Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware version 53 not recognised

Posted by Squags 
Firmware version 53 not recognised
January 09, 2014 06:08AM
Hello all,
I received a replacement Duet board today (thanks for swift postage to Germany) and have just wired it up to the machine.
Firmware version 53 (current on github: [github.com] ) successfully flashed to the board, but then try as I might, I couldn't get my computer to read the device at all (through UScool smiley.
I tried:
Backdating the computers clock to Dec 13 in case it was a licence issue
Reinstalling newest drivers/ardunio software
Updating SD card (already a replacement card, which worked fine on old board)
lots of restarting/unplugging/off and on again etc...

For now I have flashed over a previous firmware version (48, which I had saved locally); which has resulted in the machine being found perfectly by my laptop.

Thanks,
Squags
Re: Firmware version 53 not recognised
January 09, 2014 06:33AM
Hello Squags

Well nothing has changed much between version 0.50 and 0.53 apart from the version string, the change in a comment and two thermistor values.

Have you tried the 0.5 firmware?
RepRapFirmware-050-30-12-2013.bin

As far as I can see nothing has changed from 0.48 and 0.50 to do with USB.

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 09, 2014 06:35AM
Hi Squags

We've had a couple of reports of this behaviour, and we're trying to track down the problem. I finally have both a Windows 7 environment, as well as my usual Ubuntu. Hopefully you can help, by answering a few questions?
1. What operating system are you using?
2. How did you get the firmware file? Did you download it directly from Github? Did you download the 'RAW' version? If you don't do this, you get an html file! Can you redownload it to check the file isn't corrupt?
3. Did the bossac progress bar do it's normal thing?
4. How does the board show up in the Device Manager (if relevant), after pressing erase/reset, after flashing, and then after resetting again?

I'll double check the binary by flashing boards here.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 06:36AM by reprappro.
January 09, 2014 07:20AM
Hello all,
Thanks for the replies and links to firmware version 50 - here are the results of troubleshooting:
Firstly, there seems to be a big file size difference between the firmware versions:
The .bin files (v53) are only 27KB and 28KB; whereas previous files were about 165KB - can this be right?

In reply to Ian,
1. Windows 7, 64 bit
2. I got the files from this page: [github.com] by right clicking on both files and 'save link as' before moving to my C:\Temp folder. I'm not certain if both files are required, so I moved both files and put: "bossac --port=COM5 -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware.bin -R" as suggested in the instructions.
3. The bossac bar did it's normal thing
4. In Device manager, I get:
After erase/reset: Bossa Program Port (COM5)
After flashing firmware v48 or v50, I then get: Arduino Duo (COM4)
After flashing firmware v53, there is nothing - the machine has apparently disappeared!

For v50 (link above), The M115 command only returned that firmware had been set to v50 after I removed the date suffixes from the file name - presumably the command script is only looking for the .....firmware.bin file?

Thanks again,
Squags
January 09, 2014 07:37AM
Squags
2. I got the files from this page: [github.com] by right clicking on both files and 'save link as' before moving to my C:\Temp folder.

That's the problem then, you've downloaded the HTML. Click on the "Download ZIP" button instead. Or download my version 53 + Ethernet fixes build here.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 09, 2014 07:40AM
Or left-click on the file, and on the next page click "Raw" to get the binary only.

RS-Online Ormerod #263, Kossel mini with Minitronics, Prusa i3 MK2
January 09, 2014 07:43AM
btw if you previously used older firmware, check that the sys and www directories on your SD card are up to date with the ones on github in the SD-image folder. There are some changed/added files.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 09, 2014 08:17AM
Thanks - yep - that was the problem... God I can be a numpty sometimes! Thanks smiling smiley
January 09, 2014 08:54AM
Great! Downloading the html rather than the raw file is easily done...

Don't forget to update your SD card with the files from the SD-Image folder - you need to keep the two up-to-date together (firmware and SD card, that is). It's probably easiest to download the whole firmware .zip file each time, so you have all the parts, and no complication with 'Raw' files.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 09, 2014 09:18AM
Doesn't it check for a valid firmware file when you update the firmware?

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 09, 2014 09:43AM
Thanks for that - I'll do that in future...
The strange thing was that my laptop thought the smaller one was a .raw file, rather than showing it as an html file... It probably would have checked for valid firmware, but as I couldn't see the printer after it was installed; I couldn't tell... It's all going well now - currently printing out my first test pieces smiling smiley
Thanks again for all the support from RRP and this forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login