the underlying host stack if it is windows may well distort things compared to native operation.
February 07, 2014 12:09PM
Here's the results from Debian VM and Ubuntu VM (both running via VirtualBox) I agree with bob that this wont be as accurate as from a native OS, however i don't fancy rebuilding any of my PC's/Laptops right now!!

It is good to know that the interface functions well on these popular OS's too, I'm planning to upgrade the jQuery library to v2 in the next release and as a result dropping "Internet Exploder" support completely (not that there was much anyway!)

Matt

February 07, 2014 05:22PM
Here is the timeline for a physical Ubuntu machine. Start to finish of the initial pageload from Duet is < 0.3s. In practice the page appears with no visible lag.
February 07, 2014 06:01PM
I've just downloaded the repfirmware bin file and get 57j and 57k. Assume k is latest and the one to use?

Regards

Chris H
February 07, 2014 06:06PM
Yes.. but I'm about to publish 57l.

February 07, 2014 06:21PM
...and I've just published 57l-dc42 at [github.com] (follow the link and press the Raw button to download). Improvements in this release:

1. When G92 is used, the bed transform is applied to the requested coordinates. This means that for example, if you do G92 Z0 then the firmware now assumes the head really is at Z=0 (i.e. just touching the bed), and will report the current coordinates with Z=0 instead of assuming that the bed transform still needs to be applied.

2. You can now run the G32 bed-probing procedure without first homing the Z-axis. In this case, the Z=0 position will be determined by the first probe.

February 07, 2014 07:08PM
why would you want this interface when there are interfaces many times better???

# 500
February 07, 2014 07:12PM
rm2014
why would you want this interface when there are interfaces many times better???

Please tell us where we can find these interfaces you refer to!

February 07, 2014 07:17PM
im refering to RRP's pronterface

# 500
February 07, 2014 07:35PM
rm2014

In that case: have you actually tried Matt's web interface? I used to use RRP's Pronterface, but I find Matt's web interface much more usable for most things. The only tasks I still use Pronterface for are uploading config.g and reprap.htm, and debugging when I change the firmware.

February 07, 2014 08:21PM
rm2014

I have completely stopped using Prontrface now, i am only using this web interface!
February 07, 2014 08:24PM
dc42
rm2014

In that case: have you actually tried Matt's web interface? I used to use RRP's Pronterface, but I find Matt's web interface much more usable for most things. The only tasks I still use Pronterface for are uploading config.g and reprap.htm, and debugging when I change the firmware.

The point I was making which is probably lost since not more than a handful of people read these posts certainly not the ones who would benefit most, was that an interface may exist for others less knowledgable than some that is better for them, although admittedly I didn't specify probably should have, but then again those who would benefit are not listening, so this is a pointless mail-sorry. As far as I can tell the only benefit of this type of interface is if you want to network many printers, otherwise all other functions can be achieved elsewhere, as is the situation with so much else in life so perhaps I am making a mute point for which I apologise. The subject does however seem to be a source of interest for you, and in consideration of an absent audience and therefore futile affront I withdraw my statements in this post altogether and diminish my jabbering.

# 500
February 08, 2014 02:05AM
rm2014

Always love helpful and informative posts, congrats.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 02:09AM by iamburny.

February 08, 2014 02:12AM
Who let in the Troll?

February 08, 2014 03:04AM
rm2014

The point I was making which is probably lost since not more than a handful of people read these posts .....
As far as I can tell the only benefit of this type of interface is if you want to network many printers, otherwise all other functions can be achieved elsewhere, ......
The subject does however seem to be a source of interest for you, and in consideration of an absent audience ......

I do not actively post on this topic as I would not make a useful contribution, but I get emails of every updated post which I follow with interest, so there is much more interest in the topic than the number of active contributors! There are approaching 2,900 views and this is excludes the 'email' followers so far from an absent audience.

As for Pronterface it is good and usable and also being slowly improved, but this Web Interface is being optimised, tailored by engineers to provide the features required for quality designs, ease and speed of use and visualisation of the Ormerod status.

Another significant point is the network interface allows the printer and computer to be separated from each other which will be a huge benefit.
It also provides ground/ earth isolation which is a useful improvement for any system.

