Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building RS 301

Posted by dfloyd99 
Building RS 301
January 09, 2014 10:14AM
Hi Guys

I am after a little help, I have spent far to many days/hours building this printer and now I get to the print of printing I get (see attached photo), I have check all the belts all seems OK, any ideas would be great?

Support from Ian has been great, but after two trips to the factory, I am starting to loose the will to live..

Dave
Attachments:
open | download - ugly-print-1.jpg (188.7 KB)
Re: Building RS 301
January 09, 2014 10:18AM
Hi Dave,

don't loose the faith for now winking smiley

Did you check your Y-axis (esp. the belt below the heated bed)?

Markus

XBee & electronics blog: [lookmanowire.blogspot.com]
January 09, 2014 10:42AM
Which version firmware are you using? The version 53 (latest) firmware includes a correction for the extruder temperature measurement (it was reading about 12C too high at PLA printing temperatures), but it looks like RRP didn't update the gcode files to take account of this. So if you are using version 53 firmware, it might be worth looking for the following line in the .g file:

G10 P0 S205 R0 ; Set extruder temperature

and changing 205 to about 193.

EDIT: I agree with the others, looks like the main issue is a loose or slipping y-axis belt. Nevertheless, the texture of your part higher up looks rather like a print I did at a higher than normal temperature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 11:04AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 09, 2014 10:52AM
David! Don't give up when you're so close!

I think the Y belt is slipping in the slot under the bed, where the two ends of the belt interlock. It doesn't slip one way, because the end is in the upper slot, but can slip the other way. The fix is to first get the belt nice and tight, then put a cable tie around the two bits of the belt on the other side of the y-axis-rib, push it up against the rib, and tighten.

Or bring it over and I'll do it for you!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 09, 2014 11:47AM
Hi

Thanks

A slipping belt is what I had in mind, but I have got it as tight as I can and I have added a cable tie already.. I will take it apart in the morning and set it up again.

I have given up on the bed levelling and done it the old fashioned way with a 3 mm drill bit and some longer bolts, that was simple in comparison.

Dave
January 09, 2014 12:31PM
dfloyd99
Hi

Thanks

A slipping belt is what I had in mind, but I have got it as tight as I can and I have added a cable tie already.. I will take it apart in the morning and set it up again.

I have given up on the bed levelling and done it the old fashioned way with a 3 mm drill bit and some longer bolts, that was simple in comparison.

Dave

Is there slippage between the heated bed and the mdf/cardboard? (can you push the glass/aluminium around while the carriage itself stays still?) I had this problem and resorted to taping the glass to the mdf (about an inch of overlapping tape on each surface) at each corner.

Ray
January 10, 2014 05:58AM
Hi Ray..

That was a very good suggestion, while I had use the tie warps the lock the belt, the belt still slipped in the bed by a couple of mm, I have moved the tie wraps and things have improved 99%, now back to getting the bed 100% level.

Thanks

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login