So I am one of the people you do not see, but a very active follower of this development. I pass on my thanks to the active developers and testers of this interface. Thanks! smileys with beer

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
February 08, 2014 03:30AM
I agree to a degree with both points being made above, there are those who do want to progress and improve the various aspects and its been pretty amazing to watch where the new web interface, new parts etc has gone but there are also part of the community who will manage with the simplest working system without all the bells and whistles. For me I have used consistantly the rrp precomplied prontaface, it means I can concentrate on getting printing done and playing with that side (maybe that is because I'm a mech engineer). Now the system for me is printing I am now starting to load the python prontaface and then DC42's firmware and then maybe even the Ian's webinterface although for me the terminology is bit of a struggle (lol from sw engineers no doubt.....) so I have been slightly reluctant to go there before now (printer now needs USB cable in all the time now where as 2 days ago it didn't....arhhhh...not helped by company laptop security which shuts it down after 15minutes which can't be changed so kills unattended printing) so the simple solution that rm2014 was talking about to is starting to unravel for me. Is there a detailed installation instruction page for the new webinterface like the detailed instructions rrp have for the python prontaface, the new webinterface it looks tantalisingly good from all the comments but not convinced I like a lot of people will be able to get it running without the noddy details, whats a 'local web server' might just highlight the potential gulf between the developers and some of the users or is it just me!

Regards

Chris H
February 08, 2014 03:46AM
Hi Ormerod276,

Besides installing one of my versions of the firmware (and then testing it with Pronterface if you like), all you need to do to get Matt's web interface working is:

- Download reprap.remote.htm from Matt's github repository [github.com]
- Rename it to reprap.htm
- Use Pronterface option File->Upload reprap.htm to upload it to the SD card (or take the SD card out and do it manually).

This assumes that the computer you use to control the Ormerod has Internet access. You only need to run a local web server if it won't.

February 08, 2014 06:02AM
I'd like to add my support for all the great work done by Matt and dc42 on this interface. One of the major attractions of Ormerod was its use of Duet and the potential Ethernet / Web interface to provide freedom from a direct USB connection and the possibility of rapid development and extension of functionality that is easier in a web environment. The original reprap web implementation was fairly broken and therefore most people ended up using pronterface for everything whereas it should really have just been a local debug and commissioning tool.

The new web interface now works really well and, like others actively using it, I only use pronterface for uploading config and reprap.htm

As dc42 the remote method requires virtually no set up but that can cause difficulties for some users who can't reach the internet from their printer connection. The local web server method also works very well but needs a little expertise in setting up. The goal I think is to be able to locally host the support files in the Duet www folder so that it becomes a self-contained web server again. I think that is attainable.
February 08, 2014 06:19AM
I was checking further into why the Windows web page load times were significantly slower than Ubuntu Chrome. The page load was taking 10 times longer.

This is down to the Windows TCPIP stack using Nagle's algorithm for 'optimising' network performance. Ubuntu supports this as well but is off by default. The effect of the Nagle is that it attempts to minimise short packets by grouping together and to do this it waits 200mSec to see if there is anything else to send. A lot of the time this is OK but there are situations where it kills network performance. This apparently is well known in gaming circles where response time is everything and there are a lot of short packets. It applies here as well as the Duet with limited memory is effectively waiting on Acks before sending the next chunk of data. This means the Duet send up to about 3k of data and waits for an Ack which in turn is delayed by 200msec by the Nagle.

So what do gamers do. They turn off Nagle. Unfortunately this is not exposed in some nice tick box but involves registry editing. Only do this if you are comfortable with that.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces. There you may find a number of branches, one for each network interface. FInd the applicable one (with the right ip address) and then add 2 DWORD32 values in that interface. TcpAckFrequency should be given a value 1. TCPNoDelay should also be given a value 1. I restarted my machine to make sure the values were used but I don't know if that is necessary.

The effect of this is seen in this timeline of the initial page load where the time of the page load is now like Ubuntu and the page appears instantly. I don't see any ill effects from having Nagle disabled for general internet usage.

February 08, 2014 06:26AM
Thanks Bob, that's very interesting! The original Duet firmware leaves around 30K free RAM and my changes reduce that to about 20K. So there is scope for more TCP/IP buffering; but I'm trying to leave that 20K RAM free for improvements in other areas.

February 08, 2014 07:07AM
Hi just tried to update firmware using dc42's file - 0571-dc42.bin
I used the command
bossac --port=COM4 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-0571-dc42.bin -R

This produces the output:-
Erase flash

No such file or directory

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks
Paul
February 08, 2014 07:12AM
Paul,

the filename seems wrong, i think the 571 should be 57l (lower case "L" not number 1)

Matt

February 08, 2014 07:13AM
Did you by any chance type five seven one in the filename instead of five seven ell? I considered skipping L and moving straight to M in case this happened.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login